advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

Pilot Sport AS 4 would be a more appropriate choice for that car.
The Pilot Sport AS 4 would be appropriate as a 3 season tire but where I live in Canada a winter tire with the little mountain logo is required by law between December and March. The CrossClimate 2 has the logo but is not W rated.. I use Nokian WR G4s on my Sportwagon (good tires overall but getting noisy after 40k kils.) and I'm waiting delivery of a new gti.

Last edited:
Van has a set of fronts every 25k/6 Months, I've had a few sets of Falkens which have been decent on all aspects aside from noise, trying a pair of Hankooks this time as they were a lot lower rated on the noise front. Must say after about 2k I can't tell any difference in noise and the fuel consumption has gone up from 52 to 50mpg!

If we are playing the "you need the best possible" card then I hope all adherents use something like Yoko or Avon 3 22 in summer for maximum grip, after all a child could run out, and ideally in autumn and spring the best wet trip tyre, say Uniroyal, and obviously in winter a winter tyre. After all a child could run out.

If not then you are choosing a compromise. Buying the premium brands is reassuringly expensive but no guarantee of best performance. Therein lies the rub. A midprice winter tyre generally outperforms your best 4 season tyre, in the winter. So choose your compromise. It won't be "the best" unless you change in the seasons as I suggest above.

Just to add to the confusion, some of the budget tyres are really poor, but some are good. Test results prove this.

The Pilot Sport AS 4 would appropriate as a 3 season tire but where I live in Canada a winter tire with the little mountain logo is required by law between December and March. The CrossClimate 2 has the logo but is not W rated.. I use Nokian WR G4s on my Sportwagon (good tires overall but getting noisy after 40k kils.) and I'm waiting delivery of a new gti.

The new GTI will come with summer tires? They usually come with either Continental or Pirelli, or at least they do in the US, I dunno if it's different for Canada.

If you're looking at the CC as a second set of winter tires, then sure go for it. But they would hold the car back during the seasons where they're not needed.

Well folks, this thread seems to have reached its use-by date - but don't miss next week's gripping episode:

'Man proposes connecting his £2k streamer and £4k dac with the USB cable that came with his old printer' :D

Well folks, this thread seems to have reached its use-by date - but don't miss next week's gripping episode:

'Man proposes connecting his £2k streamer and £4k dac with the USB cable that came with his old printer' :D
....which will work bit-perfectly on the data that came down the ancient thin phone line linking him along with hundreds of others to the cabinet just down the road.

Last edited:
After being prompted by an impending MOT and more recently this thread to check out best tyre performance online/ vids etc it occurred to me that what would be really useful would be follow up tests say after 5/10k miles to see how these same tyres were doing...

Are you saying one might eventually tire of this thread?

Another vote for Michelin Cross Climate; quieter, comfier and more long-lasting than the Nokian All-Weather that they replaced. They look like they will last longer too and handling is just as good.

As an aside, I once spoke to a chap who grew up in a circus. I asked him if he ever met Travelling People on the road. He said they sometimes did and one of his abiding childhood memories is of the grown-ups endlessly discussing tyres and tyre life.

Another aside: the origins of the word tyre are completely mysterious. One hypothesis is a contraction of "attire," another of some word in Tamil. But nothing convincing.

If we are playing the "you need the best possible" card then I hope all adherents use something like Yoko or Avon 3 22 in summer for maximum grip, after all a child could run out, and ideally in autumn and spring the best wet trip tyre, say Uniroyal, and obviously in winter a winter tyre. After all a child could run out.

If not then you are choosing a compromise. Buying the premium brands is reassuringly expensive but no guarantee of best performance. Therein lies the rub. A midprice winter tyre generally outperforms your best 4 season tyre, in the winter. So choose your compromise. It won't be "the best" unless you change in the seasons as I suggest above.

Just to add to the confusion, some of the budget tyres are really poor, but some are good. Test results prove this.
The winter tyre will outperform the more expensive 4 season, but only when there is snow on the ground, and how often is that in the UK? A good 4 season tyre is much more suited to a UK winter imo. What you need is better grip at low temps and in the wet (or both) which a good 4 season will give you. I used Crossclimates on my last three cars and they were excellent, I had no complaints. Their snow performance was very good too- I grew up in Braemar in the Cairngorms and visit my parents regularly, so they had plenty use on snow and ice.

If not then you are choosing a compromise. Buying the premium brands is reassuringly expensive but no guarantee of best performance.
I don't think anybody has argued that you need the best possible (for all circumstances) but rather that choosing consistently poorly-performing tyres is a bad choice to make. It's not 'you must buy the best' it's 'don't buy the worst'. There's a world of difference in there which is overrun by your deliberately preposterous take.

advertisement

Back