advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

Caught a snippet of a local radio interview. Sounded as though she was just reading (nonsense) from a speech. Why TF isn’t she on BBC1, Radio 4 etc. Get her in front of Brillo to defend herself. I can only think it’s because local radio interviewers are crap and inexperienced and she knows she’ll be toast.

Her handlers know they could not risk her on national media (or to any long interview) in her current state of mind. The pauses before every answer (as we hear her brain struggling to remember the lines) would eventually be longer than the answers.

She's bad at the best of times but sounds flatter than ever this morning. Worrying.

Good old DB pensions. Magic if you’ve got one, just shows how fragile they are.

Yeah, they are "fragile" That's the word. Survived decades of economic shock, a global financial crisis, a pandemic, energy crises, wars in the middle east, an ageing population.
And yet the simple and reckless actions of a demagogue Tory prime minister (only the most powerful job in the country ) and her ideologue chancellor (second most powerful job in the country) have been enough to destabilise them? "Fragile" right enough.

Your denial of reality exactly mirrors the reality-denying nature of so much Tory rhetoric. An inability to change tack no matter what.

These Tory truesisms; "Nanny state", "Trots", "Hard Work Brings Success", "Self Made Man", "Marxists", "Trickle Down Wealth", "British Workers Are Idlers" all have the feel of catechisms absorbed at father's knee and repeated throughout life, without ever having been subject to rational analysis or real-world testing. Just slogans. Just words. A mantra used to make people feel better about vast inequality and cruel, heartless social policy.

Jesus she sounds like a f***ing plank. Good god surely its time for a protest boys, bet she is glad for the train strikes lol

Just doing her rehearsed lines. But her tone is very monotone and dull. Probably somewhat shell-shocked. Cannot communicate naturally. 8.17 on Radio Kent https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/live:bbc_radio_kent

She is frighteningly out of her depth.

"I have to do what I believe is right for the country and what is going to help move our country forward." “This is the right plan.” https://www.theguardian.com/politic...conomy-conservatives-uk-politics-live-updates
Could someone have implanted a chip at a Lebedev jolly?

There's a process whereby you can join a party as a civil servant, but you have to declare it etc.

It probably isn't good for my career, but I've had enough. Specifically I've had enough (and this reflects my age) of the suspicion that even I could do better at actual politics (and certainly Government) than these people. They are simply making it easier for economic advantage to be played forward and further amassed. The language of economic "freedom" - while it might once have had a point even forty years ago when somehow loosely tied to social mobility - has finally been played out for me.

I'm also genuinely impressed by much of the Labour front bench.

Rats and sinking ships come to mind here.

Must be bad inside the tent.

I am feeling a bit sad for Ed Miliband as it seems to be everyone's fault but his, despite him being the one in favour of chaos.
I’ve decided to blame Tim Berners-Lee. And the neoliberals of course, but I blame them for everything. Including causing me to forget to start any cold brew last night. Bloody neoliberals.

Eureka moment: What if Tim is himself a neoliberal? Aha - I think I may have found a solidly possible blamee…

Last edited:
She promised, explicitly, an end to austerity, confidently saying that it’s all affordable because they can borrow. I certainly got the impression that it was all prepared, they were ready to hit the ground running. Effectively Adam Toose is saying it was a ruse to justify further austerity, but I don’t see why it was necessary to be misleading in the context - that’s why I’m slightly sceptical of some of his analysis.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/l...scal-rules-despite-experts-impossible-1755855

Cameron provoked the markets and it worked for him seems that’s what these idiots thought they would do too but it blew up in their faces

One thing that occurred to me is the weapons-grade idiocy and national sabotage we saw in Friday was only a “mini-budget”. IIRC there is a ‘proper’ one on the way, I think in November.

They called it a "not-a-budget" to avoid having to have an OBR assessment (even though they said they were happy to do one). What's coming in November is the spending half (i.e. loads of cuts) to make it a full budget where the effect on the nation's balance sheet will be complete and there will be an OBR assesment.

I think their "plan" was that this shock would bump start a bit of growth and they could use this to win an election next Spring and get another 5 years. The problem they have is that the <Tory economic ineptitude> ... <economic harm> ... <spending cuts> sequence is much more mushed together than usual so the cause and effect is just going to stick in people's minds.

Even my Thatcher loving Mum, who has is still enthusiastically blaming Tony Blair for everything, is a bit shell shocked by it all.

Hopefully there will be a load of anger and protest around the Tory Conference next week, though I’ve not seen anything organised yet. I think there is some strike action scheduled then too.

One thing that occurred to me is the weapons-grade idiocy and national sabotage we saw in Friday was only a “mini-budget”. IIRC there is a ‘proper’ one on the way, I think in November. Given it appears huge swathes of Tory MPs are refusing to even attend Conference this year I wonder if there is now a very real risk of that budget not being passed in the HoC? The Sunak faction would vote against or abstain, as would the ‘red wall’ lot. That may be enough to sink it. If that is the case it is VONC and GE time. If nothing else it will hopefully force Truss and Kwateng to reverse-out from the IEA lunacy that now owns our politics a fair way as we all now know beyond doubt what it does in reality.
They’re going to “control departmental budgets with an iron fist”- they’ll probably cut the overseas development budget and sell the NHS. That’s where this shower are ideologically anchored. Kate Andrew’s will be moving to Downing St.

Reactions: PsB
I very much doubt that Liz Truss could ever join the dots....

Oh I'm not sure about that. She has got to PM by hook or by crook. And is now levelling the 5% further up and the 95% further down, simultaneously. Surely what she was chosen by a couple of hundred thousand people to do.

Here’s a chart of what the bond market was doing whilst Truss was doing her “I’m sorry, the government is out to lunch right now, please call back later” radio broadcasts earlier this morning (Twitter).

Interesting that Philp regards real term benefit cuts as 'departmental efficiencies'.

I'll say it again; Its a Coup d'etat by the batshit fringe.

advertisement

Back