advertisement

A new belt for the Linn LP12

adjusted speed with the lp12 screws and a linn strobe, counted 100 revolutions with a target of 3 mins, chuffed with the outcome

Off topic - but what a wonderfully simple way to test the speed without a strobe. What didn't I think of that :)

I had issues with getting speed correct on my LP12 using the Lingo 1, the belt fouled the guide and I couldn't get it up to speed, no issue with the standard LP12 belt. Mike sent me a couple of other belts to try and I found the 167.5 but 1.2mm thicker belt to work. Could reach both 33 and 45 with adjustment and belt runs on crown of the motor pulley, it is very stable when running and quiet. It definitely sounds better that the standard LP12 belt, better instrument detail and separation, strange but true, I did back to back comparisons swapping between the Blue and standard belt and it was certainly better. The blue belt run about 3% slower than the LP12 belt so needed adjusting. For £25 I am very happy with it. Mike is a nice guy to deal with, honest and trustworthy with good customer support, it was good of him to give me a few options to try when the first one wasn't successful for me, I returned the ones back I didn't need and kept the 1.2mm belt, very happy with it. I know others have not had the issues I had, my motor is new ish and I don't overtighten the adjusting screws, I don't have a Radikal so it relies on the tilt of the motor. I suppose all LP12's have their slight differences, mine is a 1983 one which has had may upgrades so a bit of a Frankenstein one really, all Linn parts though, not alternative ones.

Just bought a belt.....not yet fitted but have discovered an APP
You will never guess what it's called........................TURNTABLE SPEED :D

Just bought a belt.....not yet fitted but have discovered an APP
You will never guess what it's called........................TURNTABLE SPEED

see page 1, 2, 3 etc of this thread…………it’s the App many of us have been using. There’s also another thread in the audio section, entitled “Today I am a small blue thing”, with more discussion & results.

I'm very happy with the Blue belt 167.5mm on my LP12 with Mobar DC speed runs about perfectly. It's a lot better than the stock Linn belt and the table comes to 33.1/3 & 45 faster than with the stock belt. Great Belt!

see page 1, 2, 3 etc of this thread…………it’s the App many of us have been using. There’s also another thread in the audio section, entitled “Today I am a small blue thing”, with more discussion & results.

I'm very happy with the Blue belt 167.5mm on my LP12 with Mobar DC speed runs about perfectly. It's a lot better than the stock Linn belt and the table comes to 33.1/3 & 45 faster than with the stock belt. Great Belt!

Yes me too. The result seemed to be far better than the old stock belt

I recently got around to trying my blue belt again. It in one of the interim size 165-5 types. I bought it months ago but i was reluctant to use it because i could not get the speed within even 1% on my LP12 hercules.
Last weekend i had another go and despite not being able to get the speed right it sounds very good. Wow and flutter are repeatedly better than my original belt and two Thakker beltS, one being brand new.
My question is how do i get hold of one of the 167-5.5 belts that are currently available?
I bought my belt direct from Dindiki in Germany but im not certain that they have the newer, larger belt.
Mike P, can you help?

I recently got around to trying my blue belt again. It in one of the interim size 165-5 types. I bought it months ago but i was reluctant to use it because i could not get the speed within even 1% on my LP12 hercules.
Last weekend i had another go and despite not being able to get the speed right it sounds very good. Wow and flutter are repeatedly better than my original belt and two Thakker beltS, one being brand new.
My question is how do i get hold of one of the 167-5.5 belts that are currently available?
I bought my belt direct from Dindiki in Germany but im not certain that they have the newer, larger belt.
Mike P, can you help?
Just send me a PM. You need the new 1.0mm thickness belt. Your first generation belt was 0.8mm thickness.

I only just now saw this very interesting thread. Does anybody know the dimensions of the Dindiki belt - they seem to have just the one belt for the "Linn LP12"? In this thread various dimensions are discussed and tested.
Am I right in assuming that the 167.5mm x 1mm is the one to have?
My LP12 is mid 1980's with Valhalla.
Any advice is much appreciated!
Pete

Last edited:
Hi chaps,

do forgive me but: as a fastidious Lp12 owner I have read this thread. But for goodness sake, how on earth can a different colured belt -assuming it spins the platter @ 33rpm as my old black one tends to- possibly produce any differing audio output whatsoever from the speakers-?

This is like reading even more snake-oiliness.. than the myriad of 'wot speaker cable?' threads.. surely.

Unless I'm missing something. More -detail- in a blue coloured belt-?? Are you all absolutely insane-??

Enlighten me if you will on how a blue belt, could possibly provide any sonic improvements, over whatever black belt I have now. Please do.

Thank you, Capt

Hi chaps,

do forgive me but: as a fastidious Lp12 owner I have read this thread. But for goodness sake, how on earth can a different colured belt -assuming it spins the platter @ 33rpm as my old black one tends to- possibly produce any differing audio output whatsoever from the speakers-?

This is like reading even more snake-oiliness.. than the myriad of 'wot speaker cable?' threads.. surely.

Unless I'm missing something. More -detail- in a blue coloured belt-?? Are you all absolutely insane-??

Enlighten me if you will on how a blue belt, could possibly provide any sonic improvements, over whatever black belt I have now. Please do.

Thank you, Capt
Like all these threads, it’s subjective and down to the listener, his set up, the room, his gear etc. for me it definitely was an improvement and for the cost a no brainer. Cheaper than a takeaway meal for two and so worth the punt. I did do fit it then go back and try with the Linn belt and then back again and all times it showed an improvement in SQ for me anyway. So using my ears I am happy for the small outlay. It’s your money in the end and how you spend it is totally up to you and if it doesn’t work out then you haven’t lost much.
Certainly cheaper than many upgrades

I only just now saw this very interesting thread. Does anybody know the dimensions of the Dindiki belt - they seem to have just the one belt for the "Linn LP12"? In this thread various dimensions are discussed and tested.
Am I right in assuming that the 167.5mm x 1mm is the one to have?
My LP12 is mid 1980's with Valhalla.
Any advice is much appreciated!
Pete
Yes 167.5 x 4 x 1.0mm is the default.

Hi chaps,

Thank you, Capt
The colour is of course irrelevant. What you've missed is that the material, construction and resultant mechanical characteristics are different to the Linn belt. The resonant frequency and ability to decouple motor noise are measureably different and many users have found that they can hear this.

The colour is of course irrelevant. What you've missed is that the material, construction and resultant mechanical characteristics are different to the Linn belt. The resonant frequency and ability to decouple motor noise are measureably different and many users have found that they can hear this.

Hi Mike,

I was obviously being deliberately obtuse about the colour, but, my point was how on earth can two different belts made from rubber & spinning it at the same speed, possibly produce any discernible sonic difference whatsoever? It just doesn't seem rationally possible. Tiny increments in belt mm width.. I mean has everyone taken leave of their senses-?

A slightly different resonant frequency is detected one belt to the other is said. How is this even possible, & why would a slight difference be anything other than a slight difference in sonic characteristics (IE not necessarily better results but just fractionally different) that is even possibly audibly detected anyway, by anything other than a bat?

And lastly, if my belt isn't producing any motor noise into the mix -I'e not once in 25 years had I said to myself "I hear a mite of motor noise" (why because there isn't any, why not, because it's a highly engineered Lp12 which shouldn't hae any & indeed doesn't have any) why would I want to change the belt?

I'm more bemused by this thread than I am about anything in hifi in 35 yrs.

Like all these threads, it’s subjective and down to the listener, his set up, the room, his gear etc. for me it definitely was an improvement and for the cost a no brainer. Cheaper than a takeaway meal for two and so worth the punt. I did do fit it then go back and try with the Linn belt and then back again and all times it showed an improvement in SQ for me anyway. So using my ears I am happy for the small outlay. It’s your money in the end and how you spend it is totally up to you and if it doesn’t work out then you haven’t lost much.
Certainly cheaper than many upgrades

The human brain is incredibly easily persuaded Stew B. There is no way you have heard any difference, is my opinion, you just think you have. It makes no engineering sense for you to have, between two belts of near identical dimensions & material spinning a heavy platter around at the same speed. It's just not feasible.

It makes no engineering sense for you to have, between two belts of near identical dimensions & material spinning a heavy platter around at the same speed. It's just not feasible.

That's just it. The blue belt is physically very different to the Linn belt. Nobody is saying that two physically identical belts of different colours sound different. What they're saying is that a belt of very different material and physical/mechanical characteristics sounds a little different.

advertisement

Back