advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

this kind of legislation, onerous as it might be, is more easily borne by large landlords,

A priori yes, but in reality it is hard for them too. Some large landlords with tenancies and houses in multiple occupation struggling to make their business plans work. One large landlord recently decided to sell off those assets it thought would be hard to make energy efficient (there is a major change to the energy requirements of rentals in the pipeline). I don't have any HMOs but there the issue is to do with increasingly stringent licensing requirements (I think -- not my market!) I have a vague memory that housing associations are also in trouble because of legislation. I can supply references if you want.

Another is that the author sees the state not simply as acting in the immediate interest of landlords but as mediating between rentiers and renters: you guys can’t have it all your own way because you’re stupid and selfish, no offence, and will exploit renters so severely that the whole racket will collapse - you need protecting from yourselves.

Oh, in that case, I am grateful to the conservatives for saving me from myself. However I didn't sense any collapse in the air when I was free from all the legislation.

Thirdly, the rentier category is being used quite broadly here, to refer to companies that make money from assets, including infrastructure and intellectual property.

This is a reasonable point. But whereof I cannot speak, thereof I will remain silent.

The thing is, do any of those people seem to be in retreat to you? Or do they seem to be getting stronger?

At this point they are clearly getting stronger. In the Conservatives they have found a party they can buy outright. I view the Tory Party as a front for the hedge-fund industry and a money laundering opportunity for the super-rich. It is a front propped up by a highly invested right-wing press owned by barons with their hands deep in the same till.

I do think Labour are different. They are stupid, cowardly, terrified of the Tory press and the electorate that press has so successfully gaslit, but despite their simply awful internal party structure I do not think they are corrupt. Certainly not in the same crass banana republic way the Tories are. I don’t think you could just rock up into a dimly lit back room and buy a peerage, a state contract or influence tax policy.

Oh, in that case, I am grateful to the conservatives for saving me from myself. However I didn't sense any collapse in the air when I was free from all the legislation.
You guys never see it until it's too late! That's why you need help. Luckily I don't have to rent any more but I've seen the current costs and, woah. That's probably not sustainable. But it's even less sustainable if for that money people are also living in the kind of deathtraps that landlords favour.

I am wondering how long it takes for a dangerously deluded true blue Tory to put their head over the parapet and say what a good job Truss is doing. Has a politician effed up so spectacularly in such a short time? Maybe we should be having a sweepstake about how many days she will have before enough letters of no confidence are handed to the chair of the 1922 committee.

You guys never see it until it's too late! That's why you need help. Luckily I don't have to rent any more but I've seen the current costs and, woah. That's probably not sustainable. But it's even less sustainable if for that money people are also living in the kind of deathtraps that landlords favour.

I agree totally that London rents are ridiculous, it's made me a better landlord in a way, because I always say to myself that if they're paying that much I really have to give them the best service. How sustainable it is I can't say -- I plan to start to exit in 10 years, so it had better be sustainable that long.

At this point they are clearly getting stronger. In the Conservatives they have found a party they can buy outright. I view the Tory Party as a front for the hedge-fund industry and a money laundering opportunity for the super-rich. It is a front propped up by a highly invested right-wing press owned by barons with their hands deep in the same till.

I do think Labour are different. They are stupid, cowardly, terrified of the Tory press and the electorate that press has so successfully gaslit, but despite their awful internal party structure I do not think they are corrupt. Certainly not in the same crass banana republic way the Tories are.
They are quite capable of corruption, as MAndelson's track record demonstrates (plenty more from the New Labour era too, but the names escape me). Also, Google Labour council, housing, revolving door. As recent experience shows, they're a match for the Conservatives in terms of nihilism, lawlessness, contempt for basic liberal norms. And they're amazing at rationalising their complicity with corporate money and power (greater good, compromise, not letting the best be the enemy of the good etc.) I'm telling you, they are well up for this. I imagine the eventual settlement would favour a slightly less terrifying and corrupt kind of money that the Conservatives', but it would be marginal.

I agree totally that London rents are ridiculous, it's made me a better landlord in a way, because I always say to myself that if they're paying that much I really have to give them the best service. How sustainable it is I can't say -- I plan to start to exit in 10 years, so it had better be sustainable that long.

Rents everywhere are stupid, at least in relation to wages. £700 p/m for a not particularly nice 2 bed terrace in a dead end town with nothing going on.

Rents everywhere are stupid, at least in relation to wages. £700 p/m for a not particularly nice 2 bed terrace in a dead end town with nothing going on.

One of the worst roads in our city tried charging 900 pumps recently ...they would have to pay me 900 to live there !! Crazy rents ever increased by the utterly stupid tory policies

I am wondering how long it takes for a dangerously deluded true blue Tory to put their head over the parapet and say what a good job Truss is doing. Has a politician effed up so spectacularly in such a short time? Maybe we should be having a sweepstake about how many days she will have before enough letters of no confidence are handed to the chair of the 1922 committee.
Paging Mick the P

Google Labour council, housing, revolving door.

That's certainly been the case in Greenwich for many years as I'm sure you're aware.

We got a new council leader this year who works for a consultancy who, er, lobby councils on behalf of large developers. Perfect man for the job!

advertisement

Back