advertisement

Losing ITV Hub on our Panasonic TV from late September

hornblower

pfm Member
Is anyone else affected by this?

Our TV is 4 years old and I am loathe to buy a new one.

Something to do with copyright but very irritating.

I am trying to find a workaround but, sadly I think this is impossible.

:(

Many thanks for the swift reply, sorry to appear thick, but would the Firestick just plug into the Ethernet socket on the TV?

Currently this is occupied by an Ethernet cable's which goes into a Powerline network for Internet access.

Many thanks for this Alex, might have to do a bit of experimenting, though, connecting the TV via the wifi has been flaky in the past, but Powerline gives a solid connection.

All 3 of our Firesticks plug into one of the HDMI sockets. The WiFi connection is well implemented. We use one in our 16 yo PIONEER PDP507XD and another in our
15 yo Sony KDL20S2030U.Works very well indeed!

DV

Agree with Amazon Firestick.
If wifi is flaky then you can get an ethernet adapter for the firestick and plug it into the powerline. - about 12£ish
If you need the ethernet connection to the TV as well you could get a 4 or 8 port ethernet switch from say TP-Link or Netgear and connect the switch to your powerline and the switch to the tv and the firestick - about £20ish
Wil also ned additional ethernet cables too though but these are cheap (unless you need super duper audio ethernet cables :))
May be out on the prices so check prices on Amazon.

I use a Roku stick with my 10 year old Panasonic [used to be called a TV but better to now think of it as a display panel with connectivity] . It works just fine. At the price of the sticks you can afford to experiment and sell what you don't like on Ebay. Definitely no need to move the TV on. One of the good things about these sticks is that they have Apps which work on your smart phone.If the WiFi is flakey just improve it - it will be worth it.

Apple TV could be your friend here.. either HD or 4K version. I only use it for streaming services with my 4K OLED Panasonic TV. Super reliable and very easy to use.

We have iPlayer, ITV Hub, 4OD and Channel 5 apps installed, all work as described

When our Sony stopped doing iPlayer, we got a Firestick for <£20 on a promotion. Works perfectly, even with the Sony remote.
The crazy thing is that the earlier Android based Sony TVs are still fully supported, but their later (Google ?) TVs aren’t. My brother bought one new last year and couldn’t get BBC iPlayer, I thought he was just being technically inept as usual and proclaimed “I’ll have that sorted in five minutes”… nope, he was right, completely unsupported. I gave him a spare firestick, which works seamlessly through the TV remote.

Thanks for the heads up on this - probably the same on our TV.....

Do ITV have any good programmes we might miss?

I also use a roku for smart TV on older TV screens. Seems much more reliable than some of the older TV smart implementations and covers all the services I use inc bt sport

advertisement

Back