advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

Surprised no mention anywhere here (as far as I can tell), of this:

BBC Two - The Roads to Freedom, Series 1, Episode 1

Actually BBC4 from 27 July; I saw most, not all, of the original BBC2 showing in 1970 (on a black and white TV). Very good production I thought, not that I've read any of the J.P. Sartre. It also for me brought back memories of the 70s.

BBC Four - Colin Baker Remembers... The Roads to Freedom

Perhaps PFM'ers did watch it but have steered clear of a mention given the controversial nature of the content. From a different cultural climate and attitudes, undoubtedly some of which would cause offence today. I understand that the re-showing was the result of a petition.

I watched the whole thing (and read all three books) back in the ‘70s. Tried one episode of the current showing, but didn’t make it to the end. One thing that struck me was that Michael Bryant seemed quite young; when I watched the original series he seemed ancient!

One thing that struck me was that Michael Bryant seemed quite young; when I watched the original series he seemed ancient!

While I wouldn't have said ancient, yes, I certainly get what you mean - a lot younger than I perceived back then (and when viewing in black and white)!

I just watched Passengers (2016) starring Chris Pratt and Jennifer Lawrence. On the whole, it was pretty enjoyable but I would have liked to have seen the film scripted a bit darker as suggested in the video essay below by the Nerdwriter. Oh, and Coldplay for the end credits? FFS!

Surprised no mention anywhere here (as far as I can tell), of this:

BBC Two - The Roads to Freedom, Series 1, Episode 1

Actually BBC4 from 27 July; I saw most, not all, of the original BBC2 showing in 1970 (on a black and white TV). Very good production I thought, not that I've read any of the J.P. Sartre. It also for me brought back memories of the 70s.

BBC Four - Colin Baker Remembers... The Roads to Freedom

Perhaps PFM'ers did watch it but have steered clear of a mention given the controversial nature of the content. From a different cultural climate and attitudes, undoubtedly some of which would cause offence today. I understand that the re-showing was the result of a petition.
I’ve been watching it, a bit dry but rather good.

I've been re-watching 'Taxi', Danny Devito , Christopher Lloyd et al, just hilarious. Interesting to see that the utterly diabolical Frank from Always Sunny in Philadelphia was fully formed in 1979 :)

I started watching Spooks (or MI-5 as it's called in France) - total nonsense but extremely watchable at the same time.:)

We watched ‘who do you think I am’ on iPlayer the other night.

Juliet Binoche plays a 50 something literature professor who sets up a fake social media account and pretends she’s someone else.

Pretty good movie and we’ll made with excellent acting as you’d expect, there’s a bit of a twist at the end then again right at the death of the film too I think it would probably take two viewings though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_You_Think_I_Am

No comment on "The Rings of Power" yet?

Not really sure why its necessary to nearly drown Galadriel and have her lost at sea for most of an episode, nor why its taking so long to let us work out who the man who fell to earth is (well pretty bloody obvious who its going to turn out to be, even if he's about 1500 years early according to my memory of Tolkein's appendices a long long time ago)..... at moment I'm sorry to say its lining up to be a major disappointment.

.No comment on "The Rings of Power" yet?
303931442_2431274663678151_351333597988544775_n.jpg

We watched “Thirteen Lives” on Prime the other night, which we really enjoyed. Even though you know the outcome, it's still a gripping tale, and by all accounts extremely accurate when it comes to portraying the actual events. Sadly, they omitted the bit where Vern Unsworth (a Brit who lives locally & an experienced caver) told Elon Musk to f*ck off after Musk came up with some totally stupid publicity stunt involving a mini-sub.

The only slight divergence from reality is that you can see the underwater shots. In real life, these guys were diving in zero visibility but obviously not practical for the filming!

advertisement

Back