advertisement

ESL 57s and Cats

Mine rested upon three spikes and were never knocked off the stands by either cat.

hysj3Ae.jpg

Quite so. One of our gorgeous girls, Freckles, was a dab hand at nicking food…..Jerk Chicken from the pot, pizza from the plate, and bread from the counter top were her star performances. She was a badly damaged rescue kitty, who went over the rainbow bridge way, way too young at about five y.o. We hope that we gave her three good and loving years.

Always sad to hear an early visit to the rainbow bridge. This Burmese was not ours. We looked after her for a year whilst her staff travelled and she got on well with our 2 cats but was a gorgeous terror. Neighbour's terrier chased her into our house. Big mistake. The dog lost. I have a photo of her somewhere with the beef!

Thanks - I've thought of that but can't find any big enough to go round them.
Alternatives include chicken wire but it's all getting messy.

I've got them covered normally and I'm generally confined to bookshelves on stands unless I fancy some serious listening and just lock the door of my listening room.
NASA have moved their next launch to september 3rd. They could solve your problem! ;)

Andy

On the plus side, the Quads use very high voltage so there is a possibility the cat might get evaporated.

The effective series resistance is probably quite high. So the cat would get a 'belt' of some kind. But how serious it would be *if* it reached the charged part I have no idea. The cat that got caught on the grill of my friend's 57 didn't get a shock so far as we know... at least no *electric* shock. It was a bit distressed by not being able to disentangle itself though. So leared a lesson from that.

I have silk covers that go over my 57's. The cats never bother them. I trim their nails every week, they don't claw at things.

Except they'd go for magnepans, they're just too big and tempting.

My fix for that is put a big piece of foam-core in front of them when I'm not using them. Works fine.

The effective series resistance is probably quite high. So the cat would get a 'belt' of some kind. But how serious it would be *if* it reached the charged part I have no idea. The cat that got caught on the grill of my friend's 57 didn't get a shock so far as we know... at least no *electric* shock. It was a bit distressed by not being able to disentangle itself though. So leared a lesson from that.
Do cat’s claws conduct electricity? I suspect not.

Do cat’s claws conduct electricity? I suspect not.

Well at kV levels any moisture on them would conduct to some extent. :) Also pointed objects tend to conduct.

Reminds me of someone who I worked with in the past (different projects but same group). He was using 'cat fur' plush velvet cloth as the cathode for a pulsed MW TX. MV bias between it and the anode. This used the individual velvet strands as pointed emitters. Gave curent sharing. High current density in the beam.

Had to change the cathode after each shot, though. 8-] But no cats were harmed in the process.

advertisement

Back