advertisement

The return of the Wam Show 2022

I would maintain my observation as just that. Not a criticism.

That said, you’d need to assault me in some way to get me to go near Facebook.

On the subject of knowing what the line up is, if it hasn't been mentioned already, Paul K is going to be exhibiting a highly customised Sondek with a SUPATRAC Blackbird and a system with Alchris speakers. I'll be there to answer any questions and I'm very much looking forward to meeting any of you who can make it.

Remember, its an amateur enthusiast show put on for enthusiasts. Its a very well run affair, but as they're not trying to sell you anything, the best way to look at it is like this: it will be nothing you've heard in any of these combinations before, and exploring the rooms to see what whets your appetite is absolutely part of the ethos, fun and benefit of the show. If you only go to hear systems on a list that you like the look of, you'll miss an awful lot of good sounding stuff you weren't aware of, or wouldn't have known would work well together. Its a show of discovery. Enjoy the exploring!

I think you have the wrong end of stick here WAM does have a list, but it's lack of easy accessibility that's at issue, nothing more.

I was there for the full day but still didn't get into every room. Some great systems and very unique set ups. A grand day out.
Congrats and thanks to all involved in putting the show on.
Myself and my cousin were there (you might have seen me hopping around on crutches), I think we managed to get to every room, spent longer in some naturally. Everyone went to a tremendous effort to pull this off. Both myself and my cousin want to exhibit our systems next year (preferably in adjacent rooms), it’d be great to experience the full weekend!

sunbeam room wam22 by , on Flickr

just one pic from neils room
This was interesting, I own (and absolutely adore) active Ninkas, the speakers in this room are a heavily modded version of them, all the drivers are different, but they still sounded much like ninkas to my ears, I’d love to spend more time with them in a familiar setting. They were impressive. Neil always pulls something interesting out of the bag.

This was interesting, I own (and absolutely adore) active Ninkas, the speakers in this room are a heavily modded version of them, all the drivers are different, but they still sounded much like ninkas to my ears, I’d love to spend more time with them in a familiar setting. They were impressive. Neil always pulls something interesting out of the bag.

Thanks for the feedback linnfo.

Let me know ASAP if you're likely to have an Exaktbox in the near future. You're welcome to borrow them, but they won't stay as they are for very long!

I had a great time, and caught up with many people I hadn't seen since pre covid.
I liked the venue aesthetically much better than the Kegworth venue of the last couple of years - its vibe and slightly down-at-heel grandeur were much closer to the original Scalford. It was a beautiful building, and echoed the Railway Station over the street - I can't imagine other than they were both built at the same time.

Although I didn't exhibit, I would have thought it easier to get a good sound at Kegworth, where the rooms were very solidly built and of orthodox proportions. Some of the Stoke rooms looked difficult - L shaped and even some with sloping ceilings too.
Nevertheless, sound was of an extremely high standard, and nobody's system would have been out of place soundwise in a normal "trade" show.

I think I heard every room, though perhaps not each system giving its best.
Standouts for me, in no particular order were:
Daves stacked Lineum/Genexxa tweetered system...my jaw hit the floor!
The Snell A iiis system - did space/soundstage exceptionally well.
The Boenicke system - lifelike, and I mean this as high praise.
Lurch's system - rockin' stats!
The Rega system - fun and drew you into the music
The open baffle system - Orangeart? - did a superb job on Zep's In my Time of Dying
Mf1000's ubersystem - lovely scale, clean dynamics and of course, bass, bass BASS! AND - thanks Jane - cake, cake CAKE!
The Phillips room - came back a few times to this...cassettes....who'd'athoughtit?
Bigrods Gales - superb!
Special mention for the sound and craftsmanship of the horn gramophone looking horns, Radian driven, built up from cnc'd 'petals', and playing classical too.

Interestingly all the above compromised a variety of technological approaches, particularly in speakers - IB to motional feedback and all points in between - yet all produced exceptional results.

I didn't take any pics, but there are plenty on the thread on the Wam.
Must admit I was inspired, and might possibly exhibit next year, microbes permitting.
Chapeau to all who exhibited and organised - a massive amount of work paid off in spades.

It was a real pleasure to attend - big thank you to Paul of Solid Sounds (https://www.solid-sounds.co.uk/store) and Alan of Alchris (https://alchrisaudio.co.uk/) whose room sounded excellent, and the organisers and exhibitors for all the effort that went into a very interesting show.

Alan's Alchris V200 speakers sounded great and looked like a bargain to me - it's a lot of loudspeaker for the price, and the sound was impeccable.

Paul's Solid Sounds rack/shelf systems and plinths looked great - the woodwork is beautiful - and I was proud to see the Blackbird on Paul's very quirky dark rainbow and matt black Sondek.

I found some time to listen to a handful of rooms and there were many enjoyable surprises. I could happily have spent two or three days at such a show hearing everything on offer. My first visit of many, I hope.

If you didnt go, then that is a real shame:
  • Good way to catch up with your hifi mates youve not seen in 3 years.
  • It was a damn good hifi show.
  • Raised several thousand pounds for a Kids Hospice in Stoke.
  • You could have won a £4000 brand spanking new Audio Note amp AND Audio Note goodies for a song in the auction.
Our Stories - Dougie Mac

North Stafford Hotel was chosen:
  • Central England location, very easy to drive to, opposite train station.
  • But #1 it was affordable and available and thats what made the show possible in the first place.
  • Same reason Scalford was chosen all those years ago.
Pics of what you missed on the Wam
(6) Wam show, Stoke, 2022 photos | HiFi Wigwam

and
(3) 2022 HiFi Wigwam Stoke Show | Facebook

advertisement

Back