advertisement

A moment of speaker weakness...

chiily

PFM Special Builder
This could end up being a pipedream, but I think the time has come to branch out in to some bigger, bolder speakers, so this is how my thinking is going...

"Those Klipsch Cornwalls look bloody lovely. But look how big they are! Hmmm, how about something like a large (ish) Tannoy (old/new, no idea)? Maybe a pair of Forte IVs.."

I have that itch for some large, high sensitivity speakers, something to fill the room with a bit of kick. Don't get me wrong the 57s I have are fabulous, wonderful sound, but maybe a little, well, without that bit of bottle and humff.

I'm after suggestions please for speakers in the same price bracket as the Forte's, but cheaper is good too. No problem with second hand stuff, or last year's model.

I've a demo lined up at Midland Audio Exchange for a pair of Forte IV and I'm sure Jon will add a couple more to the mix.

Amp would be a swap in and out of Radford STA15/MA15 and Leak ST20. Source streaming and an LP12 via a Paradise stage and a miniDSPFlex.

Hi,

I don't know what pipedream means, but I have been there too. All of a sudden, 6-inch woofers and 83dB/1w didn't seem reasonable to me anymore. Turning the room into a large pair of headphones was not my cup of tea. The ViewMaster effect inside a definite box whose enjoyment is limited to a sweet spot on the sofa didn't interest me.
I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy III. In our living room, a success - lively but balanced, no 'horn' sound, rich and evolving midrange, a sense of immediacy and cheerfulness never before experienced. With at least 96dB sensitivity and 100w RMS power handling. Meaning that a 5w tube jewel or a solid state power machine would equally satisfy the appetites of the speakers.
I tried them with a Pass Labs INT-25, a PrimaLuna EVO100 integrated, a Bow Technologies Wazoo, a GoldNote S-1. The PL was possibly the best.

Being basically an idiot, and what's worse an audiophile, I wasn't happy with something that made me happy so I sold them. I tried small monitors again - nothing could make them sound decently. In the end, I had to resign myself and buy the Heresy III again. I won't sell them anymore. The ease of presentation, the richness of the content, the infectiously joyous way they throw good music in space are irreplaceable. They are not perfect - who cares: everything is enjoyable and of good quality. True good quality!

I mention that my journey to Klipsch has begun in 1975:
- AR 4x
- AR 2ax
- AR 16
- AR 6
- Epicure 10
- Linn Kan 1
- Linn Kan 2
- DIY two-ways
- Magneplanar
- rega ELA
- Aedon Audio NPS2
- JMLab Focal
- Marten Design Miles II
- Naim SBL
- Naim N-Sats
- Naim Ariva
- Naim Ovator S-400
- rega RS7
- Harbeth HP3esr...

such a bore.
So here I am, with my second Heresy IIIs and no intention to change. They are powered by a simple, early 2K TEAC A-H500i. All happy.

Best,
M.

Have a look at Zu. None of them take up more than more than a square foot of floor space. They are high sensitivity and usually between 8 and 16 ohm. They’re a speaker which divides people into love/hate. They tend to sound awful at shows and there’s years and years of controversy to read about over measurements. Ultimately they do what Klipsch does and arguably make it a bit more fun. When you hear them in the right set up you’ll get it.

Wow that’s brave! I really like my Zu Druids. So far, they are better in this room than ProAc, Audio Note, Acoustic Energy, Shahinian, Q Acoustic, Neat and Living Voice. I don’t have space for Klipsch, Tannoy, unfortunately. I’d like to try Cube Audio.

I've just swapped some JBL K2 s9800s for Klipsch Cornwall IVs. I tried the Forte's and loved them and would have been perfectly happy with them but I went for Cornwalls when ch have a similar sound system signature but more of.

I'd previously had Tannoy Canterbury's and other exotica but the Klipschs just pump out music. Best by a long chalk

Wow that’s brave! I really like my Zu Druids. So far, they are better in this room than ProAc, Audio Note, Acoustic Energy, Shahinian, Q Acoustic, Neat and Living Voice. I don’t have space for Klipsch, Tannoy, unfortunately. I’d like to try Cube Audio.

I aspire to Druids but the WAF round here is nil. She’s learnt to love the Superfly which are really Druids in a 1950s inspired box.

The Heresy is the smallest of the (real) Klipsch speakers. But they're still pretty big. The Cornwalls and Fortes are even bigger! Of course in a huge room, this matters not but in a typical home, they are overpowering, both visually and sonically. Smaller monitors with a strategically place sub can get you 80% of these behemoths but for 100%, there's no substitute for size.

If your dealer has a pair of La Scala's, try to listen to them. They are my alltime favorite Klipsch speakers. I presently own a pair from '77, and a pair of similar year Cornwall's. I've owned Fortes, other Cornwall's, Heresy's. The La Scala's beat them all without breaking a sweat. They do a better job of simulating a live setting then any other speaker I've owned, or own.

I think that La Scalas are the most beautiful among Klipsch speakers, other than being possibly a great sonic experience... To me they represent all that generous, sincere, old fashioned HiFi should be - if possible.
:)
H.

A friend of mine ran Quads for years. Loved them. After he heard my system he bought Isobariks and has sold all the Quads.

Point? There is more than one way to get a satisfying sound.

I'd like to hear Klipsh myself, the idea does appeal. You could look at Fyne. Same designer as Tannoy so efficient and even the smaller ones have a big sound. The guy who designed them uses valve amps.

I think that La Scalas are the most beautiful among Klipsch speakers, other than being possibly a great sonic experience... To me they represent all that generous, sincere, old fashioned HiFi should be - if possible.
:)
H.

The new editions are especially beautiful, but I'm happy with my plain old one's.
92-E52-A69-99-B7-4-A44-9116-CDE2-E622-D65-A.jpg

This could end up being a pipedream, but I think the time has come to branch out in to some bigger, bolder speakers, so this is how my thinking is going...

"Those Klipsch Cornwalls look bloody lovely. But look how big they are! Hmmm, how about something like a large (ish) Tannoy (old/new, no idea)? Maybe a pair of Forte IVs.."

I have that itch for some large, high sensitivity speakers, something to fill the room with a bit of kick. Don't get me wrong the 57s I have are fabulous, wonderful sound, but maybe a little, well, without that bit of bottle and humff.

I'm after suggestions please for speakers in the same price bracket as the Forte's, but cheaper is good too. No problem with second hand stuff, or last year's model.

I've a demo lined up at Midland Audio Exchange for a pair of Forte IV and I'm sure Jon will add a couple more to the mix.

Amp would be a swap in and out of Radford STA15/MA15 and Leak ST20. Source streaming and an LP12 via a Paradise stage and a miniDSPFlex.

seen a lot of stuff re cube. Would love to hear them too

Very nice, has got me tempted to seek out some Klipsch to listen to.
Which Tannoys do you have @steveinspain ? Have been eying up some 10" Tannoys - any experience here of Turnberry + valves?

Have a look at Zu. None of them take up more than more than a square foot of floor space. They are high sensitivity and usually between 8 and 16 ohm. They’re a speaker which divides people into love/hate. They tend to sound awful at shows and there’s years and years of controversy to read about over measurements. Ultimately they do what Klipsch does and arguably make it a bit more fun. When you hear them in the right set up you’ll get it.
Thank you all for your suggestions so far, really interesting and I appreciate it.

I found this YouTube very useful, especially about the "sound in my head" bit he describes the sound I would like. There is a scene from Betty Blue, when the four of them are dancing to music on a Jukebox, enjoying Tequila slammers (with bitter lemon, very important), just before the news of one of the friend's mother dying. The character of sound from the Jukebox is kinda where I want to be.

Oh, and he talks about the Zus.

La Scalas...well...yes please, they look fabulous, but WAF :(

This review I also found be useful, I'm going to have to hear some Heresy's IVs too.

Any suggestions from the world of JBL?

Hi,

I don't know what pipedream means, but I have been there too. All of a sudden, 6-inch woofers and 83dB/1w didn't seem reasonable to me anymore. Turning the room into a large pair of headphones was not my cup of tea. The ViewMaster effect inside a definite box whose enjoyment is limited to a sweet spot on the sofa didn't interest me.
I bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy III. In our living room, a success - lively but balanced, no 'horn' sound, rich and evolving midrange, a sense of immediacy and cheerfulness never before experienced. With at least 96dB sensitivity and 100w RMS power handling. Meaning that a 5w tube jewel or a solid state power machine would equally satisfy the appetites of the speakers.
I tried them with a Pass Labs INT-25, a PrimaLuna EVO100 integrated, a Bow Technologies Wazoo, a GoldNote S-1. The PL was possibly the best.

Being basically an idiot, and what's worse an audiophile, I wasn't happy with something that made me happy so I sold them. I tried small monitors again - nothing could make them sound decently. In the end, I had to resign myself and buy the Heresy III again. I won't sell them anymore. The ease of presentation, the richness of the content, the infectiously joyous way they throw good music in space are irreplaceable. They are not perfect - who cares: everything is enjoyable and of good quality. True good quality!

I mention that my journey to Klipsch has begun in 1975:
- AR 4x
- AR 2ax
- AR 16
- AR 6
- Epicure 10
- Linn Kan 1
- Linn Kan 2
- DIY two-ways
- Magneplanar
- rega ELA
- Aedon Audio NPS2
- JMLab Focal
- Marten Design Miles II
- Naim SBL
- Naim N-Sats
- Naim Ariva
- Naim Ovator S-400
- rega RS7
- Harbeth HP3esr...

such a bore.
So here I am, with my second Heresy IIIs and no intention to change. They are powered by a simple, early 2K TEAC A-H500i. All happy.

Best,
M.
I think the Heresys in my room may be a better choice. Reviewers come down to level of bass heft really separating the Fortes from the Heresys. Mind you I'm a little wary of ported speakers previously preferring sealed boxes for their bass speed.

All of the heritage Klipschs look good to me...though I'm easily pleased.

And on the plus side my wife has given the green light for new speakers...the game is on!

advertisement

Back