advertisement

Her Majesty the Queen RIP

I even wonder if it might already have happened, to be honest.
Likewise. It's more than possible. There will be a physician in attendance, so there's no holdup with the admin, but they will have seen this day coming and prepared for it. They would have to go some to outdo the sanguine approach of a friend of mine - his mother died in his home after a long illness, his response was to ring his wife, who is a GP, ask her to come home when she saw fit with the relevant paperwork, and then order pizza.

A sad time for the family no doubt, best wishes to them.
…………..
So far we have had an hour of various correspondents on the BBC reflecting on ‘what we know already’ - code for absolutely nothing - why not carry on with the normal schedule and give us a periodic update when there’s something to say?
Of course they will have to outdo the coverage for Philip if the worst happens, think I’ll switch the tv off for a week in that case.

We're going to have weeks of oleaginous comment.

Time for a republic.
Perhaps, but do you think that the disUK as a whole is ready for it? It always struck me that the monarchy was regarded, perhaps subconsciously, as a necessary reminder of greater days, when, just beyond living memory, Britannia ruled the waves, plus about one-quarter of the planet's surface. Look at the films of Bets's coronation with all those colonial troops, when the UK was flat broke, but could still pretend to have world-striding capabilities, until hit by reality in the Suez crisis. Chuck's coronation (my money's on George VII) will be a rather smaller and less grand affair - always assuming that, in the present state of the nation, a coronation of any kind can be afforded. If Chuck had half a brain, he'd forgo anything grand - let's face it, the only essential part of the ceremony is the anointing and crowning in the Abbey - and have any proposed coronation money spent on the welfare of the UK's deprived citizens.

Likewise. It's more than possible. There will be a physician in attendance, so there's no holdup with the admin, but they will have seen this day coming and prepared for it. They would have to go some to outdo the sanguine approach of a friend of mine - his mother died in his home after a long illness, his response was to ring his wife, who is a GP, ask her to come home when she saw fit with the relevant paperwork, and then order pizza.

Grief does terrible things to people mate.

My brother in law,God rest him, saw a death as a means to party so when my mother in law died he turned up at our house with six cans, my wife and her dad were bereft but did see the funny side of Alan who was actually a really nice guy despite being a raging alcoholic, he died at 41.

Very sad news Im pretty sure I would and indded have taken a bit of a turn for the worse seeing the outgoing and incomming PMs and the state we have manged to get ourselves into. God bless her though she has been steadfast and a true champion for the UK. I hope she gets better.

So, perhaps we will soon have a king, for whom the environment has been a principle concern all his working life. It'll be interesting to see what happens if this government rows back on its climate and environment pledges.
Yeah he was a big environmentalist like his dad.

I’ve absolutely no time for the royal family but the queen has been an amazing example of someone putting the country before herself she’s been selfless for seventy odd years her family not so much they’re a shower of effin parasites.

I hope the end is quick she deserves that.

There will be a full state funeral and I’ll have a drink to her cause there’s no doubt she is/was a good person.

The Queen is this nation's last constant. She - not the monarchy, she personally - is the last national institution that hasn't fallen into disrepair, disregard or distrust. I don't think we're remotely ready for her loss.

I'm a republican, by the way. With obvious, non-sweating exceptions I have nothing against the royals as people, I just think they shouldn't exist. But I still dread the Queen dying.

Russ Jones, TheWeekInTory guy, nails it IMHO (Twitter).

advertisement

Back