advertisement

Tony, please remove the ‘like button’.

I think it’s useful as you can check out a user’s likes to posts ratio on their profile and if it’s quite high you know it’s probably worth reading their comments and posts, if not then less so.
But it can also just mean that they are part of an opinionated group sharing the same view who more-or-less automatically like each others posts, especially prevalent in the political threads. I guess this is the clique factor the OP was referring to - I find it annoying too, very much a gang mentality.

Even pfm probably benefits from having this button as posters look to see how many likes their posts get and subconsciously get pleasure from community approval.

It is another ‘member CV’ thing that may help folk with the classified area too. We currently have an issue with scammers registering and making offers out of view via PM. I encourage everyone to reject deals with zero post newbies, the >50 post >3 month membership criteria is there for safety, but a good few ‘likes’ in addition is no bad thing. It shows a member is an active part of the community. I didn’t like the feature at all at the start when we migrated, but at this point if it was an option I’d turn it on. I genuinely think it is useful.

Not intended as a criticism, Tony. Just an observation about human nature. Only about a 1/3 of the way through but the book is a bit of an eye opener in terms of how easily social media ‘hacks’ our brains. From the book:

“In fact, the incentive is so powerful that it even shows up on brain scans. When we receive a Like, neural activity flares in a part of the brain called the nucleus accumbens: the region that activates dopamine. Subjects with smaller nucleus accumbens—a trait associated with addictive tendencies—use Facebook for longer stretches. And when heavy Facebook users get a Like, that gray matter displays more activity than in lighter users, as in gambling addicts who’ve been conditioned to exalt in every pull of the lever.”

Not intended as a criticism, Tony. Just an observation about human nature.

Absolutely, it’s certainly not a 100% gain, and it can be used and abused like any other feature. On balance I’ve come to prefer it being there than not.

But it can also just mean that they are part of an opinionated group sharing the same view who more-or-less automatically like each others posts, especially prevalent in the political threads. I guess this is the clique factor the OP was referring to - I find it annoying too, very much a gang mentality.
Cliques and a gang mentality is certain an unpleasant feature of pfm, but really don’t think there is an association with the use of ‘likes’ more generally.

If anyone dislikes likes, don’t use them, and if anyone associates posts with likes with cliques, don’t read posts with any likes under them.

It can indeed mean just that, but when it does, it’s fairly transparent to all but newbies, and not difficult to disregard, IME. And cliques will just use other means: ‘+1’ posts and similar, so at least the like function declutters threads in that regard.

I know you’re not a fan, and I often have a twinge of misgiving when I ‘like’ one of your posts but you post likeable posts so it’s your own fault, really.

You've been pretty persuasive yourself on occasion.
Les Darons excepted.I've still got some Megaphone.

It can indeed mean just that, but when it does, it’s fairly transparent to all but newbies, and not difficult to disregard, IME. And cliques will just use other means: ‘+1’ posts and similar, so at least the like function declutters threads in that regard.
Fair point. I’m not suggesting it is done with any dark intent, I just find it boringly predictable on threads where everyone knows everyone else’s views by the end of page 2. I think my main problem with the ‘like’ button is that it covers everything from ‘that amused me’, ‘that is useful information’ and ‘I really liked your photo’ (good things) to ‘I really can’t be arsed to express my own opinion, but I don’t like the person you are disagreeing with either so I’m simply going to piggy-back on your post’ (bad thing.)

The like button in Jonathan Ribee form and moderation style on a Brexit thread in Swamp Thing persona

It was awkward as Jonathan was an offline friend to myself and Lordsummit. I haven’t seen him since before covid, hope he is ok. He certainly took offence at some moderation that I felt was essential. He made a post, very much in fun (again, I know him so I understood the deadpan inflection) about doing some real terrorist-grade violence to the powers of Brexit. He knew it was a joke, I knew it was a joke, but I just can not host content like that. Publishing incitement to violence or whatever comes with real legal risks. This is not a free country regardless what some would say, and legal defence is for the very wealthy only. If you aren’t Ian Hislop just forget it. I just couldn’t leave it there as it wasn’t long after someone had actually been arrested for proposing a riot location on Twitter or Facebook in fun after some unrest in Manchester. I didn’t want a bunch of riot police goons crashing through my door for what was a joke! Also there is a moderation precedent, e.g. if I allow a death threat from a friend who I know is joking then what do I do when similar appears from someone I haven’t a clue about?

Moderation is exponentially harder than anyone who hasn’t done it would realise. It is impossible to get right. I say that as someone with 20+ years experience.

advertisement

Back