advertisement

Anyone on PFM testing Witch Hat Spectre speaker cable?

Spectre discussion seem to be generally banned on the green forum now, just replied to a new thread which instantly got deleted, not sure why ?.

I'd guess it's that Witch Hat offers not just rival cable options, but Naim amp/power supply modifications (e.g. the 82 Superlink), and rival 'unofficial' kit servicing. Plus, their 'ex Naim engineer' creds. We know that Naim has a strict intolerance of kit mods.

Leave a thread in place referring to Witch Hat, then Naim owners delve further and find out more. From Naim's perspective, why give oxygen to a rival, and one which offers unofficial mods by ex-Naim staff?

I got an email from WH saying that Spectre presales would start 1st Sept and that tomorrow they would be sharing the reviews from their prototype testers.
Interesting to see where they position them price-wise. I think the Phantoms are successful as they are cheerfully cheap and perform well around the ~£100/M range (at least)? If they are to continue (I hope) with a similar approach, they might cost ~£100/M mark and compete in the £150-300 (and Superlumina?)

I was hoping for more reviews but probably only a (careful?) selection has been published

https://witchhatservicing.co.uk/blog/

Being better reviewed vs the Phantoms, NACA5 and Kudos KS-1 is not too surprising or even terribly informative but from what WH comment themselves about Superlumina (based on a review preferring SL - “different” but both “excellent”) kind of confirms where they are aiming for? And they even dare mention ChordMusic in the same sentence:))
By the way I don’t think the SL or ChordMusic are “bright” at all as WH call them so this makes me think the Spectre would be slightly less detailed with a darker presentation than neutral - may be more like TQ?
If they are “only” about twice the price of Phantom it might make them attractive?

Last edited:
Hi all I know the price of these as was one of the guys that had them on test and I am not going to say the price as that's not for me to do, but I think you will be happy with it, especially against the price of the other 2 cables mentioned and even more so if you go with the special discount offered at the start.
I have just changed my speakers from pmc fact 12's to titan 808's and running in some new kudos ks1 cable right now to see and will how it fairs against the spectre cable in about a weeks time

was one of the guys that had them on test

It seem many testers used higher hierarchy Naim amps, 135 and 500 series.

Not sure what the recommendations are for lower Naim kit or alternative amplication ?
Perhaps someone would comment on this.

Not sure what the recommendations are for lower Naim kit or alternative amplication ?

Best way is just try if they fall into your budget. As they will be offering an extended 60 days I believe on return if you don't like.

I don’t use Naim power amps and I’m a tester. WH wanted a few non Naim users.

Was it only me who saw this by chance!

WH actually had the prices briefly on Friday morning but it was quickly removed when the official email was sent out about the launch.

From my brief look, 2x4m was around £1,300
Compared to Phantom for about £320. Not sure if it was a test page or prices were in draft mode but I was surprised as WH products are going up fast for their latest upgrades.

Phantom looking tremendous value if you looking for an upgrade in these cash strapped times.

Was it only me who saw this by chance!

WH actually had the prices briefly on Friday morning but it was quickly removed when the official email was sent out about the launch.

From my brief look, 2x4m was around £1,300
Compared to Phantom for about £320. Not sure if it was a test page or prices were in draft mode but I was surprised as WH products are going up fast for their latest upgrades.

Phantom looking tremendous value if you looking for an upgrade in these cash strapped times.
No, I saw it too- noticed it would be around £2k for 7 metres.

Witch Hat prices are out for Spectre. Up to 25% discount for WH customers. So under £1,000 for 2 x4m with the extra 5%

More expensive than I had hoped. I guess they prefer gold plated bananas since silver is not offered. I wonder if they are using WBT crimps if one chooses WBT plugs?

Witch Hat prices are out for Spectre. Up to 25% discount for WH customers. So under £1,000 for 2 x4m with the extra 5%

I preordered my 4m pair with AQ bananas at both ends. As a current Phantom owner, and with the preorder discount, I was just over £800 shipped to the States. I'll be very pleased with the price if these deliver the performance that some of the beta testers have told me about via DM.

advertisement

Back