advertisement

Has the Beeb upgraded its picture quality?

timH

pfm Member
It may be me but for the last couple of days picture quality on the Beeb seems way better - is it my imagination?

Tim,

Have you visually measured your TV and conducted a dem blinded and level matched?

You need to visually measure your TV with VEW, which is like REW but different.

Joe

I have. I put on a blindfold and watched the BBC and couldn't determine any change in picture quality. I conclude it was all a dream, a hallucination, or possibly I talked myself into it while drunk. Or something.

It may be me but for the last couple of days picture quality on the Beeb seems way better - is it my imagination?
It’s because picture quality, like oil, is paid for in USD, and these are worth more in Britain now. Similarly if you heat your house with kerosene it will be a little warmer than before. I know all this must be true, I read it on Twitter.

Picture quality of what exactly? The BBC doesn’t exist, it is now largely bought-in programs from independent production companies. Certainly the case with much drama, soaps, light entertainment etc. I notice BBC4 in HD seems to have reappeared, but to be honest I’ve not watched anything on the BBC for months now. Emily Maitlis leaving Newsnight was pretty much my cue to exit! I’ll be back next Glastonbury.

Picture quality of what exactly? The BBC doesn’t exist, it is now largely bought-in programs from independent production companies. Certainly the case with much drama, soaps, light entertainment etc. I notice BBC4 in HD seems to have reappeared, but to be honest I’ve not watched anything on the BBC for months now. Emily Maitlis leaving Newsnight was pretty much my cue to exit! I’ll be back next Glastonbury.
Thought the recent three-part drama, Crossfire, starring Keeley Hawes was excellent; real edge-of–the-seat stuff.

Now you mention it, yes it does seem better but I hop and skip around channels and streams so hadn’t made the connection.

OK. I have no knowledge of Sky Glass. But the BBC stream in various resolutions and levels of 'data compression'. This can change when events prompt it. e.g. the recent 'reshuffle' of UHF TV broadcasting where two sets of transmitters were shut down as the spectrum had been flogged off to net/mobile companies.

As a result the level of visible detail *can* alter. In your case it may be that the arrangement with "Sky Glass" has changed. Dunno. You'd have to ask them or someone who can capture and analyse their output. I just use Terrestrial (DVB-T2) broadcasting and the BBC iPlayer.

The picture is better on the radio anyway. :)

Certainly frozen planet 2 is quite incredible

Agreed, but the downside is that I need to put on another pullover to watch it. Seriously, I didn't think quality wildlife prog's could get better but I was wrong; somehow, the content and photography continue to improve. D.A.'s mellifluous but sparing commentary is still unmatched i.m.o.

I love the photography but I can't bear the jeopardy stuff. I know, nature in tooth and claw and all that, but I can't watch it and feel entertained by it.

advertisement

Back