advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

From the Sunday Times https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1573775346213834753

FdcsVfXXwAMvuGb

One of the comments made by Cummings (and others) about Truss was that she came to conclusions and convictions without thinking all the details through. Based on this budget I can see why they thought that.

Johnson was able to change those convictions when he smelled the wind changing - it's how he survived as long as he did. Truss is much more dogmatic.

I don't think Truss was complicit in this - that would require forward planning, which is not a skill that any of the current UK government have. But if I were a currency trader, and I met Truss and got any inkling that she really was going to proceed with her already-stated policies, I would also be placing as many short trades as I could on the Pound.

But then again, were any of them long on the Pound before then? Since the moment Truss got into the runoff against Sunak there was only one way the economy was heading.

Presumably, if the government was suspected of market manipulation like this, traders would just stop accepting trades against short positions, or just trash the pound out of lack of confidence in its reliability/predictability. So this conspiracy only works if only the select few learn about it, and the market’s suspicions aren’t aroused?

While Truss *may* have not been complicit in the meeting, I can't imagine Mogg and co made zero from the damage done to the £Sterling on Friday.
This remains to be proven, but I would prefer 'shorting' to be made illegal somehow.
Odd how Mogg makes money like this, yet claims to be so, so patriotic.
Utterly disgusting way to make money.

Last edited:
I think he was wealthy enough as it was, but he sure made an absolute killing that day, and told everyone before it occured what he was going to do.

P
The awareness that its a BIG gamble on a horse that has fallen at the first fence in every previous outing. A horse that needed humane action long ago.

Totally agree. Fundamentally it’s the Brexit gamble IMO. They are grasping the Brexit nettle.

(Just imagine how divided the cabinet room must have been when Boris and Rishi were there.)

The Tories always remind me of the old Tommy Cooper gag where he borrows a watch from an audience member, puts the watch under a hankie, then smashes it to pieces with a hammer. He then hands the smashed watch back to the audience member, saying “Sorry, I’ve forgotten how to do the next bit”.

One of the comments made by Cummings (and others) about Truss was that she came to conclusions and convictions without thinking all the details through. Based on this budget I can see why they thought that.

Your "all" seems superfluous. More like "none of the details or consequences". Just on dogma!

A source who was present at a dinner attended by hedge-fund managers a week ago revealed: "They were all supporters of Truss and every one of them was shorting the pound. Several made small fortunes on Friday betting against the currency.

From tomorrow’s Sunday Times (Twitter).

No one should mistake what is happening right now in the UK for political ideology. It is criminality, corruption, insider dealing and grift. This is exactly what an oligarch kleptocracy looks like. We are Russia. We are Zimbabwe.

Isn't this actual treason? Actively working against the public interest of the country you (supposedly) work for?

Next they'll claim "she doesn't do detail". This could be the first PM for that.

Hold on......

advertisement

Back