advertisement

Why does Volumio not work properly?

djftw

Heterodox Member
I haven’t been on her much recently, I’ve been fairly happy with my system and had sort of decided not to mess around any more until I find some ATC SCM40A in Cherry I can afford

I love my MiniDSP SHD, but Volumio on it has been driving me absolutely nuts. Half the time it just doesn’t work, for no reason I can fathom. The control app, on any one of several devices will just say “looking for devices” ad infinitum. The device is there, I can see it using network utilities on the same device. Is Volumio just a useless pile of shite? Everything else on the network works fine first time every time.

I have checked literally everything, every network component has been swapped out, I have even borrowed another SHD and tried that. It makes no difference.

HELP!

Oh and Apple AirPlay will work fine from the same device when the Volumio control app completely fails to recognise the SHD is even there…

I find volumio ok but unreliable at times and apple airplay seems to play in mono rather than stereo. That said 95% of the time I just use Tidal connect which works pretty flawlessly and sounds really good.

edit: used on rpi4

Volumio drove me nuts for same reason, moved to moode which was much more stable, but then ultimately moved to LMS and picoreplayer

I haven’t been on her much recently, I’ve been fairly happy with my system and had sort of decided not to mess around any more until I find some ATC SCM40A in Cherry I can afford

I love my MiniDSP SHD, but Volumio on it has been driving me absolutely nuts. Half the time it just doesn’t work, for no reason I can fathom. The control app, on any one of several devices will just say “looking for devices” ad infinitum. The device is there, I can see it using network utilities on the same device. Is Volumio just a useless pile of shite? Everything else on the network works fine first time every time.

I have checked literally everything, every network component has been swapped out, I have even borrowed another SHD and tried that. It makes no difference.

HELP!

My connection issues with Volumio were lessened by using WiFi instead of Ethernet, using a shortcut to the web interface on my iPhone rather than the Volumio app (the result looks the same), and if ever it still seems slow to respond, by pressing the zone select button in the now playing screen and re-selecting the zone (I only have one zone, but re-selecting it makes the UI snap to attention again).

HTH.

I tried to love volumio but I think it tries to hard to do everything it never went for a day without dying. I am going back a few years mind.

I tried to love volumio but I think it tries to hard to do everything it never went for a day without dying. I am going back a few years mind.

FWIW it’s had at least one major design overhaul and looks pretty slick now IMO, and certainly since the last significant update has never died on me.

advertisement

Back