advertisement

Denmark play in black shirts in Qatar

Cheese

Bitter lover
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...p-protest-kits-over-qatar-human-rights-record

A pathetic PR move, hypocrisy in its purest form. There are things to say about the event, many things went and are wrong, protest is necessary. Yet with this cheap shirt swop, the Danish football federation (or whoever is behind this decision) agreed to look good on the international stage, and even enjoy some fame if they play well, but they didn’t have the balls to stay away from the World Cup entirely. I say, if you don’t agree with an event, stay away from it, and if you decide to go, then behave properly and play the game. Quite like in the days when you were a teenager and were invited to a party.

Using a sports tournament to raise political awareness. How dreadful.

John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...p-protest-kits-over-qatar-human-rights-record

A pathetic PR move, hypocrisy in its purest form. There are things to say about the event, many things went and are wrong, protest is necessary. Yet with this cheap shirt swop, the Danish football federation (or whoever is behind this decision) agreed to look good on the international stage, and even enjoy some fame if they play well, but they didn’t have the balls to stay away from the World Cup entirely. I say, if you don’t agree with an event, stay away from it, and if you decide to go, then behave properly and play the game. Quite like in the days when you were a teenager and were invited to a party.
Bollocks. Utter bollocks, as per your track record.

Using a sports tournament to raise political awareness. How dreadful.

John_Carlos%2C_Tommie_Smith%2C_Peter_Norman_1968cr.jpg
Good answer/example indeed, but times were totally different. Then you really needed balls to protest in any way, and those sportsmen stood for an entire race, their own. They certainly were genuine, and they got in trouble afterwards. The Danish federation and players, in turn, don’t risk anything.

Good answer/example indeed, but times were totally different. Then you really needed balls to protest in any way, and those sportsmen stood for an entire race, their own. They certainly were genuine, and they got in trouble afterwards. The Danish federation and players, in turn, don’t risk anything.

It could be that the Danes are standing for the entirety of humanity, not just one race

It could be that the Danes are standing for the entirety of humanity, not just one race
Yes, then openly say it before the Cup and stay at home. This action would have come at a cost, but would have been genuine. Apart from this I reckon the guys responsible for the Qatari mess are to be found in Qatar and a few other greedy football dignitaries.

They could have refused to participate, but without a widespread boycott it might either have been an empty gesture or perhaps encouraged others to do the same. Is it desirable that their participation and choice of kit will embarrass the Qatari authorities? Or are they likely not to give a shit as they pocket the millions? Still, I do agree that participation is in itself to condone the regime. A bit like Phil Mickleson emphasising how much he did not condone Saudi human rights abuses whilst trousering $200 million from the Saudis.

Hugely disappointing that (afaik) not one EPL player spoke out. In fact Eric Cantona is the only person I’ve heard denounce the tournament.

https://theathletic.com/3626573/2022/09/26/cantona-world-cup-qatar-beckham/

Still, I do agree that participation is in itself to condone the regime. A bit like Phil Mickleson emphasising how much he did not condone Saudi human rights abuses whilst trousering $200 million from the Saudis.
True, and true too. Sums up what I wanted to say. This Cup has turned into a farce to the point I can’t figure out any other reason to participate other than money. World Champion in Qatar 2022, what a glory.

Football thankfully seems to have made the transition from being the home of racists and thuggery to actively fighting it. Much to my surprise as someone with zero interest in the sport a lot of real political activism is coming from within the teams, players and some supporters. Respect. Every move forward is welcome.

Using sport in this way, as say Lewis Hamilton has to promote #BLM and LGBTQ+ in F1, is IMHO massively more effective than boycotting. It is a game-changer. People remember the activism, not the teams that don’t up. It all becomes part of sporting history, often in iconic ways, and therefore shifts things forwards.

Good on Denmark. Respect.

The very fact that it has raised an issue to your own consciousness to the degree that you feel the need to promote to others is a plus for raising the issue.

I think the statistics are something like 3 migrant worker deaths constructing the stadia per game. Something to think about while we sit back with our cold beer to watch a game.
I never said this wasn’t true, and I also wrote that protest was necessary. But actual one please, thank you. Apart from this we don’t have a TV set so couldn’t care less.

The very fact that it has raised an issue to your own consciousness to the degree that you feel the need to promote to others is a plus for raising the issue.
I vaguely heard of the issues in Qatar before the shirt action, thank you.

No, it just expresses my deep aversion towards PR-driven ‘protest’ actions. That’s the hypocrisy of it.

By your own admission it has made you far more aware of the core issue. In fact it irked you so much you even posted a thread here and that action made countless other people aware of their protest (e.g. I’d not heard about it as I have no interest in football). Scale that up to everyone else who has reacted in a similar way and that is remarkably effective action by Denmark. Good on them. They totally pwnd you!

Bollocks. Utter bollocks, as per your track record.
It is bollocks, not turning up to a tournament like the WC is only going to end up with big repercussions in the game. Wearing a black shirt as a message will have a big impact in my opinion. Better to be there with a message than not there and forgotten.

And? You are protesting about the Danish football team without risking anything, so by your own logic, your protest here is hypocritical and you should withdraw your protest.

advertisement

Back