advertisement

Buying Budget Rega TT - New or Used?

Robn

pfm Member
I'm looking to buy a Rega TT for my daughter. We've looked at other options and agreed to go Rega.

My first separates TT was a Rega 3 back in the late 70s. After a few years I replaced it with a model with the RB300 arm, later I bought a Rega 25.

I was happy with all these decks. Providing they were suitably sited and fitted with suitable cartridges (I tried A&R P77, K9 and then Roksan Chorus Black) they sounded fine; I also liked their simplicity and ease of repair.

The only recent Rega turntable I have heard was a P1, I only heard it briefly but was surprised how good it sounded.

Within my budget I could buy a slightly used or possibly new 'second' modern day P1 or one of the more vintage iterations of the 2 and 3 models?

The deck will be playing through an A&R Cambridge A60 into Ditton 33s, these may of course be changed in the future.

I'd appreciate views as to how a modern P1 would compare soundwise with the more vintage 2s and 3s?

There’s a P1 on here that would fit the bill. You’re right, they sound great. I compared one recently against my P3 (exact) and it sounded really accomplished with the carbon cartridge.

Either a P1 or a vintage Planar 3/RB300 if it's in budget. Both sound good but the old deck is much better built. If you can find a good one it's the better long term bet but they're harder to get now. The P1 sounds almost as good so is also a safe bet.

I have one in the classifieds that I've tasked with reducing.

Keep a lookout if you are interested.

I used to have an RP1 and the Rega planar 3 I have is definitely much better built (as mentioned above ( @Mr Pig ) and certainly feels more premium.

I'm soon to be selling a Rega P1 with an upgraded cart (Goldring E3 purchased here, from @misterc6 ) whereabouts are you based?

Selling as I found a great RP6 and upgraded.

Thank you all, I'm most interested in any comparisons people may have made between how the various models and iterations sound, Mr Pig touches on this. The older models I am familiar with and I agree they are robust but reading about the P1 It would seem it has a better motor than the old models, possibly a better belt too (!). I found I preferred the sound of an acrylic platter to glass when I had Regas before so the loss of a glass platter with a P1 may not be a bad thing. The fixed bias might suit my daughter too but in the end it is how they sound that counts most.

That Planar 3 appears to be in perfect condition for its age. I'd be having it were I in the UK.
I’m actually seeing Anil on Friday and I’d be having it if I didn’t have other priorities, it’s a beautiful deck. It would be an amazing first turntable!

In the context of a budget system, there is very little between a Planar3/RB300 and a current P1. Yes, the build and the arm on the older deck are better but the P1 claws it back in other ways. The 25v motor sounds better than the old 110v one and the lighter plinth for instance.

The plastic platter sounds very similar to the glass one, there is surprisingly little difference. An acrilic platter is a matter of taste but it's not something I would want. In nearly fifty years, Rega have never used one and there is good reason for that.

I'd say that if you can find a clean Planar3 it's the best option as you can do more with it. It will take a 24v motor kit and Neo and it can use pretty much any cartridge. I wouldn't mod the crap out of it as it's not worth it but it is better made and will hold its value better.

I have a p1 and its a great deck but when i changed the cart to an ATvm95e i could not get the cart far enough forward, it turn out the rb110 is very slightly shorter. I bought a used rb220 and its now bang on, i also fitted a p3 glass platter so i call it an RP1.5 now!

The 3 that is on offer via AnilS looks immaculate, just like the second Rega I ever bought! I'm in Forest Gate East london so a long way away from the seller. If it was on the doorstep I'd be extremely interested especially at the new reduced offer price.

If I was buying a deck for me I'd almost certainly go for a used 3, but it is for my daughter who has just moved and is setting up the new home with her boyfriend. They are also expecting a baby in about 12 weeks so I think that the relative limits to the P1's upgradability are not so much of an issue for her, in fact she may well welcome it's simplicity and 'fit and forget' design. If in the fullness of time she is stricken with upgraditis she can always sell a 1 and buy a higher level model!

Thanks again for all input!

In the context of a budget system, there is very little between a Planar3/RB300 and a current P1. Yes, the build and the arm on the older deck are better but the P1 claws it back in other ways. The 25v motor sounds better than the old 110v one and the lighter plinth for instance.

The plastic platter sounds very similar to the glass one, there is surprisingly little difference. An acrilic platter is a matter of taste but it's not something I would want. In nearly fifty years, Rega have never used one and there is good reason for that.

I'd say that if you can find a clean Planar3 it's the best option as you can do more with it. It will take a 24v motor kit and Neo and it can use pretty much any cartridge. I wouldn't mod the crap out of it as it's not worth it but it is better made and will hold its value better.

I thought it was intuitively obvious that the glass would ring more than the acrylic, but i was wrong.

The P3 with PSU is a good little deck, i'm still on the Exact which brings out the bass well.

@Robn appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

The A60 in my sales ad is being collected for the buyer, by another member, who will then take it for him to London.

I'm not sure if you have investigated this thought for your Daughter too?

Kind regards.

I thought it was intuitively obvious that the glass would ring more than the acrylic, but i was wrong.

The P3 with PSU is a good little deck, i'm still on the Exact which brings out the bass well.
With the thickness and relatively small diameter of float glass used, these are deader than a dead thing. Plus, the felt provides ideal damping of the resonances that are excited within the vinyl record by stylus acceleration.

Anyone who doubts such, need only insert a finger through the middle hole of Rega glass and knock hard with the knuckles of their other hand. *

* There now, your knuckles hurt. Serves you right for doubting Uncle Roy!

@Robn appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

The A60 in my sales ad is being collected for the buyer, by another member, who will then take it for him to London.

I'm not sure if you have investigated this thought for your Daughter too?

Kind regards.
Thank you for raising the possibility, to complicate matters further I will be away in West Cornwall next week. Going to park this for backbrain reflection for a while.

With the thickness and relatively small diameter of float glass used, these are deader than a dead thing.

I think that acrylic platters on Rega decks just shows ignorance on the part of the buyer. Other manufacturers use acrylic, Rega and Linn never have. Are they stupid? Do they not know what they are doing?

No. They understand exactly what they are doing and apply design solutions which result in a sound which has stood the test of time. Consistently and repeatedly outselling competitor's decks which employ seemingly 'better' materials like acrylic.

When someone on the internet says 'I bought an acrylic platter and it's better' what that really means is that it's different you you prefer it or you spent the money and you're trying to convince yourself. To think it better you have to applaud the benefits and ignore the things that are worse.

Rega and Linn could easily use acrylic platters but I'm glad they don't. I don't want a record player that sounds like a ProJect and if I did I wouldn't buy a Linn or Rega then knobble it. I'd just buy a ProJect.

Having gone down the vintage Rega route over the last few months with not so good results, i decided on a new fit & forget P1, you will need nothing more, i can assure you.

advertisement

Back