advertisement

Close to the Edge is 50

I am only 4 years older than Close to the Edge, but it is one of my favourite albums.

The beginning of the first track is magnificent.. the dawn chorus that swells into an incredible instrumental section, the rhythms and structure puts me in mind of main section of 1st movement of Brahms 1st symphony.
That was Bill’s bit, IIRC.

In the current Yes prog magazine special, there is an article called, "All That Jazz" funnily enough. Anyway, it's regarding Rick leaving, leading up to Patrick Moraz joining. The rehearsals with Vangelis had failed and Steve Howe rang Emerson to enquire as to whether he would be interested. Keith apparently said, "Why do I need to join Yes when I've got ELP?" There's an observation that if he had have joined it would have changed the trajectory of progressive rock.

...The Nice might have played Rondo in 4/4, but Keith spent a lifetime lifting jazz quotes, playing odd time signatures...
Yes, including my first exposure to Bill Evans (on Pictures at an Exhibition), although I didn’t realise it until years later.

The thing that is so annoying is he seems such a nice bloke! Very funny, self-deprecating, really down to earth. There are so many rock stars that appear to be pompous arses and Wakeman really isn’t one of them.
Nice piano on Life on Mars...

Indeed, that is a great album, as is Cyborg, Blackdance etc. Love the stuff he did late on with Pete Namlook too. Horrifying to think they are both dead now.

Indeed, that is a great album, as is Cyborg, Blackdance etc. Love the stuff he did late on with Pete Namlook too. Horrifying to think they are both dead now.

OT, I know but the closest KS ever got to 'prog' was his albums with Go. The first two are well worth seeking out.

advertisement

Back