advertisement

Living Room Layout. Ideas?

Wrong thread title.

It should be “How do I fit my HiFi into this beautiful room (in which the oak herringbone floor is to be refitted and where there’ll obviously be no TV)?”

Seriously.

I love it, obviously, and look forward to seeing the pics.

Putting the TV above the fireplace is the best way to ruin such a lovely room. Please don't put a TV anywhere in it. Can't you put a relatively small TV (say 32-40 inches, which really ain't that small) in the bedroom and watch while lying on the bed?

Or, if you really, really must, a TV that sits in the fireplace and can be run up out of sight behind the wall.

I guess one option might be one of those fancy picture frame TVs that look like a piece of artwork when not in use, I don't know much about them but someone on here has one I'm sure I've seen it in the system pics thread

If you really need four rads should insulation be the main priority?

You could have a discreet TV with a projector onto the wall above the fireplace.

Looks a very well proportioned house.

Not keen on TV above the fireplace from both looks and height. Four rads only needed if keeping the cast iron ones, which was the intent. Am leaning towards speakers in the alcoves with the TV elsewhere or not at all, so remove two radiators and add a more efficient one on another wall.

Tellys should be at eye level when viewer is in seated position...and as others have said perhaps not in such a stunning room. Do you have a potential snug elsewhere in the house?

I would argue night and day to get rid of the alcove radiators.

Is there a potential for a TV projector and a retractable screen that can come down twixt the speakers? - which I would have either side of the fireplace…

Such a pleasant room, and a decent size. Shame there will be a TV in there :(

Agree with not putting TV over fireplace, I also would not put speakers in front of the windows. I would put TV and speakers on the blue wall nice and spaced out, good height for the TV and space for the speakers. I would always use the hifi speakers for the TV as they are always better. You can then have your sofa's on the window wall and opposite the fireplace. I love the rads and would keep them as features along with the fireplace

If the 15 ' width of the room is across the fireplace, you have room for either stand-mounts or ported floor-standers out from those alcoves and a good sized TV in front of the fireplace. This is my positioning and it works for hifi and TV. You'll need the sofa opposite but away (+/- 2') from the wall.

You have choices in that room but it depends entirely on what kit you're going to use. I'm amazed at the response amount here on 'Off Topic' but I feel that 'Audio' will bring in more suggestions. Shelf designs in alcoves are nice; rad's maybe not but shouldn't be a problem with forward positioned speakers.

Don't forget speaker etc cabling routes at this stage; not so easy to hide when all id completed. Kit should be by the sofa for easy access and distance from speakers. Hopefully, the door doesn't compromise this.

Did someone suggest a floor rug yet. Q

I would suggest adding a wall hanging rug(s), they would soak up the acoustic reflections.

I used to have a larger room but with a similar layout.

It used to suffer with acoustic anomalies cos of the width and 15' high space...

Did sound like stadium rock though once I got it all together. :D

Gawd. how I miss it so much after moving on. :(

Anyone with similar set up with hi-fi and furniture under windows and a tv in the corner? Any other ideas?

Paul.

I have the TV in a corner, kind of. It's a different type of room, and it's got a big bay window. I keep the TV very low, because the lower ugly things are, the less intrusive they are. I don't have a turntable and I control everything with an ipad, so I can hide most of my "furniture" on the floor behind a chair. The speakers are not hideable, and they are in front of the window. Oh -- I don't use the hifi for TV sound, and it's not a big TV.

Speakers in the alcoves would look better than in front of the windows, but yes loose two rads.

There are some fabulous new radiators that have the look bit more efficient, so look at those, also if the floors up, and you’re putting it or another wood floor back down don’t discount underfloor heating?

If you can get away without a TV in there, great do it.

carpet wise you need a Persian Tabriz carpet c1890, or a Heriz if you’d like a more relaxed look. Good luck I really look forward to seeing it progress.

I have seen some amazing TV units that lift up from behind a sofa, but don’t think I You’ll have a sofa in the right place The other option is above the fireplace behind a mirror - again can be really well done, and for not a main TV room, but occasional watching it looks really good.

That's one lovely room...if it helps, i did a complete renovation earlier this year and agree with 'cutting 42's comments. My room size is a little smaller but similiar shape apart from me having bay windows. A couple of pics show it's usabilaty...

Or position speakers in alcoves as suggested upthread...i had one in an alcove and one just out...the chair won :D before returning against the wall in front of some new panels.

Look forward to the results.

advertisement

Back