advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

I’m up another £k overnight! The ‘max’ value of my collection was around the £106-110k level, always fluctuating a bit, now it’s showing as nearly £122k. ‘Median’ value has shifted from about £52-54k to >£62k.

The Conservatives: great for your record collection, shit at absolutely everything else.
Interesting times when your record collection is worth £100k and your house is worth 10.

The Truss mini-budget is focused on stimulating faster growth. Today’s BoE rate hike announcement is focused on slowing growth in order to lower inflation. Weird to see contradictory policies working against one another. Also hard to understand why Truss does not see inflation as the more urgent problem to address.

[
Another Adam Tooze article, this time reflecting on what the high profile critics of Trussonomics are up to. I know it seems perverse to focus on that but I think it's interesting and essential.

https://adamtooze.substack.com/p/chartbook-156-project-fear-30-or

You have to ask why she didn’t say in her campaign that she’s going to go for growth by deregulation and charter cities and tax cuts, and to balance the books she’ll have to cut spending. Unless, and this could be the case, the only way she could be sure of being chosen for PM was to say that she will not cut spending. It just all sounds like a gothic conspiracy theory to me, but maybe politics is like that.

Interesting times when your record collection is worth £100k and your house is worth 10.

CPWDVUy.png

Judging by the latest Swiss franc exchange rate, I calculate that I should be in a position to buy the UK in a few weeks - but whether I'd want to acquire that big a headache is another matter entirely...

I’d go ahead and buy it, strip all assets and list it on eBay for scrap/sold as seen or even as as a do’er upper/project.

On second thoughts………….there’s no assets to strip :(

Have you told any of your colleagues?

There's a process whereby you can join a party as a civil servant, but you have to declare it etc.

It probably isn't good for my career, but I've had enough. Specifically I've had enough (and this reflects my age) of the suspicion that even I could do better at actual politics (and certainly Government) than these people. They are simply making it easier for economic advantage to be played forward and further amassed. The language of economic "freedom" - while it might once have had a point even forty years ago when somehow loosely tied to social mobility - has finally been played out for me.

I'm also genuinely impressed by much of the Labour front bench.

[

You have to ask why she didn’t say in her campaign that she’s going to go for growth by deregulation and charter cities and tax cuts, and to balance the books she’ll have to cut spending. Unless, and this could be the case, the only way she could be sure of being chosen for PM was to say that she will not cut spending. It just all sounds like a gothic conspiracy theory to me, but maybe politics is like that.
Well she did say the first bit, deregulation and tax cuts anyway - might have mentioned charter cities but I wasn’t paying attention. As for the cuts in spending that would be taken as read by the people who chose her - and I don’t mean the members.

Well she did say the first bit, deregulation and tax cuts anyway - might have mentioned charter cities but I wasn’t paying attention. As for the cuts in spending that would be taken as read by the people who chose her - and I don’t mean the members.

She promised, explicitly, an end to austerity, confidently saying that it’s all affordable because they can borrow. I certainly got the impression that it was all prepared, they were ready to hit the ground running. Effectively Adam Toose is saying it was a ruse to justify further austerity, but I don’t see why it was necessary to be misleading in the context - that’s why I’m slightly sceptical of some of his analysis.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/l...scal-rules-despite-experts-impossible-1755855

The Truss mini-budget is focused on stimulating faster growth. Today’s BoE rate hike announcement is focused on slowing growth in order to lower inflation. Weird to see contradictory policies working against one another. Also hard to understand why Truss does not see inflation as the more urgent problem to address.

And detaching from your largest market just before such policies is bonkers. And Truss and BJ knew it but put personal gain above the interests of the country.

Reactions: PsB
Zombie economics explained.
Here are the BBC Local Radio Stations PM Liz Truss is on this morning and their timings.

0800 LEEDS
0808 NORFOLK
0815 KENT
0822 LANCASHIRE
0830 NOTTINGHAM
0838 TEES
0845 BRISTOL
0852 STOKE

advertisement

Back