advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

For me yes it's one a year even with a 'covid age' of 76. Only the very old and the highest risk groups had 2 this year to give extra protection during the summer wave. For the under 50s it's not even 1 a year. My wife can't get one at all even 11 months into long covid. She used to run marathons prior to her covid and is now just about holding on to her job thanks to the benevolence of her employer. The risk of long covid is unrelated to fitness or to severity of infection and is running about 5% of all infections at present.
Very sorry to hear this. Wishing you and your wife well.

Paul,

Thanks, she and I thought this was the end, it was that serious. But, thankfully, she pulled through though not without issues. After being bedridden for a month she was so de-conditioned that she can't get around without a wheelchair.

Joe
Joe, best wishes to you and your mum. Hopefully she'll recover to closer to her old self in time, and hopefully that won't take too long.

For me yes it's one a year even with a 'covid age' of 76. Only the very old and the highest risk groups had 2 this year to give extra protection during the summer wave. For the under 50s it's not even 1 a year. My wife can't get one at all even 11 months into long covid. She used to run marathons prior to her covid and is now just about holding on to her job thanks to the benevolence of her employer. The risk of long covid is unrelated to fitness or to severity of infection and is running about 5% of all infections at present.
Gav, I don't think I was aware of your wife's long Covid issues. Sounds grim, and is a very good indication that having decent fitness and a relatively normal immune system is no guarantee.

Hope she returns to normality very soon.

Thanks, Steve. Me mum managed to avoid COVID for 2.5 years, but got it from another patient at the hospital (who got it from a visitor), while she was admitted for something else.

After being infected, she was placed on oxygen for four weeks and IV antibiotics for a secondary pneumonia infection. COVID is very much not over, and for the frail, elderly, immunocompromised it's still life threatening.

Joe

John,

Are you inviting a discussion on the pros and cons of the MRNA vaccine? I’ve only seen a one-sided discussion on this thread.

Sure, if you have articles from reputable, peer-reviewed journals. I'm somewhat less interested in anecdotes from blogs with shitty typography.

Joe

Dull question: OH tested positive on Monday. First test in ages so could have been positive for a bit - we initially assumed symptoms were flu jab related.

Today I have a lot of the same symptoms but I'm still testing negative. Might that just be because there's not enough viral load?

I recall articles from last year about the delay between infection and a positive LFT result.

We'd both somehow dodged it until now so a bit of a refresher course required..

With wheezy thanks in advance!

Dull question: OH tested positive on Monday. First test in ages so could have been positive for a bit - we initially assumed symptoms were flu jab related.

Today I have a lot of the same symptoms but I'm still testing negative. Might that just be because there's not enough viral load?

I recall articles from last year about the delay between infection and a positive LFT result.

We'd both somehow dodged it until now so a bit of a refresher course required..

With wheezy thanks in advance!
Don't know what the average is these days but last time around it took me 4 days to test positive, from onset of symptoms. Good luck to you both, take it easy if you can.

Don't know what the average is these days but last time around it took me 4 days to test positive, from onset of symptoms. Good luck to you both, take it easy if you can.

That's useful to know - thanks Sean. OH seems a bit better at the mo - main symptom now being brain fog. Obviously hard to tell the difference with me..

Upset to be missing Audiojumble this weekend!

An immunocompromised man in Thunder Bay, Ont., who feared the consequences of relaxed public health measures died last month after testing positive for COVID-19.

Joe Lunn, a heart transplant recipient, told CBC News in March that he was worried about the Ontario government's decision to do away with vaccine certificates in public places.

He had also expressed concerns about its plans to end mask mandates, saying he felt safer in public when others were also taking precautions against spreading the virus.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thunder-bay/immunocompromised-death-covid-19-1.6597716

That's a perfectly acceptable personal decision, but bad advice to give to others. I'm also fit and healthy (5 a day everyday, exercise every day, compete in triathlons) and my last brush with flu (confirmed at the Dr), in my late 40s, put me in bed for 3 days, and seriously fatigued for several weeks afterward. I had to postpone a holiday for a couple of months. If the flu shot can reduce my odds of a repeat I'll take it.

I also know some very healthy adults (also runners / triathlete) who've been poleaxed by Covid. Not hospitalized, but not fun either. Again, one booster a year seems like a reasonable precaution.

So reasonably fit half marathon runner here was absolutely poleaxed in Jan 21. Took probably three months to get anywhere near back to health, since vaccinations I’ve definitely had it two times more, possibly three, each time it’s been very mild, and within a week I’ve been back to being as active and capable as previous. I’ll have a vaccination please. It staggers me that the ‘I’m not putting anything in my body because my body is a temple’ mindset still prevails in some communities. I eat well, exercise substantially, and take care of myself. Without the vaccine I was very ill. I’d much rather take it than spend six weeks completely inactive.

Weekly update time and we're back to 1000 daily admissions 998 (26/9) cf 781 last week. They've taken to leaving us with a Monday figure on the Thursday update, which will typically be rather low when cases are rising like this.

Big spike in Covid levels in wastewater in the past week here in Boston. Test and hospital data will be released later today (only released weekly now). I don't trust the test data because nobody I know gets PCR tests (too expensive) so we'll have to wait for the hospitalizations to rise to get confirmation of the wastewater - probably another week.
Thank goodness for the wastewater data - it's been a near perfect predictor of waves so far.
https://www.mwra.com/biobot/biobotdata.htm

Thérèse Coffey scraps promised paper on health inequality

Thérèse Coffey is ditching the government’s long-promised white paper on health inequalities, despite the 19-year gap in life expectancy between rich and poor, the Guardian has been told.

The health secretary has decided to not publish a document that was due to set out plans to address the stark inequalities in health that the Covid-19 pandemic exposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ey-scraps-promised-paper-on-health-inequality

Thérèse Coffey is ditching the government’s long-promised white paper on health inequalities, despite the 19-year gap in life expectancy between rich and poor, the Guardian has been told.

The health secretary has decided to not publish a document that was due to set out plans to address the stark inequalities in health that the Covid-19 pandemic exposed.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ey-scraps-promised-paper-on-health-inequality

<Expression of deep surprise> Not.

Somebody should FOI them for a copy.

"More than 40,000 have walked away from the NHS in the past year - one in nine of the workforce, an analysis by the Nuffield Trust think tank for the BBC revealed."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63080462

Some nurses are so hard up that they are having to not eat at work in order to feed and clothe their children, research among hospital bosses has found.

Lack of money is also prompting some NHS staff to call in sick in the days before they get paid because they can no longer afford the travel costs for their shift. Others are taking a second job outside the NHS in an effort to make ends meet.

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-in-order-to-feed-their-children-survey-finds

advertisement

Back