advertisement

Tony, please remove the ‘like button’.

I think it’s useful as you can check out a user’s likes to posts ratio on their profile and if it’s quite high you know it’s probably worth reading their comments and posts, if not then less so.

If I'm catching up on a thread that I've missed, but can't be bothered to read every post, I scroll through and only read the posts with the most likes. That way, I feel I'm reading all the most interesting posts.

I think it’s useful as you can check out a user’s likes to posts ratio on their profile and if it’s quite high you know it’s probably worth reading their comments and posts, if not then less so.
Not being defensive or anything but I think I’d made over 8000 posts before the like button existed. Same would apply to all early members.

Yes, I’ve only ignored one person, fairly randomly as an experiment. The notifications that the person I’d ignored had posted was more annoying than their posts. Or did you mean literally?

Not being defensive or anything but I think I’d made over 8000 posts before the like button existed. Same would apply to all early members.

Perhaps Tony could set up an algorithm such as x ÷y-(a-b) where x= number of posts, y=number of likes, a= number of years the poster has been a member and b= number of years the like button has been in existence. This algorithm probably needs a bit of tweaking so I suggest Tony holds off applying it until some PFM nerd comes up with something more sophisticated.

(Please hit the like button to signal your approval and to boost my PQ* once it is all set up).

*Popularity Quotient

Your likes to messages ratio is currently 1.12, mine is 0.69, you’re better than me :)

I like the like button and use it alot.

Ignore is very useful. I keep refining my ignores, typically someone who is continuously horrible, and others who are irritating for a short period.

I do miss Jonathan Ribee’s contributions and I thought his reason for leaving was strange at the time. I’d never used a forum with a ‘like’ button (not on Facebook or Twitter) so was not sensitive to the potential problems.

By and large, I think the usefulness outweighs the downsides - the OP makes some very valid points but other posts highlight the various ways I use it too, and I do find it helpful to me.

Tony, if it can’t be removed, can it be renamed, or configured differently, or is it just what it is?

Does the new version of XenForo offer more flexibility on this feature - I know you will need to upgrade sooner or later?

I like what I like, and simply don't respond to a post if I don't want to, or think its not worth it.

I reckon I've physically met about 5 people of this forum, so I also ensure my cordiality is maintained to those I've not met - giving them the benefit of the doubt so to speak...:)

I'm not going to rip someone a new one just based on what they have posted on PFM, although I do sometimes wonder if they would physically say what they've written in person... :eek:

Tony, if it can’t be removed, can it be renamed, or configured differently, or is it just what it is?

Does the new version of XenForo offer more flexibility on this feature - I know you will need to upgrade sooner or later?

To be honest I’m used to it now and actually feel it is very useful in removing noise. If you think back to vBulletin there were just so many threads full of part or even fully quoted posts with ‘I agree’ as the only comment. The ‘like’ function keeps that to a minimum and as a result keeps threads far tidier and more readable.

I’ve not deep-dived XenForo 2.x yet, which I really should do. I have a feeling there will be a lot there I’ll want to turn off, but whether I can or not I don’t know. To be honest I’m absolutely dreading it. It will be weeks of time, effort and frustration for no reward. I don’t want to change anything, I’m just being forced into it as this version is old and increasingly less secure. As such I’m just kicking the can down the road as far as I can. Steve Hoffman is still running the same XenForo version as pfm, I’ll likely let them go first!

Reading The Chaos Machine at the moment. Interesting insights into how Facebook and others use things like ‘like’ buttons to drive up engagement & time on their platform.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/031670332X/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
Even pfm probably benefits from having this button as posters look to see how many likes their posts get and subconsciously get pleasure from community approval.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Removing the ‘like’ button will not remove problems. ISTM that it is the content of posts that some people want to remove.

advertisement

Back