advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

That Christopher Ward GMT watch looks less like the Explorer 2 than Badger's and D Demon's Seiko GMT! Very close except for the dial color.

That Christopher Ward GMT watch looks less like the Explorer 2 than Badger's and D Demon's Seiko GMT! Very close except for the dial color.

Gawd, the more I look at that Christopher Ward GMT the more I regret my recent purchase of the Seiko SPB147!

Gawd, the more I look at that Christopher Ward GMT the more I regret my recent purchase of the Seiko SPB147!
But that is watch buying and collecting all over ... there's always something better around the corner ! Buyer regret is a thing to try to avoid. Celebrate what you have.
I know what my grail watch is, I can't afford it, probably never will, so i've reached the point of acceptance. "Know your place" etc.

I know what my grail watch is

?

8xLDrVx.png

But that is watch buying and collecting all over ... there's always something better around the corner ! Buyer regret is a thing to try to avoid. Celebrate what you have.
I know what my grail watch is, I can't afford it, probably never will, so i've reached the point of acceptance. "Know your place" etc.
I've got my grail watch, a Seiko Alpinist. It was under £300. Call me a cheapskate, but I'm done. Well, other than buying cheap ones for fun.
I wouldn't have wanted to pay the current prices for mine, so I'm lucky.

Great advice there Badger. I’ve decided to put on the Seiko and it’s looking great on my wrist..!

Great advice there Badger. I’ve decided to put on the Seiko and it’s looking great on my wrist..!
There's a YouTube channel ( i think the chap is Jody who runs it) called "Just One More Watch" - ok so it's a cheesy pun - but the message is there.
Your Seiko SPB147 is a great watch - in many ways preferable to the Tudor BB I had (actually I've had 2, both enjoyed, both since sold).
Enjoy.

There's a YouTube channel ( i think the chap is Jody who runs it) called "Just One More Watch" - ok so it's a cheesy pun - but the message is there.
Your Seiko SPB147 is a great watch - in many ways preferable to the Tudor BB I had (actually I've had 2, both enjoyed, both since sold).
Enjoy.

The Tudor BB 58 suits my puny wrists! I haven’t seen the channel you mention but will check it out - I quite enjoy Watchfinder & Co (the voice and the hands) and Teddy Baldassarre.

The Tudor BB 58 suits my puny wrists! I haven’t seen the channel you mention but will check it out - I quite enjoy Watchfinder & Co (the voice and the hands) and Teddy Baldassarre.
The best watch channel (IMHO obv) is "Youre Terrific" - Evan is amusing and has great presenting / videography. Also look for Oisín O Malley, and his walks around Florence. All great content.

Matter of interest, what's your grail watch and why? Is there an alternative or is that The One, to which there is no alternative?

I ask, quite apart from basic curiosity, because my grail was (is) a SARB 017 Seiko Alpinist. I might actually have preferred its predecessor, but they were discontinued and I wasn't prepared to stump up the extra. Either way, I have a SARB 017 and a much cheaper SNK 805 which has a very similar look and feel even though it's by no means a copy. Have a guess which one spends more time on my wrist and which is on now.
By the same token I like the 50 Fathom, but I'd never be prepared to come up with the money. A Seiko homage to such, however, now you're talking. Costs a couple of hundred quid, in lieu of £5k+. Similarly if I wanted a Rolex Sub (I don't, I don't like them at all) I'd be buying or making a very similar thing. The Casio (!) quartz diver with an Ebay bracelet gets very close for literally tenners. It used to be under £50, recent price rises and the sinking £ have pushed it to £60-80 but that's still loose change. Something that's a nod to your grail for under £100 has to have a draw.

To add, I’d not get one from WOS if the day ever comes.
I’d get it from Wempe, Bond St. where I actually tried one on (when buying my partners Nomos) and did consider making a run for it with VC on wrist!

My grail is the Rolex Skydweller. I like the Datejust look, GMT is the most useful complication in my view and annual
Calendar just sounds cool.

I am not sure I’ll ever be able to get one. They seem to made from unobtainium.

To add, I’d not get one from WOS if the day ever comes.
I’d get it from Wempe, Bond St. where I actually tried one on (when buying my partners Nomos) and did consider making a run for it with VC on wrist!

I went to Wempe to try on a Nomos, I knew more about the range than the guy serving me, I don’t know if he thought I was a tyre kicker but he didn’t try very hard. I bought one elsewhere.

Cheers BB

Lovely, but how much? That's just silly. It's not even an automatic.
So you want a 40mm dress watch with a white face, silver hour markers, baton or sword hands, and a white gold or realistically stainless steel case? Easy. £100 to £500, take your pick. Automatic, as a bonus. I bet you can get into Euro manufacture too at that, maybe German brands.
Opening bid - Seiko SNK 789, with change from £100. Now OK, it's not as elegant, but it's a good start.

Lovely, but how much? That's just silly. It's not even an automatic.
So you want a 40mm dress watch with a white face, silver hour markers, baton or sword hands, and a white gold or realistically stainless steel case? Easy. £100 to £500, take your pick. Automatic, as a bonus. I bet you can get into Euro manufacture too at that, maybe German brands.
Opening bid - Seiko SNK 789, with change from £100. Now OK, it's not as elegant, but it's a good start.
I hear you, but that kind of misses the point.
Either way, I dont have one !

advertisement

Back