advertisement

Haydn's Creation Prelude ... to Stravinsky's Rite of Spring. Marvellous performance ...

Thank you George, beautiful sound, wonderful recording even played through YouTube.

Given that it was licensed by DG, I am assuming that it will find its way to CD at some stage.

Fabulous concert hall too.

Dear Vinny,

I do hope it comes out as a commercial publication. Certainly there are many less wonderful studio recordings where every fault ought to be covered. This has something else in my view include fantastic style and elan, as well as tremendous feeling and power.

Rare that any live performance should be so untroubled by the occasional gaff or "bum" notes here and there.

Best wishes from George

Thanks for this George. I had to check a couple times to make sure it was youtube because the sound was just too good for YT.

Dear Frank,

I think that is a perfect demonstration of how a well balanced performance in a great hall [not too large] and excellent recording quality are far more important than whether it is MP3 or 24 bit 96kHz WAV.

What I love is just how musical these players and their conductor really are! Fantastic music making!!!

Happy Christmas. Best wishes from George

I sat in on François-Xavier Roth and the French period instruments orchestra, Les Siecles’ rehearsal for Rite of Spring yesterday then attended the concert. Really was a most remarkable smack in the face. Most conductors are preoccupied with the overall shape of a piece- how it hangs together temporally with a beginning a middle and an end and while I know this is ballet music, that all went out the window. It only seemed to exist in the moment and it was pungent, driven and bestial. I’ve not had this experience in a concert hall before. The only other conductor and orchestra I could have imagined doing something like this is Dudamel and his Venezuelans.

GCTSd20.jpg

Reactions: PsB
I sat in on François-Xavier Roth and the French period instruments orchestra, Les Siecles’ rehearsal for Rite of Spring yesterday then attended the concert. Really was a most remarkable smack in the face. Most conductors are preoccupied with the overall shape of a piece- how it hangs together temporally with a beginning a middle and an end and while I know this is ballet music, that all went out the window. It only seemed to exist in the moment and it was pungent, driven and bestial. I’ve not had this experience in a concert hall before. The only other conductor and orchestra I could have imagined doing something like this is Dudamel and his Venezuelans.

GCTSd20.jpg

I’m not surprised it was good, I’ve been impressed by everything I’ve heard him do. The last thing was Debussy’s Jeux.

GCTSd20.jpg
It sounds as if you had an extraordinary hour of music. Some of Les Siècles' instruments are quite different from what has become the international standard, especially in the brass and woodwind sections. I read somewhere that their clarinet player juggles 4 instruments: two 2-key instruments for Classical music, a slightly more modern one with 7 keys for Romantic period music, and a modern 18-key instrument. One oboist has 6 instruments, another has about 15... It must require amazing flexibility.

advertisement

Back