advertisement

Bang & Olufsen.

justshoemark

pfm Member
Hi all. Just a quick question.
Has anyone used and bang olufsen beomast as a pre amplifier?
I was think 5500 6500 or 7000.
Just wondering if any one had used one or is it a bad idea.
Many thanks

If you want to use one of these models as a preamp only, go for the Beomaster 5000 as it’s the only one with a proper, buffered line level output taken from between the pre and power amp stages.

The 5500, 6500 and 7000 merely used an attenuated version of the speaker outputs, which isn’t ideal.

If you want to use one of these models as a preamp only, go for the Beomaster 5000 as it’s the only one with a proper, buffered line level output taken from between the pre and power amp stages.

The 5500, 6500 and 7000 merely used an attenuated version of the speaker outputs, which isn’t ideal.
thanks for that..

Beomasters are great. Well made. High quality components. Easy to repair. I’ve a Beogram 7000 CD from 1992 that’s not missed a heartbeat. Phenomenal build quality and after listening to over 30 CD players in my time it sounds epic.

The reason. Is I used to have a bang olufsen full system and found it a joy to use and the remote was brilliant and I enjoyed the sound.
It was so easy to turn on as the remote link all the parts and would turn the part you wanted on.
I enjoy what I have now when I put it on. Just have alot of boxes to turn on.
I don't really want to change my speakers as I enjoy them alot but it might be easier to go the active route.

I’ve listened to so many speakers. In 2017, I toured the audiophile dealers in the country including the ATC factory and have never looked back. Actives are IMHO far ahead in every way and the icing on the cake is room correction/compensation which the newer Beolabs deliver strongly on. Throughly recommended. Wish you the best in your journey.

Hi,
Whilst not the answer to your question. I have a Beosound 9000 and Beosound 4 driving my multiroom, I moved away from Knekt and never looked back. Both have capable tuners, the 9000 has digital output on CD only which if you have digital actives transforms the sound. Sadly in hifi terms they aren't as good as you Cana get in separates, but in terms of joy to use light years better. No better alarm clock than setting a beotime. I have several pairs of lab 9's around the house and one pair of Lab 5's and honestly I'd take them over any "hifi" amp and speaker combo for the same price every day of the week. Lab 5's driven by a DCS network bridge is really quite spectacular. Sorry it doesn't quite answer your question but there is magic in B&O. I have it in the car too and it's a great setup there.

Thank you for your replys.
I have always fancied the beolab 5s. One day maybe.
I am using a musical fidelity f25 pre and two fqt power amps to drive my linn isobariks and I do enjoy it.
And my smaller set up is Rogers ls7 with a quad 303 and a Inca tech pre amp or a sugden a28 mk2 I use this system for the films and music on the TV.

Was seriously considering a Beomaster 5000 as part of major system simplification for a while .for it's ability to be used with either active or passive speakers but had to be compatible with AT cartridge - have gone a different route now.

I modified my 5500 to transform the output into a proper preamp output.
The mod is somewhere on Beoworld.

I haven’t compared it to anything Mark, that was to use with Beolab 6000’s active speakers.

Did finish up buying the Beomaster 5000 with MCP5000 (spares repair at offer price) - everything seems to work except for mechanical buzz (transformer bushes?) and even with just headphones plugged in it seems to be running very warm.

Did finish up buying the Beomaster 5000 with MCP5000 (spares repair at offer price) - everything seems to work except for mechanical buzz (transformer bushes?) and even with just headphones plugged in it seems to be running very warm.

Check and set the output stage bias as a first step - the instructions are in the service manual. This can cause all sorts of problems if it's off including running hot - the last Beomaster 5000 I bought was sold as spares because it kept shutting off - all it needed was the output bias resetting and it hasn't missed a beat since.

A word of warning, though - be very careful doing it as you need small test clips and ideally three hands. The test points are perilously close to the output transistors and if you use a normal probe and it slips, you can wipe out the output transistors with a bang!

A word of warning, though - be very careful doing it as you need small test clips and ideally three hands. The test points are perilously close to the output transistors and if you use a normal probe and it slips, you can wipe out the output transistors with a bang!

Not sure I can trust myself frankly - my hands were never the steadiest but seem to have got worse recently.
I will probably take the top off and give the insides a thorough dusting.
Seller was saying the MCP was shutting off - found out it has to 'talk back' - also one of the batteries left in was down to 0.9V

advertisement

Back