advertisement

Calling on the pfm travel advice service - Manchester branch(!)

hc25036

pfm Member
Travelling from the midlands to Manchester for the test match next week, arriving via the M6.

Looking to stay overnight outside the city to the south and to get the train in for the match and then train out after the game to drive home. Any suggestions for a decent/good hotel (it’s a rare trip out for us so willing to splash out a bit) somewhere nice for a mooch around? Having an EV charge point nearish is a bonus….

Many thanks.

Rick

Don’t forget the tram goes to Old Trafford as well as trains.
This metrolink network map may be useful.
https://tfgm.com/public-transport/tram/network-map
Altrincham is a pleasant suburb, at the end of the tram line the Old Trafford stop is on (about a 20-25 minute trip, at a guess). It also has an excellent foodie and craft market, and is very conveniently located for the M56 and links to the M6. I don't have any experience of hotels round there, but I guess a search of 'boutique hotels Altrincham' might bring something up.

Yep.
The Altrincham line, the East Didsbury line and the airport line all serve the south.
A few stops have a park and ride facility. Most don’t.

Altrincham is indeed good for an evening…it’s where I live…but I’m struggling to think of a hotel I’d want to stay at. The closest is the Marriott halfway to the airport. Instead how about Manchester centre? Dakota (1st choice) or possibly The Midland?

Worsley Marriot is decent, has a golf course also. I’d probably still stay in the centre, there are plenty of decent car parks & the cricket ground is easy to get to.

Definitely an easy track from there. If you want something different I’ve had a few friends East themselves to a night here:

https://www.hotelgotham.co.uk/

You’re right in a great bit of Manchester, and you can get a tram right to the ground. Did it yesterday for the Hundred match. Can jump on at either Market St or St Peter’s Square and go straight to Old Trafford on the Altrincham line!

Thanks all. Due to hotel availability and wanting to avoid the city centre, we’ve gone for staying in Buxton for a couple of days and taking the train in and out for the test match.

Given the performance in the first test, just as well we have tickets for day 1…..

advertisement

Back