advertisement

Is it time to move to Win 11 or stay on Win 10?

You can install 11 on any pc. I had it going on an i5 5th gen just do a Google search
Yep. Been running it on three PCs and a laptop since it came out. None of these machines passed the requirements. As I recall I had to delete a file from the install media but it’s even easier now - download the ISO from Microsoft and write to a USB stick using Rufus, which removes the secure boot and TPM checks. Do an in place upgrade and Bob’s your auntie.

Mick

If you have a Ryzen processor you will need to enable the TPM (trusted platform module implemented in software rather than a chip) in the BIOS or the updater will say the machine is incompatible. I can't remember how Intel boards handle this by default. There were problems with this initially (and in Win 10) that caused stuttering apparently. I've been using 11 on my 3 machines since it came out.

Unless you have a new PC with a 12th Generation or later Intel CPU, there's no real reason to change. Windows 11 has changes to the kernel that allow the OS to make better use of certain features of these chips*, but on older hardware it makes no difference.

(* unlike earlier Intel CPUs, the 12th and later generations have two distinct types of processor core on board, and thus, to best assign tasks to each CPU core, the OS needs to know about this; Windows 10 does not, Windows 11 does. AMD were supposed to be adopting a similar design, but it looks like it'll be another couple more years before it happens now.)

Windows 10 has updates for another three years, and then security support for a while longer. There's no hurry.

I do use 11, but I have a new Intel CPU in my main desktop, so it's worth it. I also coerced an older Surface Go (on which I'm typing this) to upgrade to 11 for the sake of having a conistent UI across the two computers I use. 11 looks a little prettier (it hasn't got that very austere angular look of Win10), and a more consistent UI (changing settings doesn't drop you down to the old Windows 7-style UI as often anymore) but there's not much different, really.

I didn’t notice mine had upgraded (work pushed it out auto) someone pointed it out to me in a teams call, jealous that I had the new os and they didn’t

so easy to recommend from me
D

advertisement

Back