advertisement

King Charles III

It could be argued that it’s only now that we’re starting to see a conservative govt.
True - a decade of austerity was cynical and destructive but it did not reach the levels of ineptitude that we have come to expect from Tory governments.

The Conservatives are back, and Kwarteng has just reignited the proud flame that torched the economy in 1992 (Wikipedia), 1987 (Wikipedia), the early 1980s (Wikipedia), the early 1970s (Wikipedia), and singed the edges of the British flag in 1956 and 1961 (Wikipedia). Go Tories!

Last edited:
Well, up until this morning, the tax burden was at the highest level for 70 years. That’s very, very un-conservative.

It that true? Looks to me that apart from the early 60’s and 90’s it has been fairly consistent
52378525258_f7ab5b3957_z.jpg

52377352892_67317657d8_z.jpg

True - a decade of austerity was cynical and destructive but it did not reach the levels of ineptitude that we have come to expect from Tory governments.

The Conservatives are back, and Kwarteng has just reignited the proud flame that torched the economy in 1992(Wikipedia), 1987 (Wikipedia), the early 1980s (Wikipedia), the early 1970s (Wikipedia), and singed the edges of the British flag in 1956 and 1961 (Wikipedia). Go Tories!

Yep. £ and FTSE down the toilet, usually they’d move in opposite directions. Total mess, too much debt at the root of the problem, now they’re piling on more.

It could be argued that it’s only now that we’re starting to see a conservative govt.
I guffawed involuntarily when I read that. This has been a spectacular 12 year decline under your party and we haven’t reached the nadir yet though I’m sure it’s approaching and that it’s going to be very deep and not fully reversible. It will break the back of the United Kingdom.

I guffawed involuntarily when I read that. This has been a spectacular 12 year decline under your party and we haven’t reached the nadir yet though I’m sure it’s approaching and that it’s going to be very deep and not fully reversible. It will break the back of the United Kingdom.
Why be content with ****ing business when you can **** britain?

I guess its true (and sounds like a useful intervention, not something Andy would have had any time for), but no doubt prompted by a very busy palace PR team who will be seeking to drip feed the media with positive stories like this to build-up C3's public persona.

I doubt if Truss could have managed such success in a similar role. Any intervention from her would likely have finished off the British cheese industry for good.

Listen, I think it would be neat if the king had sort of an ombudsman role, solving little problems with the bureaucracy like this, using his august moral authority only. Main thing is he'd have to have a care not to waste his silver bullets.

There are posts in the QEII RIP thread on the story that the Palace wants to seize all but an hour's footage of the funeral/accesssion (Guardian), but I thought it better to post here.

First, this shows that the UK monarchy is not just a 'constitutional monarchy' with no power. It is covertly powerful, and has the power to shape the national narrative. In the interest of parliamentary democracy, it needs reining in (I had to be careful with the spelling there).

Second, it shows how the control of 'access' can be enough to constrain the press. We see this in the way the parliamentary lobby dare not criticise the incumbent government because they will be deprived of 'sources'. The monarchy is doing the same here, implicitly threatening to freeze out any dissenting media.

Third, it shows how the Palace is completely out of touch with the modern world. Digital media are so easy to duplicate, and so easy to publish (especially in jurisdictions in which the Palace has no recourse) that this kind of 'D-notice' approach to control of media can only fail.

The Palace request is so wholly reactionary that it must be resisted. My (admittedly childish) reaction would be to urge the media companies to collect an hour of the clips that the Palace wants to suppress (boos at Cardiff Castle, heckling of Andrew and Charles, police suppressing people holding blank pieces of paper, all the bits that the Scottish independence movement might use to bolster their arguments, etc.) and send it to the Palace instead of an hour of 'solemn mourning'. I think we can all agree, it's a good job I'm not in charge.:D

New monogram.
I'm a bit disappointed in this. I preferred Elizabeth's cypher, where the crown looked like someone had accidentally sat on it. The fact that Charles has reverted to the Tudor crown (broken up and sold in 1649, after Charles I was beheaded) that his mother rejected in favour of the actually-existing St Edward's Crown (made for Charles II in 1661), makes me think that monarchy might not be the progressive force I had been led to believe.;)

The new version with the Scottish crown is much better. Pleasingly 'sat upon':
https://www.royal.uk/his-majesty-kings-cypher

Another venerable British institution under the microscope:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-62999844

Time to cancel it?

Time to fully acknowledge that fact and face up to the past. “Cancelling” is a truly moronic right-wing term used by people, almost always racists, seeking to airbrush the past and live under a long-established revisionism of victors narratives and rose-tinted nationalism. The real history should be unflinchingly documented and honestly told. We should not cower from reality. No one with a brain is really asking for anything else.

Time to fully acknowledge that fact and face up to the past. “Cancelling” is a truly moronic right-wing term used by people, almost always racists, seeking to airbrush the past and live under a long-established revisionism of victors narratives and rose-tinted nationalism. The real history should be unflinchingly documented and honestly told. We should not cower from reality. No one with a brain is really asking for anything else.
The problem is that taking an honest look at history is seen as being ‘unbritish’ and the current obsession with uncritical flag worshipping reinforces such rose tinted nationalism*. In the name of truth and inclusive democracy, it should be discouraged.

*like that phrase, I’ll be stealing it

advertisement

Back