advertisement

Ukraine V

Interesting section towards the end of the collapse of Russian influence in Armenia and the Stans.

@Mike Reed. They could always have another referendum, properly supervised/observed once the war is over. Crimea particularly has had strong ties with Russia. Though Russia might have actually won the first there. It’s process didn’t satisfy international standards.

I wonder if Putin has had all the ashtrays removed from the Kremlin. Purely as a health precaution. Maybe he may now also feel the need to remove all the staircases as well because these seem in Russia to be unsafely designed...

Kazakhstan media reporting queues of cars stretching several kms at the border.

Russian airports appear rammed with folk trying to get the hell out before conscription too. I’ve seen a few pics of the chaos on Twitter but can’t remember where to link. Someone needs to ‘off’ Putin. It is beyond time. The stupidity needs reversing. There is clearly little appetite left for his imperialism with those who would be flung into the firing line to die for it.

If Putin is to be 'offed' it has to be done by Russians and obviously so. If there was any doubt that it came from the West no Western leader would be safe. Russian killing squads are probably already in situ as sleepers if needed and although the removal of our current 'great' leader would be no loss at all taking them out en mass would be very destabilising.

There has been no referenda in Donbass before.

The upcoming referenda are all "electronic" and will occur in a few days.

Russian language observers think that Putin was given a strong " advice " to step down by his entourage on Monday and he refused and lashed out.
I thought there were referenda held in 2010 (?) for some kind of autonomy from Kiev, but that Kiev then ignored the result. Or am I remembering wrongly?

The upcoming referenda are all "electronic" and will occur in a few days.

Russian language observers think that Putin was given a strong " advice " to step down by his entourage on Monday and he refused and lashed out.
Perhaps someone will physically persuade him to step down several flights suddenly.

I'm led to believe Russian employers were being required to compile lists of 27 - 35yo males months ago.

I wonder if Putin has had all the ashtrays removed from the Kremlin. Purely as a health precaution. Maybe he may now also feel the need to remove all the staircases as well because these seem in Russia to be unsafely designed...

He might want to board the windows up too.

I thought not. Were the 'separatists' (i.e. those who wanted the Donbas (DonbasS?) affiliated to Russia) in the minority or did they indeed represent the majority of their specific area? I know Russia backed their move politically and militarily but was there a case for assimilation within Russia or was Ukraine simply fighting against losing territory? THIS is the bit I don't understand or ever recall reading.

And avoid those who visit Moscow to look at the church spires...
You’ve just described a potentially frightening scenario. Putin gets bumped off by a right wing rival who pins it on spies from Britain, with fake passports, hotel bookings and airline tickets presented on Russian state TV the same evening (thanks to the Sterling work of the Motherland’s security services).

Really not sure of Putin's strategy here is. Seems like the issue Russia has is a lack of equipment as well as a possible lack of motivation of the current full time army. Adding tens of thousands of non or partially trained men who will likely be even less motivated seems a backwards step. It is unfortunate for these new press ganged recruits that their brethren are so brain washed that they all go along with the plan with little protest.

Does Russia even have the gear to properly equip 300k conscripts?
It didn't stop them in Stalingrad. They have previous in this regard. Pair up the men, one gets a loaded gun and the other 2 bullets. Off you go, and if you turn back this man here will shoot you. And he will, because he knows that it be refuses he's the next to get 2 bullets and a pointed finger.

Russia has always had 2 great weapons - great open spaces in which to exhaust enemy supply lines and millions of men. This time they don't have the first, but they're only just starting with the second.

advertisement

Back