advertisement

USB CABLE

I used to think I heard cable differences back in my 30s, then did a load of blind tests including the Zero Gain kitkat wrapper, coat hanger and keys test and realised that I really didn't hear any difference.

Re-Posting so results don't get buried in comments.

Finally finished the comparison. Each cable was "burned in" for 100 hours. These are my observations, YMMV.

From least to most expensive:

Belden Audio Cable Silver from Ghent Audio $25: This was the first cable I tested. It might have been the best of the group if not for the lack of bass. It had good detail, imaging and musicality. And maybe some of that detail came from the lack of bass allowing the listener to hear mids and highs better. At any rate, I was impressed. If you have a bass heavy system, this one is definitely worth a try, especially at the price point. Oh, and the customer service from Ghent is excellent too.

Audoquest Pearl $49.95: This cable had a lot of bass, and seemed a bit muddied, especially when compared to the Ghen Audio. In my system, it was the worst performer.

Furutech Formula 2 $72.00: The Furutech was a nice cable. it was a nice blend of the two previous cables with balanced bass and good detail, imaging and musicality. This was the cable I used while waiting on the Chord and Curious.

Chord Shawline $270.00: In my Naim gear I've always had the best luck with Chord but I have to be honest, during this entire process I was really excited to hear the Curious. Everybody seems to love it! I received both the Chord and the Curious about the same time and on first listen, the Chord was better. But this was pre-burn in. So I waited through the long and tedious burn in process and what I found on the other end is a wonderful cable. The Chord seems to do it all, well. But is it my favorite?

Curious Cable original $390.00: This is the one I could hardly wait for. I'm always interested in the new guy on the block, making inroads into an industry packed with big $ competitors with huge budgets. It takes something special to break into the middle of an established, competitive industry and Curious seems to have blown in like a hurricane. As I listened to the Curious I found myself trying harder and harder to like it. I really wanted to. it was good, yes, but it did not match the performance of the Chord in my system. It just seemed to have less of everything. It was a solid number two.

At some point I will go back and give the Curious another listen because I continue to upgrade and change my source. Maybe at some point the Curious will start to shine but for now, the Chord is the clear winner. Great cable excelling in every aspect of the listening experience.

Todd

I have to agree with your observations regarding the Belden cable being slightly base light. I currently have two USB cables, an Audioquest Forest and the Belden from Ghent Audi. I prefer the Belden for its clarity but compared to the Audioquest there is a slight reduction in base depth. I had come to this conclusion myself prior to reading your post but it's nice to have ones observations confirmed. I might add that prior to hearing this difference for myself I had always been very sceptical of digital cables having an effect on sound.

Thanks for sharing. My wife also noticed it. She's about as blind test as it gets. I don't tell her anything. All she knows is I'm fiddling with the stereo again and want to know if she can hear differences. Without fail we have the same impressions. She noticed the Ghent bass deficiency right away. But yes, the clarity it impressive.

Alex, there is no "trump" or arguing with the deniers. If they can't measure it or experience it themselves then it cannot exist. It's an inexperienced man's attitude that is usually pervasive in every aspect of their lives and cannot be changed. I just don't have time or energy for it anymore. The most important thing is they're happy with their understanding and enjoy the music. That's cool. That's what it's all about. I don't need or want to change them.

advertisement

Back