advertisement

A thread to catalogue the eloquence, dignity, diplomacy and wisdom of Boris Johnson: V Gone-ish!

Regardless of how Johnson's visit is being reported here, Putin looks on, and sees nothing but a 'Goodyear' blimp with a puncture.

John
Russia wouldn’t launch Kalibr cruise missiles at Ukrainian govt sites in Kiev would they? Like Zelensky is warning after Dugina was bumped off.

If Boris can’t be the UK’s Churchill he will try to be someone else’s. He’s just vanity looking for an adoring audience. What a shallow, pathetic creature he is.

He’s just vanity looking for an adoring audience. What a shallow, pathetic creature he is.

Not the only politician
EaFGulvXQAU3ICd

Am convinced they are just taking the piss, how the hell can he get away with doing feck all with the shit thats incoming and still get paid. The government has gone on holiday and their laughing at the public. Its a huge scandal , people are looking at huge 4 figure bills never mind businesses for christ sake and nobody in charge seems interested in trying to do out to help.

Russia wouldn’t launch Kalibr cruise missiles at Ukrainian govt sites in Kiev would they? Like Zelensky is warning after Dugina was bumped off.

I don't wish to derail this thread, but to answer your question, which I'm assuming is rhetorical, with my own thoughts and observations:

I made the comment, thinking along broader lines of how Johnson sees himself as an esteemed international statesman, but what everybody and his dog sees is something quite different. Emperors new clothes and all that. But maybe the analogy is misplaced in this context.

I’ve been considering whether this visit was more due to an initiative from Zelenskyy, appealing to the Johnson vanity project to attend Independence Day of Ukraine; the consensus as reported by the media that this would be when Putin initiates a renewed attack upon Kyiv. But would Putin risk killing, inadvertently or otherwise, the UK Prime Minister? The inevitable consequence would surely be to trigger intervention by NATO into the conflict. And Putin, to avoid losing face, would have to stand by his vainglorious threats and ultimatums and launch the nukes. (Instead, Putin attacks a different civilian target, killing 22 people at a railway station in Chaplyne. And the atrocities continue unabated.)

The above scenario explains why, earlier in the conflict, there was no continued and targeted attack upon Johnson or other visiting heads of state (that I’m aware of). And crucially, this is what Zelenskyy is banking on. (Have the Americans, projecting forward, miscalculated by taking a leaf out of his book by having Pelosi visit Taiwan? . .)

Just speculation of course, though I do find a morbid irony that the international statesmanship and respect Johnson craves can surely only be made possible by his death. Johnson ought to be careful for what he wishes.

John

Last edited:
Johnson apparently promised another £54million to Ukraine yesterday, which is absolute peanuts compared to the money thrown away on contracts for PPE during the pandemic. Obviously there were some genuine contracts for usable PPE, but a lot of them remain unusable and we're paying to have the kit stored before we pay to incinerate it. :eek:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...s-pandemic-written-off-accounts-show-12530502

But would Putin risk killing, inadvertently or otherwise, the UK Prime Minister? The inevitable consequence would surely be to trigger intervention by NATO into the conflict. And Putin, to avoid losing face, would have to stand by his vainglorious threats and ultimatums and launch the nukes. (Instead, Putin attacks a different civilian target, killing 22 people at a railway station in Chaplyne. And the atrocities continue unabated.)

The above scenario explains why, earlier in the conflict, there was no continued and targeted attack upon Johnson or other visiting heads of state (that I’m aware of). And crucially, this is what Zelenskyy is banking on.
Ooh! Johnson as a sort of human shield! I can get on board with that idea.

Johnson apparently promised another £54million to Ukraine yesterday, which is absolute peanuts compared to the money thrown away on contracts for PPE during the pandemic. Obviously there were some genuine contracts for usable PPE, but a lot of them remain unusable and we're paying to have the kit stored before we pay to incinerate it. :eek:

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19...s-pandemic-written-off-accounts-show-12530502
About 0.2% of what he handed over to the Lady Dido and her business associates.

Spectacular Tory self-own here where a substantial donor, “Lord Cruddas of Shoreditch”, explains he’ll pull funding if the party doesn’t do as he pleases (Twitter). A party owned by the wealthy acting purely in the interests of the wealthy. They no longer even attempt to disguise it.

Why bother to disguise it? The standard comeback is 'Labour is funded by the unions'. For some reason, rich people are more acceptable than workers. That's how capitalism works.

The standard comeback is 'Labour is funded by the unions'.

Which is obviously the whole point of Labour. The party was born out of the struggle of workers against capital and is by definition the political wing of the trade union movement. A collective movement that represents workers. That Labour has been so ineffective in this aim is a disgrace, but conceptually it is a democratic workers collective. That is to be respected. It’s ongoing failure is not.

The Conservative Party are the fundamentally corrupt remnants of a grasping and violent monarchy, aristocracy, Christian terrorism and imperialism, the landed gentry and the slave trade. They are conceptually filth and will never be anything else. A party of class warriors funded by the most dirty money in circulation anywhere.

advertisement

Back