advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Seriously? I don't believe you. Now either I am a cycling god and nobody is ever faster than me (unlikely) or I look like a big hard bastard and nobody would dare call me a f**ing anything (also unlikely, I'm 5ft 6).
Exactly this, it just sounds made up. Is it a southern thing?

Seriously? I don't believe you. Now either I am a cycling god and nobody is ever faster than me (unlikely) or I look like a big hard bastard and nobody would dare call me a f**ing anything (also unlikely, I'm 5ft 6).

absolutely 100% serious....happened to me before I gave up cycling. Happened to my colleague mate just last week. He is thinking of giving up and commuting by train and foot he is so sick of it.

YMMV

I don't believe you.

sorry but I am not lying or exaggerating..... I had another colleague on my team, used to commute from London by train, and bring his folding bike for the few miles between the train station and campus....he was abused by other cyclists so much he sold his bike and resorted to the bus from the station.

absolutely 100% serious....happened to me before I gave up cycling. Happened to my colleague mate just last week. He is thinking of giving up and commuting by train and foot he is so sick of it.

YMMV
I sincerely hope that if it ever happens to me they are ready for some industrial language and a good deal of confrontation. For their sakes.

I sincerely hope that if it ever happens to me they are ready for some industrial language and a good deal of confrontation. For their sakes.

that is your choice, but neither myself or my colleagues are inclined to react like that. In fact my colleague and friend N who is 6'3" and weighs about 17 stone -'he gave up as detailed above.

the aggressive riding and over taking around here usually involves shouting something like "move over you f×cking c**t, we are faster than you....." I am afraid this is really common - many of my cycling commuting colleagues report similar.
Well, in around 12 years of cycling in London I don't recall any road user ( motorist or cyclist ) shouting anything at me at all lol. I m not disputed what you and others find of course.

I'm not talking about rear lights. They are absolutely necessary. It's the 'much too bright' front lights, which temporarily blind you. Like the unnecessary over-bright ones on many cars.
As woodie says when cycling we want to be seen and not give vehicle drivers (or their lawyers) a lame excuse. So I’m one who uses a bright front light on pulse mode, hopefully at a considerate angle to oncoming vehicles.

But bear in mind that cyclists can only buy what is available and like many markets it’s all marketing of bragging rights and power rather than what should be available. In the UK we don’t have the regulation that you find in Germany per the article below. https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/stvzo-bike-lights/?image=2&type=gallery&gallery=1

And to me that is where angst over UK front lights should be directed.

You have a point.
As I said, not too bright.
I was badly affected by the LED lights on a Range Rover, and contacted them.
‘They meet current regulations’ was their reply.
( There is technology available to dim lights in bright ambient light, eg sunlight )
To my mind, you don’t require such a panoply of lights on a vehicle.
Looks more like ‘bling’ to me.
I’m not saying cyclists are the same, but be sensitive...

As woodie says when cycling we want to be seen and not give vehicle drivers (or their lawyers) a lame excuse. So I’m one who uses a bright front light on pulse mode, hopefully at a considerate angle to oncoming vehicles.

But bear in mind that cyclists can only buy what is available and like many markets it’s all marketing of bragging rights and power rather than what should be available. In the UK we don’t have the regulation that you find in Germany per the article below. https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers-guides/stvzo-bike-lights/?image=2&type=gallery&gallery=1
And to me that is where angst over UK front lights should be directed.
Maybe it's just me but I'm ok with very bright lights but I find I'm very distracted and uncomfortable with bright and pulse mode...yes I see the light but feel I have to avert my eyes, I do my best not to for safety reasons. I feel like I'm having a visual migraine due to the pulsing.

Some of the rear lights are very bright & in my eye-line but I just ask my fellow rider to switch its mode or I ride in front of them. You do need a bright light for unlit roads but beam pattern is more important.

I must confess I am baffled by claims of aggression from fellow cyclists, just never experienced it myself, always say hello & am polite. Of all the things that puts people of cycling I would have thought other cyclists would be well down the list.

I do think London is more aggressive in terms of transport, everyone is in a hurry, seemingly all of the time. I always notice that people use their horns fair more, cyclists seem more on edge as they battle for space. Maybe there is more of a cycling culture up here?

Well, in around 12 years of cycling in London I don't recall any road user ( motorist or cyclist ) shouting anything at me at all lol. I m not disputed what you and others find of course.
I've been cycling in London since 1983 and I've been shouted at once by another cyclist in that time.

I understand it’s not a legal requirement to have a bell (or horn) on a cycle but I do think they are such a good idea. I have one of each - belt and braces sort of thing. I bet none of our Lycra clad friends would dream of having one (extra weight, air resistance etc.) but there has been more than one occasion when I have been overtaken at speed by such a cyclist and a little bit of warning would have been welcome. The thing is they gave me about 2 inches clearance which is not much considering they expect 2 feet or more when a car overtakes them.
Edit: it was quite unnerving

the aggressive riding and over taking around here usually involves shouting something like "move over you f×cking c**t, we are faster than you....." I am afraid this is really common - many of my cycling commuting colleagues report similar.
That's truly horrible behaviour. Sorry you had to experience that.

Hilarious how the usual tough guys are still refusing to accept everyone should be treated equally under the law and that (some) people riding a bicycle should not adhere to the rules of the road.

I can’t believe drivers are genuinely moaning about cyclists’ lights being too bright. Firstly were these the same people complaining about those with no lights and secondly do they also complain about the significant numbers of drivers with misaligned headlights? The latter I find far more annoying than bicycle strobes no matter whether I’m driving or cycling.

I understand it’s not a legal requirement to have a bell (or horn) on a cycle but I do think they are such a good idea. I have one of each - belt and braces sort of thing. I bet none of our Lycra clad friends would dream of having one (extra weight, air resistance etc.) but there has been more than one occasion when I have been overtaken at speed by such a cyclist and a little bit of warning would have been welcome. The thing is they gave me about 2 inches clearance which is not much considering they expect 2 feet or more when a car overtakes them.
Edit: it was quite unnerving
A bell on a road bike is completely useless. I used to have one on a mountain bike as I was using shared trails, I found people hated the sound of it so ended up just saying “excuse me”. I tend to give a verbal warning of coming up behind a horse rider.

It’s just common sense & courtesy.

advertisement

Back