advertisement

Annoying recreational propeller planes

That popped up on my feed, I sort of assumed it was an old story. I didn't even realise that there was a running/taxying Vulcan left. Or did I? I forget.
There’s one at Southend too, but at least it has a proper, long runway to play on.

Hardly seems worth it.

So the can get the howl. That's worth something!

I suppose it's beyond hope that any of these airframes would ever get an airworthiness certificate?

I suppose it's beyond hope that any of these airframes would ever get an airworthiness certificate?
Yes.
Since the tragedy at Shoreham, privately owned ex-military jets have struggled. A Vulcan is too complex and too expensive to run, and has no Design Authority such as BAeSystems.

XH558, the Vulcan that was flying til a few years ago, is on the ground at the doomed Doncaster airport, probably facing the scrapman.

That's tragic. I though she was going to form the centrepiece of an educational faculty of engineering excellence. What happened to that?

That's tragic. I though she was going to form the centrepiece of an educational faculty of engineering excellence. What happened to that?

It seems that the money was, erm, spent elsewhere. The VTTS ‘charity’ appears to have been run by some expensive individuals who used the Lottery money and public donations as, erm, they saw fit.

It won’t receive a one-off approval to fly. I doubt it’ll be dismantled and moved.

From what Elvington museum have said, I’m getting the idea that there’s some real hatred for the VTTS people. They’ve jeopardised future funding, maybe.

Still. All we can do is enjoy what we have today. I’ve heard very good reports from last weekend’s Duxford Battle of Britain air show after some lean years, so let’s hope we’ve a few more years of old warbirds doing their thing.

Good news from Wellesbourne today:

“After a very long and very hard day today, we are delighted to report that XM655 is back on her pan at Wellesbourne. There will be a more detailed report with pictures in due course, but for tonight we simply want to say a massive thanks to everyone who helped us yesterday and today, including Bob Jackson and VTTS for the loan of their rear towing bridle, Wixey Transport, especially Matt and Richard, who have moved massive amounts of soil around to make it possible, and all the heavy recovery guys from Tech Trucks, Mayo's Roadside Assistance, CCG Commercials Ltd and RPM Aviation. Without them, we couldn't possibly have done it.
We must also thank all the XM655MaPS volunteers who have worked tirelessly all day to get the old girl back onto solid ground. They have gone home tonight very tired, but they can be justifiably proud of what they have achieved.”

out walking in Tyseley today getting wet and spotted this beautiful Hawker Hunter

https://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/hunter/survivor.php?id=338&image_id=3083

Eventually rescued by a new owner and returned to the air in 2008 by Hunter Flying Ltd. at Exeter, she also gained a new paint scheme - Black Arrows colours - not awfully appropriate to her history, but marking the 50th anniversary of the famous 22-Hunter loop. She appeared at the 2008 Farnborough show to mark the anniversary and wore the short lived serial of 'XG164' before having it changed to 'XG194'.

After that, she moved on again, becoming part of the all too short-lived Team Viper display team and basing out of St. Athan. In 2013/14 she underwent major maintenance and was returned to her 764 NAS colours, in which she looks amazing. She appeared at the RNAS Yeovilton and Culdrose air days in July 2014, but doesn't appear to have flown much since then, and in common with other UK Hunters was grounded after the Shoreham crash.

Sadly, the ramifications of the Shoreham crash resulted in it being no longer financially viable to fly, and so she has now been de-registered as 'permanently withdrawn from use'. In September 2021 she was transported to Tyseley for display, pole-mounted, at the SCC premises. All major components have been removed, the interior is sprayed with anti-corrosive oils and the canopy is completely sealed, in the hopes that if times change sufficiently, she could remain viable for a return to flight.

HH 2 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

HH 1 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

I have neither the commitment or the inclination to get a pilots licence, but I do love popping up for a couple of hours in a Cessna every now and then from our local airfield.

The sound of shotguns is far more irritating, IMHO.

The FAPs* are out in their whinging-engined splendour here today. Can you gets SAMs on the dark web?

Local chat is that they're training up Saudi pilots to bomb the Yemenis. So that's alright then.

*FAPs = ****ing annoying planes.

ah .... I know it must be a pain , will swop you my m6 like road and parking and umpteen fireworks events for those beautiful jets :D ... i even choose a holiday on that basis !!! but i do get it must be a pitb sometimes

ah .... I know it must be a pain , will swop you my m6 like road and parking and umpteen fireworks events for those beautiful jets :D ... i even choose a holiday on that basis !!! but i do get it must be a pitb sometimes
They're not jets, they're prop planes, you can rarely see them so zero entertainment value. There is just the engine sound of usually two planes practicing diving, the sound like someone trying to mimic a two-year-old whinging for sweets at the checkout with a strimmer. Honestly, there is bugger all in the way of a positive here.

Aside from the training Saudis to bomb the Yemeni civilian population, the other local gossip is they have had a huge number of complaints, many asking why they don't practice such dangerous and annoying maneuvers over the sea, rather than over land where safety and the fraying patience of the local population are considerations?
Apparently the insurance would be more, and they're not prepared to stand the extra expense.

They're not jets, they're prop planes, you can rarely see them so zero entertainment value. There is just the engine sound of usually two planes practicing diving, **much emotion deleted**

Practicing diving? I very much doubt it. The only time aeroplanes are noisy (at full power) are for take-off, for about 30 seconds, then it'll be out of earshot. When they're landing, the prop is just above idle with full flaps. You don't aim at the ground at full chat.

Zero entertainment value for you I guess.
Pray, do tell - did the aeroplanes and airfield move there before or after you?
You have my 100% sympathy if they moved in after you.

Practicing diving? I very much doubt it. The only time aeroplanes are noisy (at full power) are for take-off, for about 30 seconds, then it'll be out of earshot. When they're landing, the prop is just above idle with full flaps. You don't aim at the ground at full chat.

Zero entertainment value for you I guess.
Pray, do tell - did the aeroplanes and airfield move there before or after you?
You have my 100% sympathy if they moved in after you.
Well you might very much doubt it, but you'd be wrong. That's what they're doing, diving and climbing.
https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/complaints-soar-over-noise-controversial-19767915

Raf Valley dates from before the second world war. The FAPs started a few years ago. But I think the Welsh were here first, by a good few millennia.

Pray do tell...do you practice condescension as a religeous calling or just for the release afforded by self gratification?

My comments are more appropriate for tuga and the aeroplanes practicing circuits. However, the aeroplanes in your situation are for RAF training according to the report from the link. They are flying aerobat planes and yes they may accelerate for a little time downwards, but this is very minimal, the majority of the noise comes from pulling out of the dive, not in.
You do want our pilots, commercial or military to be trained in flying?
The Welsh hills are a great place for practicing, the ocean is more or less flat, perhaps the RAF can rotate their training regime so that it doesn't annoy you so much?

Not a "religeous calling", just being annoying.

RAF training, incidentally, isn't exactly 'recreational'.
But training Saudis to bomb Yemeni civillians is such a blast. Still, keeps the money rolling in.

Glad you appreciated my DIY ( see what I did there?) self awareness advice re condescension, please feel free to abstract and utilise any elements you yourself may find useful.

advertisement

Back