advertisement

Headphone earpiece foam - type of foam?

starbuck

pfm Member
I have an old pair of Sennheiser HD40 headphones, the ones which originally had a thin-ish bright yellow foam insert that sat on the ear when worn. The yellow foam on my ones have at some point in the past been replaced by pretty poorly hand cut foam of the type you might find dividing LPs in old classical vinyl box sets. Luckily the replacement foam hasn't disintegrated yet and I would like to replace it before it does.

What type of foam should I be looking for? The pieces needed are approximately 70mm in diameter and I guess something about 7 or 8mm thick would work best but open to options. I am expecting to have to cut the circles out myself, hopefully a little better than the ones presently fitted, reverting to the original colour of the foam isn't important to me so black/grey/brown woud be fine.

I´m surprised you can´t buy them made by Sennheiser themselves. I use Beyer DT531s and you can buy everything from Beyer from drivers to foam pads tp plastic skull cradle etc. etc. Ask Thomann.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I´m surprised you can´t buy them made by Sennheiser themselves. I use Beyer DT531s and you can buy everything from Beyer from drivers to foam pads tp plastic skull cradle etc. etc. Ask Thomann.

I did search but the only link I found to original Sennheiser ones were out of stock (at Sennheiser) and with the UK having departed the EU the total price would likely be prohibitive compared to what I imagine a small sheet of foam is likey to cost for me to cut pieces from, assuming I can find the right type.

It will be polyurethane, you can buy PU foam in a range of colours and thicknesses. You can get it posted for a few pounds, cut your shapes to fit, adhesive of choice, that's you done.

It's often sold as "furniture foam" because, erm, have a guess.

The HD40 earpieces sit flat on the ear rather than your ear sitting inside the pads, if you see what I mean. I'm not sure what changing the type of the earpad would do to the sound, which is currently very good despite the cheap feel/look (and original RRP) of them, so I will stick to something similar to the originals but thanks for the link.
They are on ear according to the description. Why do you think they are different?

It will be polyurethane, you can buy PU foam in a range of colours and thicknesses. You can get it posted for a few pounds, cut your shapes to fit, adhesive of choice, that's you done.

It's often sold as "furniture foam" because, erm, have a guess.

Thanks for that, I wasn't sure what name to search for so will go and hunt for some now.

They are on ear according to the description. Why do you think they are different?

My mistake in referring to them as over ear but you can see from what HD40 headphones look like in the following link that the pads sold on ebay are definitely different to the originals. As to whether they would alter the sound, I can't say, but I would hazard a guess they will certainly feel different on the head/ears. One of the things I ike about the HD40 is how light they are and that they don't feel clammy over longer periods of use.

https://stereonomono.blogspot.com/2020/05/sennheiser-hd40-headphones.html

advertisement

Back