advertisement

Met police to hand in weapons and stop killing black Britons

I'm unsure of what these symbolic gestures are that she's talking about. Does she mean policing gay pride events. Seems to me the most symbolic gesture the police partake in is giving you a crime number when you file an incident report, cos they sure as shit don't follow up on them.

It’s quite striking that, given the number of cabinet ministers from an immigrant background, they are amongst the most authoritarian right-wing shits. There’s no doubt that Patel, Braverman, Kwarteng et al will have experienced their fair share of racism. Just confirms that there is no automatic process of personal experience leading to a more enlightened attitude.

It’s quite striking that, given the number of cabinet ministers from an immigrant background, they are amongst the most authoritarian right-wing shits. There’s no doubt that Patel, Braverman, Kwarteng et al will have experienced their fair share of racism. Just confirms that there is no automatic process of personal experience leading to a more enlightened attitude.

Kapos! You get collaborators everywhere

Displacement. If you are angry at oppression, and express that, you attract punishment. But if you are angry about oppression, and turn it against your own class, there can be excellent rewards. Further, it goes a long way to deny the feeling that you might be a n*gger.

Yeah maybe an element of that. Also just that whole Tory philosophy that puts everything down to personal effort and ambition- “If I can overcome those hurdles, then so can you,” taking no account of individual circumstance and outlook. For many people, adversity can foster solidarity. For them it’s just ‘pull up the ladder and screw you pal.’

Yeah maybe an element of that. Also just that whole Tory philosophy that puts everything down to personal effort and ambition- “If I can overcome those hurdles, then so can you,” taking no account of individual circumstance and outlook. For many people, adversity can foster solidarity. For them it’s just ‘pull up the ladder and screw you pal.’

It's akin to offering up all your pocket money to the school bully and then fagging for them into the bargain.

It’s quite striking that, given the number of cabinet ministers from an immigrant background, they are amongst the most authoritarian right-wing shits

totally unsurprising IME - suppression of the disempowered and those in poverty is very common in places where those ministers heritage eminates from.

Unfortunately, there is a perception that the police have had to spend too much time on symbolic gestures than actually fighting criminals,” she wrote in the letter, published on Saturday.

Depends which media outlet, social media site or forum you read….

Depends which media outlet, social media site or forum you read….
Yes, I'm sure. The company I'm currently with is currently doing the diversity and inclusion bit. Funny how D&I managers are always female, lesbian and white, but there you go. Never straight black men. Still, it's all about diversity. Either way, 2 of our lavatories that were labelled for men and women respect ively became unisex OK. If you like. Then it turns out that, no, they are to be labelled "all gender" . Fine, if you like. I can still use them. Now I might suggest that this was taking us from our core activity of making food, but the truth is that it didn't. One of our managers who isn't exactly run off his feet sorted it. I suspect that police activities to deal with D&I are similar.

... Still, it's all about diversity. Either way, 2 of our lavatories that were labelled for men and women respect ively became unisex OK. If you like. Then it turns out that, no, they are to be labelled "all gender" . Fine, if you like. I can still use them...

Sure you can, but not so easy for the woman who has to sit on the seat that you've just pissed all over.

An aside, but it doesn't take a pub landlord of many years to tell you that men can be lazy, dirty buggers when they use the lavatory. Uni-whatever loos in the workplace are an appalling, insulting and stupid idea.

An aside, but it doesn't take a pub landlord of many years to tell you that men can be lazy, dirty buggers when they use the lavatory. Uni-whatever loos in the workplace are an appalling, insulting and stupid idea.

Depends on the quality of the pub. Some of the more interesting nightclubs of the ‘90s and onwards have had unisex toilets. Admittedly more the dance/techno scene, so not full of piss-heads (more E and cocaine!). I certainly see no issue with it in work or academic environments where folk are at least hoped not to be blind drunk.

I think the main advantage of unisex toilets is that it removes any questions as to which trans people are expected to use.

Sure you can, but not so easy for the woman who has to sit on the seat that you've just pissed all over.

Ask my wife - she regularly uses the cubicle in the gents as they are invariably cleaner than the womens

I don't piss on the seat, thank you. I lift it up. If there's anything on the side of the porcelain I get a bit of toilet paper and wipe it off, just like I do at home. Maybe you don't, I wouldn't know, nor do I much care.

Tracey the cleaner at our place reckons the women are just as bad, I wouldn't know.

Oh, and it's not "uni -whatever" , it's "all gender" . Do you need to go on one of our D&I awareness meetings? I went along with 2 gay blokes out of our department, one's more straight acting than Bruce Willis, the other's as camp as Christmas. It was good fun.

I think the main advantage of unisex toilets is that it removes any questions as to which trans people are expected to use.

They introduced the concept when they built a place where I used to work. Corridors of individual, unisex, cubicles. Worked fine until some female employees complained that the toilets got dirty and smelly pretty quickly after male employees used them, so a number were designated for use by female employees. Then the union rep got involved because that resulted in fewer toilets for male employees than female employees (females could use any, males were restricted in choice). I'd left before it all got resolved.

As ever, there's never a prefect solution as soon as people get involved. :)

Brief article on p.40 of the current Private Eye detailing the extent of corruption in the Met and how completely toothless the IOPC is.

advertisement

Back