advertisement

Your favourite retro speakers for a simple loft set up.

novak

pfm Member
Hi, we are sorting our loft space and wanted to set up a simple, fun and cheap retro system.

I have an old Sony integrated (tried it on my Harbeths, works well) and I’m looking for some speakers that would be a good fit for this small space. I might also upgrade the amp at some point… quad 33 or something tasty like that.

For the speakers speakers, I’m thinking initially, something under £100. ideally an old favourite from a few decades ago - 80s/90s? Probably a bookshelf would suit best, or a very tiny floorstander.

JPW? Royd? etc…

Thanks!

If the speakers need to be hard up against the wall, try some Mission 780SE. They are front ported.
Alternatively, the original Mission 780 away from the wall (rear ported).

I've sets, soon to be in the classifieds.
The SE are all about resolution. They are amazing.
The ordinary 780 have a great warmth.

May suit the amp better.

I did have some nice Mission 750LE but now being cared for by @linnfomaniac83

The ubiquitous Mission 760I? or spend a bit more for real wood and have the Mission/Cyrus 780i

Never liked Royd speakers myself

Don't buy a Quad 33, they really are quite bad. A 34/306 though is nice. And then for the full retro experience (but not a back to the wall speaker) some Mission 737R's

for £100? Not a chance!
I see what you mean...
I've just had a look on the net, the prices JR149s are advertised at seem rather over the top for a speaker that is 40+ years old.

A quick look at eBay (UK) showed nothing I would let into my house anywhere near the £100 mark...
Maybe that's why I recently pointed a friend in the direction of ex-dem Monitor Audio Bronze 1 speakers...

There's a huge following for them and in fairness they're pretty good. Poor man's LS3/5a

Add to similarly OTT pricing LInn Kans.

I’d like to recommend my KEFs. Truth be told however they were replaced as wall mounted workshop/attic entertainment by a pair of JBL Control Ones.

High up on the wall in a stuffy enclosed space they transport you back to every dodgy bar you’ve been in over the last 30 years.

The sound is compromised for sure, but it is so familiar and so “right” in context that nostalgia overwhelms your critical faculties.

Which KEF's?

I'm quite a fan of KEF but they never really did many BTW speakers.

Control 1G's yes, like those, but a bit limited in the bass.

If that isn't an issue then also consider the various wharfedale diamond incarnations.

Which KEF's?

I'm quite a fan of KEF but they never really did many BTW speakers.

Control 1G's yes, like those, but a bit limited in the bass.

If that isn't an issue then also consider the various wharfedale diamond incarnations.

The lower C series were meant to be, and are imho, perfect BTW speakers.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/kef-c-series-speakers.271247/

The JBLs sonic performance surprised me. Wall mount them on a chimney brest high up and the bass is remarkable.

JPW, Royd and Mission bookshelf speakers are all good choices as they are easy to drive and sound good at low volume. If you can up the size a bit Heybrook HB1s are similar but with more bass.

I’m having a good time with Mordaunt Short Festivals and Pageants Series 2. If they're too big I’d imagine the Carnival Series 2 would have a familial sound and be similarly good. They can be picked up for reasonable cost.

advertisement

Back