advertisement

Exposure VIII Power Amplifier

Shane2468

pfm Member
Hello guys.

Never heard the VIII. What is the sound performance like? Talking about the standard version of the VIII, not the super.

What is the going rate nowadays, for the VIII power amp with the matching preamp?

Thanks.

S.

Never heard the VIII. What is the sound performance like?
I ran an Exposure VIII for a long time as my only audio amp, coupled with a QED passive preamp. Those were days when I wasn't focussed on improving my sound. I just listened to music. I auditioned it in the shop, it sounded great (dynamic, rich and exciting), bought a pair of Rogers ls2a to go with, and happily listened to music for 20 years.
Eventually I allowed myself to be beguiled by the promise of more and better.....but I could still be happy with the Exposure VIII.

Reactions: RoA
I've fixed a few and modded a few. Pretty good but ain't gonna set the world on fire. Avoids things like hardness or edginess etc but ultimately in comparison to better amps lacks a bit of detail, openness and transparency... like all other Exposure amps I've heard, which usually sound like bigger versions of the VIII because that's what they are. NB I haven't heard any Exposure amps designed after say early 90's!

How do the later amps of Exposure compare to the VIII, VIII Super or VIII regulated mono? Are the later XVIII mono regulated (super) and IV DR (mk.II) more open, detailed and transparent?

It's worth spending the extra little bit to get an Exposure IV Stereo, which is a better amp all-round than the VIII series. Not all people like the hugely expensive regulated models like the IVDR either, and of course the dual mono IV models fetch a significantly higher price than the VIII.

These amps were pretty good if I recall a bit soft, not many around now, guess they were made in small batches.
They started out with side-curved lid, later they got a more classic look.
Guess they must be from 80's maybe a bit earlier - there was a history website back then.

I had a 17/18 (XVII/XVIII) early/mid 90's - sometime I preferred the 15/20 (XV/XX) which was among my favorite integrated by then.

JF's flagship were IVDR/XIV/IX (did I get the Romans right ? 4DR/14/9) that was a pretty impressive power supply.
Also some very rare 16 (XVI) mono amps. probably build on two 4DR.

Last edited:
All of that era of Exposure amps are basically the same circuitry.... an exact copy of the Naim 250 but with complementary output stage in fact (as are apparently some later models. I don't know about current models). Only power supplies and casework change as you go up the range. "Regulated" models are not regulated but stabilised... for better or worse!

All of that era of Exposure amps are basically the same circuitry.... an exact copy of the Naim 250 but with complementary output stage in fact (as are apparently some later models. I don't know about current models). Only power supplies and casework change as you go up the range. "Regulated" models are not regulated but stabilised... for better or worse!

Indeed, the VIII uses IV PCBs, but a smaller PSU.

Yes I've read somewhere Farlowe and Vereker did some kind of co-operation.

I haven't....

Until I noticed the similarity and did a more thorough comparison of them which revealed the Exposure to be a copy of the Naim but with complementary outputs, and reported this here a few weeks ago, I'd not seen it said before.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have known this of course and in fact @S-Man chimed in and said he'd found the same thing in comparing the Naim circuit to an Exposure XV integrated amp some time ago.

With the amount said about Naim over the years (a change in the on/off LED colour would apparently warrant a 30 page thread here!) and to a slightly less extent Exposure, it beggars belief that this is not common knowledge!

Not all people like the hugely expensive regulated models like the IVDR either]

What are the downsides of the regulated (sorry, stabilised) versions. It seems, that not all of you prefers them. Why? Not so musical, not so harmonical, less PRAT than on the non-regulated earlier versions? There are regulated and non-regulated versions of the VIII(8), XVIII(18), IV(4), XV(15), XX(20).

PerF, just a little correction: 14=XIV, 13=XIII

What are the downsides of the regulated (sorry, stabilised) versions. It seems, that not all of you prefers them. Why? Not so musical, not so harmonical, less PRAT than on the non-regulated earlier versions? There are regulated and non-regulated versions of the VIII(8), XVIII(18), IV(4), XV(15), XX(20).

PerF, just a little correction: 14=XIV, 13=XIII

Thanks Breeze, now edited.

As for regulated I don't think VIII(8), XVIII(18) had this "feature" as opposite to the integrated XV(15), XX(20)
There was however a "Super" edition of many vintage Exposure amps, no idea what the technical explanation was.

You mean that they have both seen the RCA application notes given out with the appropriate semiconductors?

There are some similarities between the circuit in the RCA application note (No 647 for RCA1B01 output transistors) and the Naim circuit but the Naim is NOT a copy of the RCA circuit... there are many important differences. With the exception of Exposure adding a single 39pF capacitor to their version (and of course it has complementary output devices) it is an exact copy of the Naim circuit.

Some interesting thoughts on circuit comparison which might be best with an ' in my opinion' addition; anyway:)

I have no facts how each of the founders of NAIM and EXPOSURE sourced their respective ideas on the basis of their designs.
I am aware that Exposure's Farlow worked in the pro electronics industry in the studio and live areas late 60's early 70's but have no facts to back this up however this is supported in various reviews and interviews that I have read in the past.

As I am tying to source one of the earliest first release products from EXPOSURE (not their 'speakers EXP I and EXP II) the EXP III pre and IV pwr I came across this which was a good read:

https://ftbw-de.translate.goog/xp/a...uto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en-US&_x_tr_pto=wapp

The 'super' editions of the amplifiers have a higher VA rating which initially came from the removal of the pre-amp psu which earlier models have.

(I will edit here if I can find the link to the Exposure specs)
https://web.archive.org/web/20010216120319/http://www.exposurehifi.com/catalog/list.htm#monoeight

I have had almost all of the Exposure amps over a nearly 40 years and in all side by side tests preferred the 'reg' models.
I can compare XVIIIS against XVIII reg mono and single IV with PSU against a late model dual reg IV (previously tested against but no longer have a dual IV and a mid model dual reg IV H&F transformers).

These amplifiers offer great value for performance with some describing a valve like quality.
Although Exposure have never dictated a ten year recap schedule some of these amps may have 30 plus year old caps which may be prudent to change to get the best out of the amp if not for safety.
The team at EXPOSURE are a friendly bunch and still cater for the older amps.

I have an Exposure 15 I bought new which is 40 watts per channel, the Exposure 15S is 60 watts per channel. Not sure if there any physical difference internally between the two.

I ran a basic 6/7/8 for a very satisfactory 20 years. After that the move to an ATC 150 wpc integrated driving C7 Harbeths sounded more dynamic. I still admire the Exposures which I chose after a demo verses Naim and Linn amps back in 1989 into Isobariks. The dealer told me that I was listening to the wrong type of music:D

advertisement

Back