advertisement

Flac replay diappointment .

..... I next read about the IFi Micro USB 3 and decided to give it a try. It plugs in between the source and dac. It turns out this really did bring much better definition and an even more open sound to my system. I was finally getting a better sound than the original CDP.

The ifi Micro usb 3 is no longer available. An alternative which is very good and line powered is the Douk Audio
Mini USB to Optical / Coaxial Converter XMOS 208 Digital Interface DSD DOP 192KHz.
Best to use the Douk Audio asio driver which should come on a mini disk in the box (use the win 8 / 10 version).

My own experience was that usb from iMac was exactly as you describe (veiled, flat etc. Horrible), but streaming those same files to a RPi/Digione or even a Squeezebox Touch was transformational. Both of those options are dirt cheap.

I happily play FLAC direct from my laptop via Foobar to some powered desktop speakers as a second system whilst working - the files are on a NAS which also connects to my main system over ethernet for streaming. I use a cheap Hifime USB-SPDIF convertor on the laptop to ensure isolation. Worth trying a commercial downloaded hi-res FLAC release just in case something has gone awry with your ripping, and the suggestion above that you have laptop audio at max is a good one (also no other processing turned on)

As good as or perhaps better than the CDP into my DAC - files (FLAC/WAV/AIFF/DSD) on a NAS that only has music on it served by Roon (on a separate drive on the same NAS). The Apple products are only used for control purposes.

I've never experienced the OP's problem - before the current set-up I was using Asset to serve files from my iMac to the Moon Mind app on the same iMac then Roon and files on the iMac (the NAS came about because I needed storage space for the files).

My point?
It's perhaps worth investing a little. I have cables that cost more than the Roon lifetime sub :)

....My first attempts were frustrating as the results weren't anywhere near the quality of the CDP. I used FLAC files and Foobar2000 from a laptop, but it sounded flat and rubbish. I moved to Media Monkey and finally JRiver.

One of the nice things about Linux is the 'aplay' and 'arecord' commands which you can know send direct if/as you specify. That provides a reference check for any desktop level software. When doing tests on DACs and ADCs this is handy.

Linux also offers a set of 'files' you can read which show the actual rates, etc, being sent or received. So reading their content as you play some audio helps show if something odd is happening under the surface.

Once you're sure that your Windows and player software are optimized, I'd consider using Fidelizer to minimise the computer's noise contribution. I was sufficiently impressed to upgrade to the -Pro version.

I think we can confidently say, none of these, unless the laptop is faulty.

I don't think a Windows laptop is ideal for streaming but it can work. Needs WASAPI or ASIO and a player than won't mess with the sound, I use Foobar 2000. I also always set Windows to "No Sounds" in the Sound Scheme in Control Panel.

Tim

I also use Foobar2000 (with Win 10) do you really still need to use WASAPI or ASIO with Win 10?

I also use Foobar2000 (with Win 10) do you really still need to use WASAPI or ASIO with Win 10?

You don't need to at all, if you are happy with the sound. I often don't bother especially as I have multiple audio devices connected and it's more convenient for Windows to manage them. I do highly recommend using a silent sound scheme though.

Tim

If you have kept up to date with patches from MS then you don't need to use USB drivers. In fact their use may well cause problems.

That’s a really long USB cable. 5m is really the absolute limit but that would be a single unbroken cable, not two cables connected together. Try a single cable that has the connectors you need to go from A to B without extensions or adapters.

I would also echo all of the advice about choice of playback software and OS/driver configuration. This can make a huge difference.

What software was used to transfer the music to your laptop? There can be numerous settings within is type of software, particularly with regards to compression. Default settings may compress a little to preserve space on the hard drive. Check the file size to that of the original CD.

FLAC can use more computation time to compress data more but once decompressed it will be lossless.

And the OP hasn't appeared back yet....lots of useful info on the thread though!

advertisement

Back