advertisement

Film and TV chat in general

কাপুরুষ Kapurush (The Coward) 1965, Satyajit Ray.

I watched this on Arte, since they had several of the new wave Bengali director's films on. There's not a wasted shot in this film and the script is almost perfect. I have to confess to being bewitched by Madhabi Mukherjee, those eyes! She's like a blend of Jeanne Moreau/Claudia Cardinale. I love b/w films, though I think this would have been good in colour to see the scenery of the tea plantation.

At one point when the tea plantation owner got out of the jeep to find water for the radiator, he whistled a few lines of Auld Lang Syne..
cheesy.gif
Even though it's in Bengali there is a lot of English peppered liberally through the dialogue, though it fades into the background when the dramatic tension rises. Except for the word 'please'.

I really liked this and can't wait to see Charulata.

vlcsnap-2022-06-29-21h15m50s305.png

I watched Master And Commander on DVD last night. I presume the picture quality would be better on blu ray, and even better on 4K, and perhaps the same could be said about sound quality, but the cinematic experience was still there in abundance. Suffice to say the ocean is an almighty motherphucker once she gets going!

The battle scenes are truly immersive as well. Sure, Russell Crowe is Russell Crowe, but all in all, an excellent film.

Not sure anyone has picked it up but TPTV are showing ‘Kessler’ on Sunday evenings, follow up to ‘Secret Army’, it’s remarkably good.

I watched Rojo last night on BFI, which has some amazingly brilliant movies, great film it’s about the descent into madness of Argentina back in 1975 really quite disturbing but really good too.

The plot is basically about a lawyer who loses it but tries to remain ‘normal’ but he transforms into a total Nazi by the end of the movie which is really a metaphor for the Argentine State.

Highly recommended.

BTW the pictures of the total eclipse of the sun in the film are amazing.

My wonderful Daughter turned up with an unexpected gift for me yesterday.

When she was young, I fed the kids a variety of independent/foreign films - many which are firm family favourites. Daughter managed to track down a film that she saw with her brothers many times, the best fight scenes would have been rewound and viewed umpteen times.
I couldn’t remember the name of this film, although I have thought about it many times this century - The Daughter had to do a lot of memory digging to recall the main character, then had to do research to find the correct film.

“Fong Sai Yuk II”
a 1993 Hong Kong / Chinese film - subtitled

Watched it last night, what a joy of badly translated dialogue, amazing fight scenes and beyond bizarre storyline. Can’t wait to see it with The Daughter again soon.

I watched 'Bull' the other night, complete garbage :rolleyes:

Some mental zombie movie with multiple limb dismembering, gruesome.

I initially thought it was a good old fashioned gangster movie, total waste of two hours.

We watched ‘The Suicide Squad’ 2021 yesterday.

Very poor film.

Storyline, editing and dodgy acting all contributed to a travesty. A pile of tripe.
The crapness was obvious within 10 minutes, but we stuck with it.

Shameful.

Finished Ozark season 4 last night - an excellent series. It's a shame the writers weren't hired to do the last episode of Game of Thrones.

We're watching 'Marriage' on Iplayer, personally I think it's pish but my wife likes it, Sean Bean is playing a right creepy bastard in fact the entire cast are playing creepy bastrds.

And the mental music is, well, mental.

Rewatching Detectorists on iPlayer. Delightful series with a fabulous cast.
Dammit, what did you have to mention Detectorists? This means I'll just have to watch it all again for the fourth time!

Apparently, there's a one-off special being made.

We're watching 'Marriage' on Iplayer, personally I think it's pish but my wife likes it, Sean Bean is playing a right creepy bastard in fact the entire cast are playing creepy bastrds.

I thought with a cast of heavy hitters this couldn't fail, but it does. It feels like a bad version of Mike Leigh. I've watched the first two episodes, and will probably watch the remaining two, just to find out what the mad boyfriend gets up to.

I do quite like the music, it certainly wakes me up at the end of the episode.

I thought with a cast of heavy hitters this couldn't fail, but it does. It feels like a bad version of Mike Leigh. I've watched the first two episodes, and will probably watch the remaining two, just to find out what the mad boyfriend gets up to.

I do quite like the music, it certainly wakes me up at the end of the episode.

Aye it’s a bit Abigail’s party but a Shite version

It was Utter rubbish!
Like watching Marcel Marceau.

I happened to see around half an hour of a weird Japanese film the other week called Blind Beast. Like I say, weird, but strangely compelling at the same time. So weird and compelling I'm tempted to buy and watch the whole thing.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back