advertisement

The Ever-Changing Value of 'Wife Pounds'

BertieWorcester

What-ho!!
Although evident in most Grown Boy's Hobbies, the world of Audio seems to be the most prevalent in the liberal use of 'Wife Pounds'. From various discussions I've had with other downtrodden males, the average rate used seems to be in the region of £2.25 Actual = 1 'Wife Pounds'. I'm even aware of one resourceful retailer who, for a drink, will willingly supply both actual and Wife-friendly invoices. I've personally been able to overcome this particular problem thanks to the versatility and ease of use of Microsoft Excel.

Trying to sneak something into the marital home in the hope that it will go unnoticed is quite another matter. Once, when upgrading from an Ortofon 2M Black to a Cadenza Blue, I had what can only be described as a heart-stopping moment when SWMBO noticed that the cartridge head had changed colour. Trying to think on my feet, I replied that I'd accidentally left a layer of protective tape on the cartridge which I'd been advised to remove to fully release it's sound potential. I'm not fully convinced that I got away with it, but I'm please to report that no large objects were thrown that day.

Have any other Fishies had similar experiences?

No
My wife is very civilized :)
She knows the hifi cost a packet but as it's been paid for by my pocket money she has no issues with it.

We haven't had a money-based argument in more than 45 years of marriage :)

We have taken the "each according to her/his means" literally. Once a year we do the tax returns and check that the percentage of the family budget we contribute is still a valid reflection of what comes in. The rest is our respective "pocket money" to be spent without criticism from the other.

Be a man. You don't need your wife's permission to buy something, or at least you shouldn't. Hi-Fi is a good example because women typically do not value it so asking their opinion is pointless. A holiday they value but it's a waste of time trying to appease them on a purchase they do not understand. Buy what you want and if they complain tell them to go swivel.

The Wife knows how much things cost, usually because I discuss purchases of note.
This gives The Wife the opportunity to voice an opinion as to the positive improvements.

My 2m Black was a gift from Wife, and she could definitely recognise an improvement in the record reproduction. Wife helped to audition the c.d. player, the last big purchase.

Easy Street.

No (hifi) secrets here, we have one current account and one savings account that we both have access to and it's been like that for the last 20+ years. I generally buy 2nd hand gear so don't lose out much to depreciation and in the past have occasionally made a few quid on gear bought from local auctions and freeads etc.
The only things she finds irksome is when I change amps and she can't work out how to use the newly installed one - mainly as her eyesight has gone a bit crap and the labelling on these things is usually tiny.

Years ago My wife bought my SNAPS for me. Later she bought me a CD2. For my birthday a while back she bought me a Muso.
We have always had joint accounts since 1974 into which we put our incomes.

Contrary to the majority of replies, I’m in the same camp as the original poster. I remember years ago taking my very young son to Moorgate Acoustics when they still had the branch in Rotherham. I was after some ridiculously expensive interconnects (I know, I know), and I parked the child at what I felt was a safe distance at the back of the shop while I did the deed. On arriving home the wife asked me if I’d got what I wanted, and how much they cost. Before I could reply, my lad blurted out the correct amount. I simply shook my head. The wife’s response is unprintable.

Although evident in most Grown Boy's Hobbies, the world of Audio seems to be the most prevalent in the liberal use of 'Wife Pounds'. From various discussions I've had with other downtrodden males, the average rate used seems to be in the region of £2.25 Actual = 1 'Wife Pounds'. I'm even aware of one resourceful retailer who, for a drink, will willingly supply both actual and Wife-friendly invoices. I've personally been able to overcome this particular problem thanks to the versatility and ease of use of Microsoft Excel.

Trying to sneak something into the marital home in the hope that it will go unnoticed is quite another matter. Once, when upgrading from an Ortofon 2M Black to a Cadenza Blue, I had what can only be described as a heart-stopping moment when SWMBO noticed that the cartridge head had changed colour. Trying to think on my feet, I replied that I'd accidentally left a layer of protective tape on the cartridge which I'd been advised to remove to fully release it's sound potential. I'm not fully convinced that I got away with it, but I'm please to report that no large objects were thrown that day.

Have any other Fishies had similar experiences?
I can easily imagine Jeeves dissuading Sir from such personal revelation via use of some minor distraction technique.

No issues round our gaff.
'Im indoors has his studio with all it's synths and drum machines; and is pleased to have a decent system to check his mixes on.
I think the only "how much?" was when I spent over a grand on a new cartridge.

Not audio, but many years ago I bought a Fair Isle sweater at a then-trendy shop in London called The Village Gate. When visiting my parents, my mother asked how much it had cost. I told her it had cost half of what it actually did, and still got the slow shake of the head and the ‘Well, they certainly saw you coming’ comment.

Be a man. You don't need your wife's permission to buy something, or at least you shouldn't.

Yeah man up.
Tell 'er nothing - and suck up the MeToo Tax with a smile when your sins come to light, and she decides she's entitled to 'waste' - sorry spend - a similar amount. Or usually a multiple thereof (if they're anything like mine :)

My wife is fairly unobservant unless she hears a rustle which sounds like a chocolate bar being opened.
My ex had something going about chocolate and sweets... she would accuse you of 'snuzzling and guzzling' it ruined the pleasure of such things.

Why do people marry partners who they have to hide things from?

Cheers BB

Quite. If you’re married, there’s not really such a thing as mine and yours. Clearly if one half has a particular spending / debt problem that’s one thing, otherwise it’s irrelevant. I know a couple (well, they’re divorced now…) who pored through bills every month to work out who spent what and whether there should be a balancing payment from one to another. Imagine going out for dinner. Who had the fried rice, did you have a pre dinner drink etc?!

advertisement

Back