advertisement

King Charles III

I'm surprised & congratulate the restraint shown on this thread for the demise of our leading monarch. I expected more vitriol considering the left's stance on other forums, where celebration seems to be the order of the day.

Try the Charles thread.

Of these protesters, most are just there as trolls. Very few are genuine, many just enjoy playing little games with the authorities, like we used to do as youngsters. Of course they arrange to be filmed, post this on social media and feel like heroes, while they are just pathetic.

Police, by leading them away, actually preserve them from making themselves look even more ridiculous.

I do condemn police violence if there is any, but there are more sensible ways to protest against monarchy. Going there perfectly knowing that police will take you out is just puerile.

"He writes and speaks on legal rights for the natural world, as well as representing the natural world (including trees and rivers) in the courts as best he can within the current legal framework. He has a natural affinity for water, lives on a boat and has founded a community project to restore a river in East London." https://advaya.co/people/paul-powlesland

Yeah, just a troll in it for the clicks and giggles... :rolleyes:

I'm deeply concerned by reports that people are being arrested for expressing their views in support of a Republic. In a democracy, people must always have the right to peacefully express their opinions. I will be seeking to raise this in Parliament when it resumes next week.

Labour’s Richard Burgon speaking out against the authoritarianism/state-enforced mourning too (Twitter).

PS Disappointed not to see anything from Caroline Lucas or the LDs yet as they tend to be the ones on the side of human rights and civil liberties.

Old New Labour are on the case now:

People being arrested for holding up placards, and even for saying they might, amid a vast sea of support from public and media, is about as unbritish as it gets. The most right wing government in our history might think this is sensible. But I cannot believe the new King does.

Alistair Campbell (Twitter).

Just having to watch Brillo doing his best Cap'n Bob impression on C4, crikey he's killed, sorry, died his hair enough to play for the Cure tonight. C bloody 4, Marr and the that woman from songs of praise. This'll be our media for the month of mourning cos there's sod all else to worry about.

Why should folk be surprised at the lack of protest in Edinburgh... It's bound tae be faux tears and fur coats....efter a' ...it has been an English toun for nigh on a thousand years ...:(

Have you never taken a firm moral stand against anything?
Yes, at my local section of 'SOS Racisme' for two years, imagine this Tony ;) Then the leader of the section was replaced, and I felt I didn't have anything to do there any longer.

...the views of the Queen and Charles are comfortably to the left of the 79-97 and 2010-present Govts!
Supporting evidence: Peter Oborne, a journalist who used to write for the Telegraph and Mail, has co-written an interesting article about Charles's supportive view of Islam, and the possibility that, however quietly, he'll use his platform to push a more tolerant message than the current government's.

https://www.middleeasteye.net/opinion/king-charles-most-pro-islam-monarch-british-history

Richard Murphy arguing that the arrests at the apparently state-enforced mourning yesterday were in breach of the UN Declaration of Human Rights (Twitter). Hopefully those illegally restrained and detained by the police will have the ability to take legal action.

Richard Murphy arguing that the arrests at the apparently state-enforced mourning yesterday were in breach of the UN Declaration of Human Rights (Twitter). Hopefully those illegally restrained and detained by the police will have the ability to take legal action.
Yes. We are giving away our democratic and human rights in exchange for the right to worship a higher authority.

advertisement

Back