advertisement

Naim Uniti Atom as a streamer only

DodgyEars

pfm Member
Hello,

i am thinking of taking my existing naim 72/140/HC to the 21st centuary by potentially adding a naim uniti atom. Does it make sense to use the atom as a streamer only? Or is it a bit of a overkill, when not using it as an amplifier? Given the price tag, it is certainly not cheapest option - but gives you more flexibility for the future.
Any help/advice appreciated.

ive just bought a project stream box ultra s2 which does everything youll need plus more for £300 used or £600 new. ok its basically rasberry pi based but its plug n play for all streaming services plus roon approved.

ive just bought a project stream box ultra s2 which does everything youll need plus more for £300 used or £600 new. ok its basically rasberry pi based but its plug n play for all streaming services plus roon approved.

thanks - i will have a look.

Are you looking for a streamer only or a DAC + streamer? The Uniti Atom is quite expensive. Given the ordinary test results from Audiosciencereview and L7audiolab, the Atom is difficult to recommend..

There are a number of reasonably priced options, ready made and DIY that you might want to consider. If the streamer needs to match your Naim gear, you might be. Able to re-house it in a Naim style shoebox case.

Hello,

i am thinking of taking my existing naim 72/140/HC to the 21st centuary by potentially adding a naim uniti atom. Does it make sense to use the atom as a streamer only? Or is it a bit of a overkill, when not using it as an amplifier? Given the price tag, it is certainly not cheapest option - but gives you more flexibility for the future.

Are you looking for a streamer only or a DAC + streamer? The Uniti Atom is quite expensive. Given the ordinary test results from Audiosciencereview and L7audiolab, the Atom is difficult to recommend..

There are a number of reasonably priced options, ready made and DIY that you might want to consider. If the streamer needs to match your Naim gear, you might be. Able to re-house it in a Naim style shoebox case.

Any recommendations for ready made options DAC + Streamer in one?

I'd argue that an Atom is great, and the reviews by ASR et all certainly don't change that view - see other threads for that bizarre tale. However, I don't think it's a good value solution for you. If you want Naim, about £1800 will get you the excellent ND5XS2 streamer from eBay - that plus your amplification should be rather better than an Atom.

If you want to spend rather less, there are lots of good streamers both new & secondhand that will do a good job. How about the Audiolab 6000N (£500), Arcam ST60 (£1200), Cambridge CXN (V2) (£1000) or Bluesound Node 2i (£550)? Just check that the functionality (e.g. Qobuz) matches what you want.

One can always buy cheaper of course and still get great sound/decent interface, I have had a Lindemann Network2 as well as the Bridge2, and these little boxes have been quite good! Currently using the Bridge2 in the main setup and it hasn't let me down yet. Just thought worth a mention, and there are certainly many really good options out there for about any kind of money one cares to spend.

Hello,

The Atom has neither a digital out nor a line out, so you are using it as a DAC and preamp whether you like it or not. It only really makes sense if you want an all-in-one.
I would consider an Innuos Zen Mini if you want a ‘shoebox’ format streamer. The current Mk3 version has a DAC built in, so you can use it directly into your preamp, and if you want to add a separate DAC or streamer later it can be used with a digital or network connection.

].

LMAO

Innuos have a new Pulse streamer coming out very soon, might be worth checking that out, otherwise a Bluesound Node is a great option for Qobuz, the app is very good. If you need a Dac, then you could also consider the NAD C 658, it use the same software as the Node, but has a better dac.

Is ASR authoritative source? Do people take it seriously?

I have been down this route so many times and spent more than I care to admit on dedicated streamers. They tick a lot of boxes (no pun intended) as they are a single box solution but, IMHO, you'd be far better spending on a streamer and then a DAC of your choice. After having expensive models from the likes of Naim and Linn I settled on a Bluesound Node, largely for the UI and options it offers, and a Chord Qutest DAC with ELAC active speakers and it's as good as anything I have heard by some margin. It's also very simple. The bonus is that I can change any of the individual components as I need to.

YMMV but whatever you decide just consider all the options and combinations available and trust your ears, not the brands.

Good luck!

I own a SuperUniti which is a real ‘Swiss army knife’ of a device working as an all in one, pre amp, streamer DAC or just a streamer, I have used it in all of these configurations over the years amazing bit of kit. Sadly Naim seem to have cottoned on to this and have nurtured their current Uniti range so that you can’t turn off the amp and there is no digital output so that you cannot use it as a streamer into another DAC.

Sadly the Atom is not an efficient use of resources as a streamer

Does it make sense to use the atom as a streamer only?

Not really as its an excellent All-in-One.

You pay a lot extra to use it as streamer only, unless you plan to use it elsewhere later and as intended ?

Mind you there's good streamers out there at decent prices, if you wish to stream.
Development is going fast, this years favorite could be next years old edition.
The cheapest way is possible your phone into a Zen Bluetooth or similar.

Naim streamers are very expensive with risk of being quick outdated after a period of "X" years, just look at the old models.

I run a Naim Nova for the convenience of a one box system. It is a great bit of kit but the same as the atom, it is restricting. I’d go for a stand-alone if I were in your shoes.

advertisement

Back