advertisement

Quad ESL 63s

My advice avoid ESLs unless working 100%, can be a very expensive learning process otherwise.

My advice avoid ESLs unless working 100%, can be a very expensive learning process otherwise.
Is an ESL ever working 100%? I was always on mild tenterhooks with my pair of 63s that had been refurbished at Huntingdon a few years before I bought them and were advertised as 100% operational. The noise floor varied from one day to the next (some days completely silent, other a very faint rustling). Suspecting it was humidity-related I invested in a dehumidifier to keep my room below 55% RH on the advice of Quad's Rob Flain. I then realised how daft I was being by effectively letting the tail wag the dog, ditched the noisy dehumidifier and just played music on the speakers and tried my best not to worry about longevity!

Both fuses blowing sounds strange. What could have happened to make both speakers explode in the same way at the same time?

It’s an interesting offer for someone who wants ESL 63s and is prepared for a little adventure, because he’ll deliver and he includes the boxes - at least if the boxes have the polystyrene inserts. There’s a bit of wear but they don’t look as though they’ve been through the mill. If I were in the market I’d get him to ship them straight to a service company and get them appraised. Even with a complete re service it’s a not a bad price for the speakers and boxes.

A lot of people fail to understand that if an item is sold as 'used' it is expected to work and a return is possible.

advertisement

Back