advertisement

Living Room Layout. Ideas?

That's one lovely room...if it helps, i did a complete renovation earlier this year and agree with 'cutting 42's comments. My room size is a little smaller but similiar shape apart from me having bay windows. A couple of pics show it's usabilaty...

Or position speakers in alcoves as suggested upthread...i had one in an alcove and one just out...the chair won :D before returning against the wall in front of some new panels.

Look forward to the results.

nice

Just an idea: if the fireplace is not operating, and you have no intention of making it work as a fireplace for wood/coal, why not just remove the whole thing from floor to ceiling? You would have a "clean" wall between the shelves on which to hang a painting or something, or you could continue the shelves across the wall and fill it with books, CDs, LPs, whatever and could even place a pair of fairly large speakers horizontally. If you could eliminate the two radiators in the shelves, leaving just the two under the windows, it would help.
Or if possible, get the fireplace working again.

Just an idea: if the fireplace is not operating, and you have no intention of making it work as a fireplace for wood/coal, why not just remove the whole thing from floor to ceiling? You would have a "clean" wall between the shelves on which to hang a painting or something,

You are Barry Bucknall AICMFP.

Just an idea: if the fireplace is not operating, and you have no intention of making it work as a fireplace for wood/coal, why not just remove the whole thing from floor to ceiling? You would have a "clean" wall between the shelves on which to hang a painting or something, or you could continue the shelves across the wall and fill it with books, CDs, LPs, whatever and could even place a pair of fairly large speakers horizontally. If you could eliminate the two radiators in the shelves, leaving just the two under the windows, it would help.
Or if possible, get the fireplace working again.
He careful, some chimneybreasts are load bearing. A mate wanted to do this and the load bearing wall went upstairs into the bedroom and held the roof up. He left it in place.

I have no idea who Bucknall is or what AICMFP means!
Bucknall was a TV DIY bloke in the 1960s/70s. He was behind the trend to rip out period features and make everything look 'modern'*.

AICMFP means 'And I claim my five pounds', a newspaper reference which forms part of the plot of Graham Greene's Brighton Rock.

* Fortunately the previous owners of our house left all the period stuff in place, including the servants' bells. THUS WE WIN.

Bucknall was a TV DIY bloke in the 1960s/70s. He was behind the trend to rip out period features and make everything look 'modern'*.

AICMFP means 'And I claim my five pounds', a newspaper reference which forms part of the plot of Graham Greene's Brighton Rock.

* Fortunately the previous owners of our house left all the period stuff in place, including the servants' bells. THUS WE WIN.

Ah, thanks!

Didn't AICMFP come from some sort of competition, they would have a local celeb or journo walking around in the centre of whatever town and publicise it in that day's paper, the game was to approach him with a copy of the local rag and say "you are XXX YYY and I claim..." . He would hand over the cash, take your name I imagine, this week's prize was won by Mrs Ethel Biggersdyke of West Bromwich. Make sure that you buy next weeks West Brom Bugler for your chance to win, etc.

Yes, that's essentially what kicks off the plot of Brighton Rock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Rock_(novel)#Plot

'There is an incidental link between this novel and Greene's earlier A Gun for Sale (1936), in that the murder of the gang boss Kite, mentioned in A Gun For Sale, allows the seventeen-year-old sociopath Pinkie to take over his gang and thus sets the events of Brighton Rock in motion.[2] The murder of Kite had been brought about because of a report by Charles "Fred" Hale in the Daily Messenger about his slot machine racket. Now Hale has been sent to Brightonto distribute cards anonymously for a newspaper competition and realises that he is being hunted by Pinkie’s mob.'

Yes, that's essentially what kicks off the plot of Brighton Rock:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brighton_Rock_(novel)#Plot

'There is an incidental link between this novel and Greene's earlier A Gun for Sale (1936), in that the murder of the gang boss Kite, mentioned in A Gun For Sale, allows the seventeen-year-old sociopath Pinkie to take over his gang and thus sets the events of Brighton Rock in motion.[2] The murder of Kite had been brought about because of a report by Charles "Fred" Hale in the Daily Messenger about his slot machine racket. Now Hale has been sent to Brightonto distribute cards anonymously for a newspaper competition and realises that he is being hunted by Pinkie’s mob.'
Maybe the what I got it from, I remember I read it in my teens but not many details. Doesn't Pinkie carry a vial of acid to use as a weapon, and one of his intended victims snatches it from him and throws it in his face, after which in an attempt to escape he falls to his death?

Yes. The ending of the (original) film is slightly different to the book, but generally a faithful adaptation. The 2010 re-make was shockingly bad.

advertisement

Back