advertisement

Cyclists to be awarded equality with motorists.

Strange attitude. We just tolerate stupid road behaviour ... .
Where did I say that? Oh, I didn't.

If you or someone in your family has an accident as a consequence of this ... how would you react?
I have had an accident as a consequence of another road user's stupid behaviour. Have you?

As to 'removing' most bikes from the road ... only the irresponsible ones and quite rightly so. People enjoying cycling will carry on doing so safe in the knowledge that they are covered should something unfortunate occur.
No, it will remove almost all bikes from the road. Every casual user who has one in the shed that comes out half a dozen times in the summer...oh, I would come out but I need to insure it...sorry.

What makes 'kids bikes' different? Are they less in danger or less likely to cause an incident?
see above and have a think. Every child who toddles out around the road where they live with their mates, every couple of weeks, needs insurance? Families are going to pay that, are they? I'll give you a clue, they won't.

I made my point. Most here seem to think it is not necessary. Fair enough.

A bit like the objective Vs subjective argument. It never leads to anything :).

I personally will support any future attempts to regulate cycle ownership and responsible use of those. That includes licensing, insurance, laws for helmet and lights use etc etc.

Oh, we're going to tax children's bikes too, are we? Brilliant scheme. Make sure you tax the little trolleys full of wooden bricks too, just in case the kids venture out onto the road with them. I'm sure the police will be all over that.

Oh, we're going to tax children's bikes too, are we? Brilliant scheme. Make sure you tax the little trolleys full of wooden bricks too, just in case the kids venture out onto the road with them. I'm sure the police will be all over that.

:confused:

Let's all agree that Grant Shapps is a moron, and these proposals are somewhere between clickbait for Tory voters and a dead cat. They'll never see the light of day because, as many posters rightly argue, they are unreasonable and unworkable. Any solution has to be proportionate to the problem. So let's not rise to the bait.

Let's all agree that Grant Shapps is a moron, and these proposals are somewhere between clickbait for Tory voters and a dead cat.
Yes indeed. There was a copy of the DM kicking around at work, predictably the first words under the headline were "Killer Cyclists". Oh yeah. Dangerous buggers, these cyclists.

So let's not rise to the bait.
Problem is that we may not, but shit like this just empowers the arseholes with whom I have to share the road when I'm on my bike. Cyclists don't matter because they don't pay road tax, I'll just hit the indicator (or not) and turn. He'll stop.

this is the answer to being seen

image.png

Let's all agree that Grant Shapps is a moron, and these proposals are somewhere between clickbait for Tory voters and a dead cat. They'll never see the light of day because, as many posters rightly argue, they are unreasonable and unworkable. Any solution has to be proportionate to the problem. So let's not rise to the bait.

totally that...they had similar in Switzerland for years then gave it up as unworkable / not needed (though I believe private liability insurance was/is a requirement for citizens). Anyway, spent a nice evening in Zurich on Monday, 100's of cyclists moving around safely in the multimodal joy of the city centre till late on. After months of fearing going out on two wheels in good old Blighty, now feeling inspired to dust off one of my old bikes here and test out my new knee on some of the local inclines.

Just seen a post on Twitter re the cost of uninsured drivers:

Responsible for 1 in 6 fatal road collisions
Costs £1.8bn per year
1 every 20 minutes

But, yeah, bloody cyclists.

I will be accused of whataboutery by the usual suspects but it works both ways. “Why should I have insurance when all these cyclists & kids are allowed to…”

Just seen a post on Twitter re the cost of uninsured drivers:

Responsible for 1 in 6 fatal road collisions
Costs £1.8bn per year
1 every 20 minutes

But, yeah, bloody cyclists.

I will be accused of whataboutery by the usual suspects but it works both ways. “Why should I have insurance when all these cyclists & kids are allowed to…”

no one is saying that is right either. We need systems in place to catch that lot, and all the cyclists/cars/vans/lorries/etc..... that run red lights.

Sometimes in life, you get caught by an April Fool. The same applies to dead cats. I can't believe I fell for it, especially one from Michael Green.

Moving on.

Sometimes in life, you get caught by an April Fool. The same applies to dead cats. I can't believe I fell for it, especially one from Michael Green.

Moving on.

Are you sure you're not getting Michael Green mixed up with Corinne Stockheath or Sebastian Fox?

Oh, hang on. . .

John

I'm a careful cyclist, always obeying the rules of the road.
The worst cyclists by far are the competitive lycra types. Riding in large groups. Arrogant, 'we own the road' cyclists. With incredibly bright LED front lights badly adjusted. Even on a bright sunny day ! Wearing dark glasses even when it's nearly dark.
MAMILs are almost as bad.
As for Shapps.
Well...

As for Shapps.

just ignore him and he'll go away - which is what i did last time he was door knocking in the constituency. I once happened upon him running Q&A in a local shopping centre - where i asked what it felt like to have boss that was a liar - and he just grimaced at me.

Alias - who care what he calls himself, he is a incompetent politician . I have multiple aliases for social media that do not reveal my identity.....

I used to be a cyclist, gave away two bikes to students for free. I gave up as the lorries round here made me feel unsafe, and the TDF wannabees were aggressive on the road to me, and my ankles are fVcked. I dont miss it.

I am also pedestrian, and a driving god.

advertisement

Back