advertisement

Favourite tyre brand?

We had an MOT comment to the effect that the front tyres would need replacing soon .... not the rear.
Could possibly get them to fit new to the rear and move the Dunlops to the front - no doubt another wedge of cash would be involved ;)

Assuming all four wheels are the same size, any decent fitter should rotate (swap) as part of the fitting. It's only another two or three minutes with the windy gun.

Cross climates too. They make perfect sense for the UK climate, even if there are only one or two snow days per year.

Just to make very clear !!

None of the tyres are worn to excess - all have a decent amount of tread on them (3mm for the rear) and none are very near or below the indicators.
The front near-side tyre is however getting close to the indicators and has a measured tread depth of 2mm across the tyre - which is what triggered the MOT comment - an indicative, not a priority per se. There is also some very mild cracking to be seen on this tyre and it doesn't hold pressure as well as the others; all in all enough to make replacement IMV a necessity sooner rather than later - hence my query in the OP.

I have no qualms replacing the front tyres when the rear are not worn and perfectly up to the job, have done it many times before in the same circumstances - if the fitters raise strong grounds for not mixing tread types or recommend swapping I will heed their advice obvs.

Whilst 3mm is not an MOT failure, it is borderline "decent amount of tread" and will only go one way with use. Performance drops significantly below 3mm.

tread-depth.gif

Source: https://www.rospa.com/rospaweb/docs/advice-services/road-safety/vehicles/tyre-tread-depth.pdf

MIRA and RoSPA both recommend changing at 3mm.

However, that's a recommendation, not law, ditto tyre rotation. I'm sharing the info with you in the spirit of helpfulness :)

However, that's a recommendation, not law, ditto tyre rotation. I'm sharing the info with you in the spirit of helpfulness :)

I'm sure you mean well, but:

1. This is not the first car I have owned by any means.

2. It wasn't really my question (contained in the thread title)

3. I also have access to Google.

:)

Hi i have a Nissan juke, and i have Michelin tyres, i am needing a couple for the front soon, just been on a common website, 118, makes and models, raging from £62 to £162, each, what a minefield, i just go to a tyre dealer near me, Mr tyre, not kidding, and just go for something in the middle, shop around, Halfords, and Quick fit, are very expensive,
just been looking at the ratings, the cheap tyres have the same ratings as the most expensive,:eek::rolleyes:

Bridgestone here. Can't remember the model/number.
Purely because they were fitted to the car (Astra) from new.
No problem with grip/road noise and they seem fairly long lasting.
Car is 2 years old and around 35k miles. Replaced the fronts last year at around 24k. Still on the original rears with plenty of tread left. I'm pretty cautious though so will change them before winter.

Hi i have a Nissan juke, and i have Michelin tyres, i am needing a couple for the front soon, just been on a common website, 118, makes and models, raging from £62 to £162, each, what a minefield, i just go to a tyre dealer near me, Mr tyre, not kidding, and just go for something in the middle, shop around, Halfords, and Quick fit, are very expensive,
just been looking at the ratings, the cheap tyres have the same ratings as the most expensive,:eek::rolleyes:

Wonderful! Sounds like something from Noddy and Bigears or Ivor the Engine. Do you address him as "Mr. Tyre"?

Michelin PS5 certainly seem to be well written about / reviewed of late, certainly as an 'all round' tyre. (groan)
I'm trying something different at the moment - Conti SC 7's, and will go for the same brand as winter tyres.
I am liking how these are going for now, a road trip will give me a better idea next week.

Yeah - we have a Mr Tyre about 5 miles from us, prices look reasonable even if the brands sound like some of the more esoteric cheap hifi offerings on Amazon o_O

Last edited:
I don’t want crossclimate tyres: they are noisier and wear more rapidly. They also are less effective in snow.
I’m still running on Michelin Energy Savers (while they can be found, about the best tyre ever) and Alpine in winter.

Michelin for 40 years. Nothing else will do. I tried.
What @chartz said. Michelin - all the way if I'm paying with my own dosh, unless specific tyre match to a car is necessary. Optimum for steering feel, grip and longevity in my sheltered life (including 37 years as an automotive engineer).

Had crossclimates on previous cars- excellent tyres particularly in the wet.

Current car has Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersports which are brilliant tyres. If you check user reviews on Tyrereviews.com they score higher than Michelin Pilot Sports, which are what a lot of people seem to rave about.

Goodyear efficient performance 2, great wet tyre but I smash a front set in about 18 months, normal mileage sub 10k year. I do like to hoon around the bends though.

advertisement

Back