advertisement

Fascism is back

A great example of how the media normalises the far-right.

I'll counter that and saying that is a statement about her as an individual and not her policies / role. However, to conflate the two in the article is bad journalism, as we saw with he UK media treatment of Corbyn.

The Mussolini reboot sucks. And I see that the wokists couldn't leave well enough alone, insisting that a woman play the role.

Joe

Nevertheless the article remains an attempt to normalise fascism by emphasising her personal qualities and presenting her as a brave outsider who displays “fervent patriotism” and who defied left-wing orthodoxy, whilst completely downplaying her fascist politics. Probably helps that she is a photogenic young woman to boot.

I couldn't give a hoot how sweet and irreverent she may be, or what her personal background was. She is a fascist who unashamedly stands in the tradition of Mussolini. I’ve long decried the appellation of ‘fascist’ to any and every authoritarian right winger who comes along, as it can obscure and confuse the emergence of the real deal- which Meloni most certainly is. We now have an avowed fascist who has captured a major European democracy (however flawed). This will resonate throughout the world, strengthening Le Pen in France, Trump in the U.S., Orban in Hungary, the Sweden Democrats and others. Extremely serious and very concerning.

Dale Carnegie mentioned in "How to influence people and win friends" that in 6 months you can turn the public opinion totally in the opposite way. Cannot remember whom but who mentioned that who controls the media controls the population.

That latter rule no longer applies due to the internet, in spite of all the other negative and nasties that it has brought forwards.

Similarly rules that worked in the economy pre internet and global economy no longer apply either, unfortunately the economists and advisors to the government still live in the pre-internet and global era.

We should not forget Mao Zhe Dung, Pol Pot, Napoleon amongst others who were not the brightest and decided the educated were the evil ones so the latter group needed their heads chopped off. I worked in France for a while and found it difficult to relate some analytical concepts, same happened in Indonesia where Soekarno and Soeharto fed their opponents an different thinking educated people to the crocodiles in the pond behind the palace.

The lowest population, who did not invest in eduction (either incapable or unwilling) and only interested in a beer after hours and are couch potatoes watching some tele, are easily manipulated. And once those masses start moving then it quickly becomes a mess.

History teaches that mankind does not learn from history. And with large social changes there will be a large group that is staying behind or suddenly finds their profession is no longer relevant. They'll want to go back to "them good olde days". History also teaches that change is inevitable and societies that do not change eventually go under.

Eventually the stresses between progress or status quo will reach a breaking point.

As a Chinese curse says: "May you live in interesting times", hmmm... times have indeed becoming interesting.

Steve Bannon has said that as long as your candidate has a reasonable “face”, you can easily elect right-wing extremists.

Guess whose grubby little hands was all over the Italian election…

https://www.newsweek.com/georgia-meloni-italy-elections-steve-bannon-revolution-1746006

Meloni definitely had/has "a face," and communicates energy and competence. Three qualities that were/are sadly lacking in her main opponent, the Democratic Party. Also interesting to consider that while a part of Meloni's support descends from the neo-fascist area, the Democratic Party descends from the Italian Communist Party. It may be that the latter's self-complacency and passivity during the election campaign is a leftover of the neo-communist's attitude that they are divinely destined to rule, so need make no effort.
Italy's politics has always descended from Communism, Fascism or the Catholic Church. There is only a very weak tradition of secular liberalism or social democracy.
So while Meloni's relations with both the young "tattooed" right wing and the older "respectable" far right are "Disturbing," as Jeeves would say, one can only hope that her common sense will prevail.

And M5S is...?

It is, IMO, all sorts of things mixed in a blender and masterminded by comedian Beppe Grillo, whom I find distinctly sinister. But it is a new populist phenomenon, a container for the disaffected, the anti-politics voters. In short, I don't really know.

Meloni definitely had/has "a face," and communicates energy and competence. Three qualities that were/are sadly lacking in her main opponent, the Democratic Party. Also interesting to consider that while a part of Meloni's support descends from the neo-fascist area, the Democratic Party descends from the Italian Communist Party. It may be that the latter's self-complacency and passivity during the election campaign is a leftover of the neo-communist's attitude that they are divinely destined to rule, so need make no effort.
Italy's politics has always descended from Communism, Fascism or the Catholic Church. There is only a very weak tradition of secular liberalism or social democracy.
So while Meloni's relations with both the young "tattooed" right wing and the older "respectable" far right are "Disturbing," as Jeeves would say, one can only hope that her common sense will prevail.
A risible and absurd attempt at equivalence.

What the fascists around here are saying as the mid-term elections near:
FeT3OpJXkAAzvv9

I grew up in the Netherlands - the northern part is protestant, the southern is catholic. I worked in the Phillipines, devout catholic, same as Middle and South America. I cannot help it but whenever the catholic church encountered a different thinker then they got put on the rack or quartered. The end result was a lot of catholics are not able to think for themselves and eventually you see that the catholic parts of the world turning appear to be the poorest lot.

Much the same is happening in certain factions of the Muslim world - unable to think for themselves and jealous of those who have got something more than them through sheer hard work. And with video calling the great difference between the have's and have nots has become very noticeable.

advertisement

Back