advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

And she hasn't even done 'Deflection 101'.

She has, in every interview. She just uses ridiculously long pauses rather than bother with forming a bridging sentence. It is very labour-efficient, e.g:

Interviewer: “What have you to say to those with jobs, mortgages and pensions who are terrified of your economic strategy?”.

(an eternity passes, during which time several species of insects and an especially pretty yellow frog become extinct)

Truss: “We are ensuring energy prices are capped at £2500 for a typical household.”

So exactly the same technique as Blair, Cameron, Corbyn, Starmer, May, Johnson etc, but she’s refined it down to not needing any words. Genius.

PS In fairness these were all radio interviews, so she may have been using interpretive dance.

Oh, I've just taken some time to listen to the interviews...Holy Cow she's toast!

She can't even do that Politician trick of speaking when you have nothing really to say to cover the awkward pauses...

She’s just reading a memorised script. Same with that Philp bloke. I can imagine their press officers told them not to deviate from it under any circumstances. Meanwhile the chancellor is nowhere to be seen. There must be some pretty serious conversations going on amongst the 1922.

She’s just reading a memorised script. Same with that Philp bloke. I can imagine their press officers told them not to deviate from it under any circumstances.
Indeed, politicshome.com have got hold of the CCHQ document that sets out the 'lines to take'. Every line you have already heard from Truss and Philp, plus a few more that even they didn't think would fly. The document's title is 'Growing the economy in a responsible way' (Twitter)

Indeed, politicshome.com have got hold of the CCHQ document that sets out the 'lines to take'. They are everything you have already heard from Truss and Philp, plus a few more that even they didn't think would fly. The document's title is 'Growing the economy in a responsible way' (Twitter)

They seem to have missed off the worked example of what happens to someone’s mortgage when their IR goes from 2% to 6%. That will make the energy subsidy look like loose change.

I'm not sure who was on Radio 4 lunchtime news, someone from Conservative Home maybe, saying that there were Upsides as well as down sides to the policy and if everyone did not panic we could find out which is the bigger in a few years. Radios are hard to throw through windows with this double glassing

I'm not sure who was on Radio 4 lunchtime news, someone from Conservative Home maybe, saying that there were Upsides as well as down sides to the policy and if everyone did not panic we could find out which is the bigger in a few years. Radios are hard to throw through windows with this double glassing

Is that the same 50 years we wait to find a Brexit positive ? Or is that 49 years now ?

A better course of action would’ve been to use the borrowing to fund wage rises to close the gap on prices and thus tackle inflation.

Any government money spent would then be spent back into the economy and might actually stimulate growth.

Even better would be a windfall tax. Avoids the borrowing to pay, and any resulting interest. Leaves scope for *actual* investment being easier. As it is, they'll flog off the NHS to pay for the shambles. No doubt what their rich mates really want to happen.

“To assume that a falling housing market would be a concern for the new Tory leadership is analogous to assuming that it should have opposed Brexit. It is to rely on outdated understandings about where the party’s main fealties lie. What if, in its pandering primarily to rentiers, it is shedding its loyalty not just to productive capital but to homeowners?”

https://www.newstatesman.com/economy/2022/09/uk-economic-crisis-decoding

Excellent article accounting for what seems like the most puzzling aspect of Truss’ approach, her shafting of the Tories’ key constituency, homeowners.

Excellent article accounting for what seems like the most puzzling aspect of Truss’ approach, her shafting of the Tories’ key constituency, homeowners.

The article is behind a paywall, so I can’t comment, but for as long as I can remember Tory loyalty and policy is defined behind closed doors at black tie donor events. Government policy has never not been for sale. These days the buyers are offshore oligarchs and multi-£bn hedge funds etc. As ever there are only two types of Tory voter; billionaire fraudsters and their marks.

advertisement

Back