advertisement

Christmas Wine II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Natalie who?

I like the label, clear, simple and graceful, similar font to Aubert de Villaine's Bouzeron wines.

Bought a bottle of Muriel Rioja 2019 from the coop last night £6, brilliant value for money and a decent wine, think it’s discounted by £2.

Exactly right, very drinkable wine and pleasant as soon as you open the bottle. A bit too weighty for me to be a favourite but that's just a matter of taste.

A vinous week by my standards. Nothing remarkable Mon - Weds, client lunches in Germany with a glass or or more of house red. Got back to London in time for a dinner “with selected wines from Latin America” at a PMC. Wine dealer brought the wines: Argentinian sparkling, Uruguayan white, a Chilean Carmenere, an Argentinean Malbec, and an Argentinean red sticky. Nothing fundamentally wrong with the wines, though I didn’t find them to be amazing, and I dispute the claim that the Malbec was “one of the top Malbecs you can buy”. But the person presenting the wines was unable to pronounce any of the names properly, was not particularly knowledgeable about the vineyards or winemakers being presented, and generally fluffed through the introductions to the wines, deeming them to be “moreish, drinkable, very enjoyable” and other such generalities. I have to say I expected more, and won’t be making a beeline to the dealer.
Made up for it last night with a rather tasty Malbec from the cellar at home.

4-D7-A7670-4-B58-4-E18-A808-68-B039-D674-B2.jpg

Last edited:
Had a very enjoyable Jaboulet 2016 Cornas from Majestic (sorry) last night with friends. I have two others, from a different producer but also 2016, in the cellar and they’re better, absolutely lovely, but the Jaboulet was a fair bit cheaper, easier to source and still very good, so I’ll certainly buy it again.

When you look at CT points most are in the range 90/91/92.
Vivino mostly 3.8 to 4.2.
If you look at professional scores they are usually in a similar narrow range.
Yet we all know there is just the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Well ok there is also the OMG.

Last edited:
Meerlust Rubicon on the sub-£25 is also rather nice (or at least other vintages are, I have a case of the ‘17 but haven’t tried it yet).
!

Not so impressed by the 17 -- a bit too much oak for me, and the rest of the complex of flavours doesn't seem specially distinguished. There's a bit left over, maybe it'll be different tomorrow.

Sainsbury's 25% off 6 from 20 August. And already £2 off the very drinkable Medoc I like so:

Capture.jpg

At that price, if the wine loses its appeal, I can use it in the daube.

Rubicon '17 could easily be better in a year or two. I'm in no hurry to drink the couple of '15s I have.

Yes that's very possible. I had the last glass today and it was better than yesterday, and yesterday was better than Wednesday. But still, I don't think it's a wine for me, and I think it's probably overpriced anyway.

When you look at CT points most are in the range 90/91/92.
Vivino mostly 3.8 to 4.2.
If you look at professional scores they are usually in a similar narrow range.
Yet we all know there is just the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.
Well ok there is also the OMG.

Not to forget the all-important 'Bof!'

Might try this add to Xmas list
Codorniu rosé ars collection and the Codorniu Raventos.
"A dull mind,once arriving at an inference that flatters a desire"........etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back