advertisement

Schematics for Elite Townshend 600c Preamplifier?

Hi

Im Geoff Mead and I didnt design the 600C which was a long time before I collaborated with Max. Sorry I dont know anything about
its design, wish I could help. What I do know though is that the schematics were destroyed in a fire unfortunately.

Hey Geoff, thanks for giving it a go and also explaining why townshend seem unable to provide them!

Ah what a bummer.

I think Max sold my old man his first 600c, the one that created the initial fondness, in the early 80’s which I think he got as an ‘early’ or ‘pre release’ type.

Given the situation the old fella is now in, to get this thing going do you have any advice? I think he’ll give it to a competent audio engineer, but he is also a friend so he wants to make it as easy as he can. Else, I guess it’s just go through one by one collecting values.

Thanks Geoff and all for comments. Anyone for any more? :)

Wedge of cheese looking thing yeah? I remember Max demoing it at Harrogate show around 1981 with huge speakers he'd built that had loads of drive units. Sounded great!

Had use of Townshend Glastonbury speakers for a month or two many years back and they were one of the best speakers I've ever heard to this day!

Looks like the pre will need to be reverse engineered then...

That’s the fella! Small but mighty. I guess you are right - at least it was conclusive, this could have easily been a post and then tumbleweed, which it wasn’t, so that’s something.

I do remember Max saying he made the 600C like that so it would be easy to get at the connectors on the rear. The Allegri nearly came out like that too
but I wasnt as keen.

If close up pics can be made of the pcb front and rear (so they could be overlaid) plus identifying as many components as possible it should be possible to remotely reverse engineer it
Also is it powered by dual +/- power rails or is it single ended ?

I had no idea vinylengine existed until now!

source

My old man wanted to say thanks. He’s handing it over to a chap that will be able to reverse engineer it, but I think it might be some time before he can get pics. He’ll come back with an answer for the power rails too.

Looks like lots packed in to that small box!

Glad you could get some help for it.
Always wanted to try one but only having just one tape circuit was always a problem for me (one tape + tape out for Stax's).

I recall an article in HiFi Answers that was comparing phono stage topologies, particularly those with and without input coupling caps. I believe that the 600C had a complementary input stage to cancel base current and remove the need for a DC block - which could also enable low frequency extension. (Why can I remember that article from the early 80's and not where I put my glasses 10mins ago?).

I had no idea vinylengine existed until now!

source

My old man wanted to say thanks. He’s handing it over to a chap that will be able to reverse engineer it, but I think it might be some time before he can get pics. He’ll come back with an answer for the power rails too.

Looks like lots packed in to that small box!
Good day you need let’s try this one program (SprintL6) for reingenering pcb board
This is sample of make PCB by photo https://flic.kr/p/2n3bmyq
When you make of photo you needed more light and correct geometric place of reingenering device
Also when you build of new PCB you see all correct schematic by roads and parts

Very interesting for me watching well done schematic of this device maybe this one changed Naim MC or MM of early ears ? Some like Nytech :))

Last edited:

advertisement

Back